PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Lady at the Dog Park

vaknitter
04-27-2008, 08:15 AM
So I just need to vent - we try to meet friends at the dog park every weekend to the let the puppers run, play, and be crazy. It has always been a pleasant experience - the puppers get to interact with other people and other dogs. Then yesterday there was this woman there that kept threatening to spray dogs in the face with some sort of repellant if they came near her (she was rooted to a bench). My dog wasn't going near her so I let it go - then my dog went to the water bowl at the far end of the bench and she aimed at her and I was like OH NO your not !! She told me to consult a trainer and control my dog - Hello she was drinking water - no growl, no threat, wagging her tail - so I gave her a piece of my mind and suggested that if she was scared of dogs maybe she should go home. I called my dog (who has been through obedience class and followed me) and went to the other end of the park. There were 4 other owners there that took up the fight after I left and would you believe the woman continued to try and defend her position !!
People never cease to amaze and aggravate me.

auburnchick
04-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Whatever was that lady doing there? How very strange. If I were you, I would notify the managers of the park. They can keep a watchful eye on the person and intervene if necessary.

So sorry for your unpleasant experience.

:hug:

Knitting_Guy
04-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Ummm, it's a DOG PARK. Hellooooooo.

I would have called the cops on the nut.

Silver
04-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Ditto what he said. :doh:

Cynamar
04-27-2008, 12:04 PM
You don't go to a dog park if you don't like dogs. In fact, you should love dogs. It's their place to run and have fun. I would tell the park managers.

saracidaltendencies
04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
She was probably hoping to be bitten so she could file a lawsuit...What an idiot. I'd definitely tell the park managers in case she goes there again looking for trouble.

gingerbread
04-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Yup I would have called the cops myself. My gosh like others said I think she was looking to be bitten.:tap:

:waving:

Jan in CA
04-27-2008, 12:59 PM
:noway: Wow...

Debkcs
04-27-2008, 01:00 PM
This is not the first time I've either seen or heard of someone who goes into a dog park and threatens dogs. She's sitting right by the water and threatening dogs? Call the cops.

bailsmom
04-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Another vote for calling the Police. I don't see how she has the right to go to a dog park and bring 'protection' with her to use on an animal the park is made for. That would be like going to a childrens park and spraying them with pepper spray if they ran too close to her on 'her' bench. Doesn't seem too legal to me. I'd still call and make a report with the Police so that way they have actual documentation and if someone else calls they'll have a heads up on the situation.

Does she even own a dog that she brings there to play?

People are just so stupid.

Dangles
04-27-2008, 04:41 PM

What he said.

VictoiseC
04-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Yeah, find a sympathetic cop if you can, only other alternative if she's still there (I'm thinking out loud here) is to get all your dog owners together and go and confront here not yelling but all together telling her this is where your dogs run each day. And could she please move on or you will have to get the police. Is that an option?
We have wonderful dog runs here in New York and I've never seen that happen before!

bjc1050
04-27-2008, 06:50 PM

Maybe the DOG PARK should post a sign that reads

NO HUMANS ALLOWED WITHOUT THEIR DOG!:teehee:

vaknitter
04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Come to find out later talking to one of the other ladies there was a community petition last summer to have her banned from the dog park. Needless to say if she is there again I will seriously think about asking the local police dept what our options are. There's just no excuse for her behavior. Maybe I'm just a sucker for animals that I can't stand to see people mistreat them for any reason.
I had a puppy follow me home from fishing the other night and I made my husband walk with me to multiple houses in the rain and myself with a broken ankle to find her home.

Mike
04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I'd remind her that VA is a CCW state and that any side spray from her canister that assaults your senses will put you in fear of your life and give you the legal right to defend yourself up to and including deadly force.

jess_hawk
04-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Maybe the DOG PARK should post a sign that reads

NO HUMANS ALLOWED WITHOUT THEIR DOG!:teehee:
"All humans must be supervised by a canine!"

