PDA

View Full Version : Sock knitting

blueeyes28
04-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Does anybody here prefer to make socks cuff down instead of toe up?Today I realized that of all the socks that I have made the most comfortable are the first ones I made using silvers sock class for the double pointed needles,I enjoyed learning the other methods but I think it may be time to get back to basics.Anyone else feel this way?

losnana
04-28-2008, 07:28 AM
I do, although I've only made 1 pair toe-up. I've found that the cuff down is just as easy to fit, and the patterns seem easier to me. Maybe it's just lack of experience with the toe-up, but I doubt that I'll do any more that way.

Mirl56
04-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Most of the socks I've made have been top down, though I am doing a pair toe up right now.

I've never had issues with fitting; I've used different patterns each time and they always fit great. My feet seem to like a heel flap foot better then the few other types I've tried. I've never had problems trying them on as I go as may toe up advocates say that way is easier.

The only advantage I can see for toe up is if you're fearful of running out of yarn and want to knit until you do.

gingerbread
04-28-2008, 08:19 AM
I love the top down socks. I have been knitting them for almost two years now. I have tried the toe up but just can't get the hang of the way it starts. Oh well I do love the top and so does my dh. I make them for him. In fact those are the only ones he wears now.;)

:waving:

Sunshine's Mom
04-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I haven't tried doing toe-up (it's complicated to me). But I can't get enough of doing socks top-down! Stick with what you love I say!

jdee
04-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I've knit socks toe-up and cuff-down, and I like them both ways. I must say, though, that if I'm working two at the same time, I find it easier to CO with toe-up's.

tootie44
04-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I always knit cuff down. I tried toe up once and it didn't work out for me as well.

labeelady
04-28-2008, 04:19 PM
I always knit cuff done. Like tootie, I tried toe up once and it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. However, now that I've been learning short row heels, I may give it a go again. The pair I'm working on now with Vinca yarn has short row heels, but they're cuff down, knit in plain stockinette with a 2 in cuff.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
yup!

It's easiest for me to do and i don't have a hard time doing the gusset anymore. I also have small enough feet that in order to try them on i can slip my foot through the middle of the dpn's without bending them at all :)

Mulderknitter
04-28-2008, 06:06 PM
While I would like to learn toe up, I really like the cuff down method. I have no problems with sizing, but I'm lucky. My mom has the same size foot as me:yay:
I'm currently trying to knit a different sock pattern each time I have the urge for socks, so cuff down is better for me because I have no problems with the heel or gusset that way.

Plantgoddess+
04-29-2008, 09:13 PM
I've always done cuff down and it's become a breeze. I just completed my first pair of toe up using Turkish cast on and thought I'd scream, oh wait I did because the dog wouldn't quit barking at a duck. I found that I got bored with the pattern by the time I hit the leg and I had a hard time not making the sock shorter than I normally like. Aside from that I would make them again. I have seen other toe up patterns that look a lot more complicated at the beginning with w&t's and other construction methods, I'm not sure I'll convince myself to try those.

The.Knitter
04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I also prefer top down's. I am blessed to have a DH that bought me a set of Harmony sock needles as a present and I use them and make the top downs with no problems now. I had a problem with laddering, but have figured that out FINALLY (with a lot of help from my KH Any Sock KAL friends)! I have no interest in learning toe up's or two circs. I'm happy with the way I knit them now (thanks to Silver).

blueeyes28
04-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks for all the feedback,I just started a pair of cuff down socks I am using magic loop instead of the double points just because I have a horrible time with laddering.