Come on, what kind of lunatic goes to the dog park if they don't like dogs? (Not that I wouldn't go to the dog park - I don't have a dog/yet- but I LIKE dogs)

sinistral_needler
04-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Triple Ditto! The dog park that I have gone to is actually on County Property and the Sheriff has been called in to mediate between nasty owners like that.

Why would a person afraid of dogs be at a dog park? What a maroon!

Cynamar
04-28-2008, 12:25 AM
We have to get a permit to go to the dog park by our house, I think. I don't go there. Abby really doesn't like dogs. She would be irristibly drwn to the crazy chick on the bench.

YarnKitten
04-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Wow. That crazy lady is lucky she didn't actually spray your dog. Aside from YOU, I can only imagine how the other owners would've reacted when they heard your screaming.

My dog just seems SO ATTRACTED to east Asians (of which there's a fair population in my port city) for some reason. :/ And the majority of them I see aren't too fond of her large dogness. I try to keep her by my side when we walk by them (she's usually off her leash on walks) just because of that.

JessicaR
04-28-2008, 04:10 AM
I would of offered to bite her myself :biting:

Silver
04-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Maybe she didn't know it was a "dog park" and was wondering why so many people bring their dogs to this park? :teehee: Or she's just a mean crazy lady.

Sunshine's Mom
04-28-2008, 10:54 AM
I second the motion to bite her ourselves. I would go crazy if someone maced my dog!!! Holy cow - she would've been punched dead in the face.

stitchwitch
04-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Buy yourself some bear spray, it comes in a container that looks like a small fire extingquisher (think Mace x1000). When she threatens your dog walk over to her and say "mine's bigger and more powerful. Now either get the **** out of this dog park and let me never see you again or I'll spray your *ss with this and the paramedics will take you out, your choice."

Luvmyrottnboy
04-28-2008, 12:47 PM
She is obviously not a well woman!

I agree that if she is there next time, call the cops. Not only is she a threat to the dogs, but if she does spray a dog and the dog bites her...lawsuit! And believe me, she will win.

Google "Congo" and you'll see what I mean.

Funny about the East Asians! My dog comes to work with me a lot and I manage a college dorm which is 80% International. Well he just LOVES Asians and Indians. LOVES them, he thinks ALL Asians are automatic playmates:)

Cynamar
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Stitchwitch has a good idea!

Debkcs
04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm CruellaDeville on Ravelry!

And here, too, I love that idea!

I don't have time right now to read all of the other posts, but a suggestion: Most police departments have community liason officers. Why not set it up so the officer can mosey over there next time you see her, and have him tell her, "No dog, no dog park." I'm betting she won't pepper spray him.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I agree with the others. If she was using anything OTHER THAN water or bitter apple (a spritz used in dog training... the dogs don't like the smell... my concern with this is that they'd learn to NOT drink from the dish either) she'd end up with my 3 foot sword up her butt (yes, I collect swords.... ) and I'm not even a dog person (I think they're smelly and way too needy... i prefer my cats) but I don't think ANYONE has the right to threaten an animal, esp when all they're doing is what they normally do... play... eat...drink...

Cynamar
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
And doing them in a place specifically designated for THEM!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
exactly!

Jan in CA
04-30-2008, 06:56 PM
:noway: She had NO dog and she was sitting in the dog park threatening the dogs. That woman is not right.

BinkyKat
04-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I would of offered to bite her myself :biting:
ditto!
If I lived there, I would take my cat's on leashes and then blubber about how the dogs are freakin' them out! :teehee:
Takes all kinds to make a world I guess...:??

knittingymnast
05-04-2008, 09:11 AM

I agree. If she had problems with dogs, them she should have gone home. I mean, what the heck? WHY would you spray dogs in the face with a repellent and then say that they need to get some help of some sort. That's all messed up.

:hug: Sorry you had a bad experience.

tokmom
05-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Buy yourself some bear spray, it comes in a container that looks like a small fire extingquisher (think Mace x1000). When she threatens your dog walk over to her and say "mine's bigger and more powerful. Now either get the **** out of this dog park and let me never see you again or I'll spray your *ss with this and the paramedics will take you out, your choice."

:roflhard: