PDA

View Full Version : $5.00/gallon? I just heard that on the news-that is the prediction

boo1
04-28-2008, 01:06 PM

guess I'll be staying home at LOT.

Spikey
04-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Crazy! Just traded in my Accord Hybrid for a Prius.

KnittingNat
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I already mentioned it on the "Gas prices in your area" thread, that here in Israel we pay equivalent to 7.2$/gallon for 95 and life is much more expensive here than in the US, so the expenses on gas are very high. I think that comparing to Europe, US always enjoyed mystically low gas prices. I'm not saying that to annoy you, just mentioning that your future is our long forgotten past:teehee: Of all countries in the Middle East, we are those without oil :hair:

lelvsdgs
04-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Crazy! Just traded in my Accord Hybrid for a Prius.
Just wish they'd make those more affordable for all of us... I'd love to have one!

cftwo
04-28-2008, 02:22 PM
And I have a bunch of travelling to do the next few weeks... oh, well.

suzeeq
04-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Heh me too. We're going on a 2500 mile trip and bought a pickup because we have to gather up things in a couple different places. Hopefully, it'll get more than the 20mpg it's supposed to.

One thing though about comparing gas prices in Europe or Israel to the US, we probably have to drive more here. Most european countries are only as big as some of our medium to smaller size states. While we don't drive across an entire state every day, towns, especially in the West, are 40-100 miles apart. So for people in rural areas, just getting to the grocery store involves going quite a few miles. Whereas I think in Europe a lot of towns are only 5-10 miles distance, so you may not have to do lots of driving to do basic shopping.

Debkcs
04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
guess I'll be staying home at LOT

Us too, and we'll be walking the one mile to our son's house, the half mile to the nearest grocery. Thankfully, it's a really nice one.

This will make time for more knitting!

Cynamar
04-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Oh, gosh!

Stonington
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree, I would take mass transit in a heartbeat to save gas but it is just not available where we live.. so I commute 1.5 hrs to work and then home. We chose to live where we do so took that into account (when gas was 2.00 a gallon lol) but it gets tougher with each price hike, love the subaru! :heart: I feel bad also for the long hall truck drivers.. several left here this weekend heading to Washington for a rally regarding the price of fuel.

anne
sebago, me
Heh me too. We're going on a 2500 mile trip and bought a pickup because we have to gather up things in a couple different places. Hopefully, it'll get more than the 20mpg it's supposed to.

One thing though about comparing gas prices in Europe or Israel to the US, we probably have to drive more here. Most european countries are only as big as some of our medium to smaller size states. While we don't drive across an entire state every day, towns, especially in the West, are 40-100 miles apart. So for people in rural areas, just getting to the grocery store involves going quite a few miles. Whereas I think in Europe a lot of towns are only 5-10 miles distance, so you may not have to do lots of driving to do basic shopping.

KnittingNat
04-28-2008, 04:26 PM

I definitely have to agree with that. I live in the capital, so I drive 15 min to work and 10 min to the supermarket I like (not the one across the street). And still - I hate public transport and I wouldn't trade the car. We don't have buses on Shabbat (Saturdays), so you can't go out or go anywhere and the car is your only way. We're also driving to my in-laws about 65 miles every two weeks and with our mpg it's cheaper than the bus :shock:.

evona
04-28-2008, 04:27 PM

I 2nd this! I live in the Los Angeles area. It takes me 45 minutes to drive to work and 45 minutes back home in bumper to bumper traffic. The public transit is deplorable. I tried taking it and I was gone a minimum of 12 hours of every day with 2 hour commutes each way to work/home. And God forbid anything be wrong with the roads. Since there is no choice to take alternative routes on the bus you are stuck until the road clears. With kids to feed and care for the amount of time I'm already away from home is too much in my opinion.

There are people in rural farming areas that have to travel upward of 50 to 100 miles a day. I have a friend that works at a preserve I volunteer for here in California. He only lives about 10 miles away but because a rugged mountain range with no roads separates him from his job he has to travel 50 miles to work. We have a humongous country and there is just no choice but to drive if we want to work/buy food etc. Unless you live in places with great public transportation like New York or San Francisco you just don't have a choice. This greatly affects how much gas is used even if it IS less than Europe and Israel. Currently I pay approximately $50 a week in gas, sometimes more depending on how much running around I have to do for the kids as well. That's cheap compared to some of my friends though.

Silver
04-28-2008, 04:28 PM
:noway: My husband is currently spending almost $1000 in gas a month. (He's an automotive locksmith and drives all day.) If he gets any crankier, I don't know what I'll do with him.

evona
04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
I definitely have to agree with that. I live in the capital, so I drive 15 min to work and 10 min to the supermarket I like (not the one across the street). And still - I hate public transport and I wouldn't trade the car. We don't have buses on Shabbat (Saturdays), so you can't go out or go anywhere and the car is your only way. We're also driving to my in-laws about 65 miles every two weeks and with our mpg it's cheaper than the bus :shock:.

What kind of car do you have? Also, what is the cost of public transport over there comparatively? Is it reliable? I am just interested because my boyfriend and I were thinking of aliyah after my kids are grown. Its just a thought for now and more for his sake. Both his mother and father are Jewish and really only my father was Jewish. I know by Jewish law that doesn't really make me Jewish, but I was raised by my father so I feel Jewish :rofl:

As a comparison here in L.A. it currently costs $5 a day for a day pass or $1.25 per trip. I don't remember how much for a pass anymore, but I think its about $70 a month.

evona
04-28-2008, 04:38 PM
:noway: My husband is currently spending almost $1000 in gas a month. (He's an automotive locksmith and drives all day.) If he gets any crankier, I don't know what I'll do with him.

OMG - I am so so so so sorry! I also feel so sorry for all the truck drivers out there. I just don't see how they are getting by. Especially the independents

dustinac
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah we are in the same boat...growing up in WV, I couldn't get used to Columbus so we moved farther out when gas was cheaper (6yrs ago)...We live in the country but JD has to drive 1.5hrs to work and then home...I'm walking up to the bus stop now for Isaiah (the bus can't come out our road so meets us at the highway)...thankfully it's been pretty...I've always went to town once every 2wks so didn't have to change my shopping ways...so my car is pretty much sitting right now :rofl: ... JD's car gets better gas mileage but still we are pretty much staying home...no extra trips out...Come summer the kids and me will head back to WV for vacations...hopefully :teehee:

Silver
04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
OMG - I am so so so so sorry! I also feel so sorry for all the truck drivers out there. I just don't see how they are getting by. Especially the independents
It's ok, we deal with it. It's not hurting us yet, and his boss just gave everyone a raise to help deflect the cost of gas. But he does get cranky when he's adding up his gas cost. I mean, $1000 a month in gas in a Honda Element will kinda take your breath away. I can't imagine what truckers are spending.

KnittingNat
04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
What kind of car do you have? Also, what is the cost of public transport over there comparatively? Is it reliable? I am just interested because my boyfriend and I were thinking of aliyah after my kids are grown. Its just a thought for now and more for his sake. Both his mother and father are Jewish and really only my father was Jewish. I know by Jewish law that doesn't really make me Jewish, but I was raised by my father so I feel Jewish :rofl:

As a comparison here in L.A. it currently costs $5 a day for a day pass or $1.25 per trip. I don't remember how much for a pass anymore, but I think its about $70 a month.

I'll answer you tomorrow by PM, it's a complicate issue. It's just very late here right now and I'm not really focused:teehee:

lelvsdgs
04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
We are in the process of moving our daughter about 9 hours away by Uhaul and are not looking forward to the gas bill for that. We have mediocre public transit that I am forced to and when I had to rent a car to go house hunting what a shock! I hadn't driven since August... This is a scary situation.

Jan in CA
04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
I would dearly love a public transportation system! We do have buses, but... really the only ones who take them are the immigrants from south of the border. I would never feel comfortable on the bus and not because I'm prejudiced, but because I don't speak the language and I'd feel like an foreigner in my own town. Just a fact of life here so please don't turn this into a political thread.

Anyhoo.. I've been to NYC and I love that everyone takes the subway and buses. I would love to live there!

snowbear
04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
here they have busses.. but they aren't very conveinent. They are trying to start a rail system.. but I doubt if it ever goes through.

I drive 15 miles round trip 4 days a week. I shop on my way home, and the p.o. and anywhere else I need to go. I have cut my extra trips. I use to spend 39 a month.. now, I spend 2 x that amount. I know that may not seem a lot, but for it to double in just 5 months, w/ other expenses climing, I looking for a moped, lol .

KnittingCommuter
04-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I am lucky enough to be able to walk to the train to go into Boston each day and then grab the subway to go into Cambridge. It is by no means a short commute, but between the price of gas and what I would pay for parking, I am grateful this option is available to me. I drive an old (1998) VW Beetle, and it kills me to fill the tank now, but it is great on gas.

evona
04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I am lucky enough to be able to walk to the train to go into Boston each day and then grab the subway to go into Cambridge. It is by no means a short commute, but between the price of gas and what I would pay for parking, I am grateful this option is available to me. I drive an old (1998) VW Beetle, and it kills me to fill the tank now, but it is great on gas.

That's great! I really wish that L.A. would get its act together with respect to public transportation. Unless you work downtown the public transportation is mostly inconvenient. I live in the San Fernando Valley and commute to the Westside every day. For such a busy area with so many people commuting to it there is just no viable options to get over the hill by bus. 13 miles between home and work and it just SHOULD NOT take 2 hours to get there. It shouldn't take 45 minutes either (which is does by car) but at least that is somewhat better. I did get a LOT of knitting done when I was taking the bus though. :rofl:

I was talking to a farmer at one of our local farmer's markets and he told me he came from Santa Paula to Northridge. Santa Paula is a town in Ventura County - just north of us and its about 45 miles away. I said "wow, that's a distance huh?" and he said "Takes about 40 minutes." Of course that makes sense considering regular freeway speeds, but I about fainted considering how long it takes me to get less than half that distance :roflhard:

evona
04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I would dearly love a public transportation system! We do have buses, but... really the only ones who take them are the immigrants from south of the border. I would never feel comfortable on the bus and not because I'm prejudiced, but because I don't speak the language and I'd feel like an foreigner in my own town. Just a fact of life here so please don't turn this into a political thread.

Anyhoo.. I've been to NYC and I love that everyone takes the subway and buses. I would love to live there!

As a fellow Southern Californian I know what you're saying - 'nough said :)

I've never been to New York so I can't judge their system, although I've been told it is the best there is. I absolutely LOVE the BART and MUNI system in San Francisco; however, I about rip my hair out every time I go there. My mom lives up there and soon so will my sister and her partner. I lived in Santa Cruz for a couple of years and the kids and I would go up to visit mom about once a month or more. By the time I got there and found parking after making the inevitable multiple wrong turns and winding up on one way streets that took me miles out of my way, putting up with people suddenly double parking right in front of me and drivers who generally make L.A. drivers look like the most polite people in the world I would need a couple of hours and a couple of asprin just to unwind. Then it would be time to leave again. :ick:

Unfortunately, now it looks like I will have to endure that place even more so as it looks like even my DD is thinking about moving there in the next 5 years :wall:

suzeeq
04-28-2008, 10:44 PM
It takes me 45 minutes to drive to work and 45 minutes back home in bumper to bumper traffic. Yabbut, knowing LA, that's only about 10 miles..... :teehee:

Okay, just saw your other post - it's actually 13. But yeah, I've driven around LA just visiting, it's not too bad except rush hour. Or except the 405 - that's crowded almost any time of day, any day of the week.

evona
04-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Yabbut, knowing LA, that's only about 10 miles..... :teehee:

Okay, just saw your other post - it's actually 13. But yeah, I've driven around LA just visiting, it's not too bad except rush hour. Or the 405 - that's crowded almost any time of day, any day of the week.

Yeah - and wouldn't ya know the 405 is the main corridor between me and work :roflhard: I have shortcuts but they take about the same amount of time. I just prefer them to being stuck on the freeway at a standstill. I get clausterphobic or something being stuck in the middle of a traffic jam. I literally start to panic. I'd rather endure the stop signs or curvy roads up the hill and at least move, of course now I have to look for the flattest straightest way there to save gas while also trying to save my sanity.

BTW - the best time to drive on the 405 is 3 a.m. on a Tuesday :roflhard:

suzeeq
04-28-2008, 11:41 PM
I just prefer them to being stuck on the freeway at a standstill.

Yeah, I've done that when stuck under the Getty Center on a Sunday afternoon. Armed with a map, I'd rather be moving than sitting. This was about 10 years ago when the PCH was closed because of mudslides. Was never there on a Tuesday at 3 am though... Will remember that next time I'm there. ;)

lelvsdgs
04-29-2008, 04:42 PM

I was in an accident in August and have been on public transit ever since. Our problem isn't immigrants but sometimes our busses don't feel particuarly safe either. My daughter and I have gotten off early a few times because some of the mentally challenged folks get violent. People take busses here mostly because they don't have another choice (like me). I have seen a whole nother side of life by being on the bus system. But at least I have a realtively inexpensive if not convenient way to get around. I wish we had the transit systems of a bigger area!

kateycp2k
05-31-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm fortunate that I live in an area (New Jersey) with great public transport. I'm 15 minutes by car from a train station that can get me to NYC and Philadelphia in an hour's time. We also have buses that go through our development that go right into the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC and one of the local malls on the weekends but I have not tried them yet.

My law firm also subsidizes part of my mass transit - we get a quarterly allotment for our train/bus passes - not even taken out of paychecks; just the reimbursement handed to you straightaway! It helps that three of the four members of our firm's administration take mass transit to the office; sets a great example for everyone.

My community is also very walkable, and I can stroll on foot to the bank, drugstore, diner (it would not be New Jersey without a diner), halr salon, both branches of the public library (though one is a bit of a hike than the other), and a nice downtown the next town over.

And on top of this, New Jersey is one of the states with the lower end of the high gas prices.

I don't say these things to brag; my heart goes out to all of you who have higher gas prices than we do and less accessible (or nonexistent) public transportation. My boyfriend lives in Connecticut, one of the states with the highest prices for gas. And I have a friend in California who would take the greater Los Angeles public transportation system (until he was transferred closer to home) and tell me stories about how fellow riders would say to him (in English and Spanish), "is your car broken?"

I only hope and pray that the rest of America can get on board and reap the benefits of mass transit. Perhaps these high prices will take us there.

Debkcs
05-31-2008, 02:01 AM
Since my DH can't drive anymore, and I don't work anymore, we don't use as much gas, but I do feel sorry for those who are STUCK with long commutes in areas with very poor or no mass transit.

When we lived in New Mexico, we drove 38 miles each way to work, and to church. Can't imagine doing that now, not only are the gas prices sky high, but I'm ten years older. ;)

knitncook
05-31-2008, 11:51 AM
As much as we love the idea of living out in the country, we've come to realize that it wouldn't be pracitcal with the gas prices. Our dream is to live in the Portland, OR metro area where there is a wonderful public transportation system. Our public transport SUCKS! (And that's being nice!) It has a real stigma of being the "poor black transport system" There are a few college students that use it and the college has a branch that runs the campus for free each day (since parking is a premium and it is a HUGE campus). But the bus system was losing money so they cut back on the hours from 6am - 9pm to 8am to 5pm. And they cut the number of buses running, so rather than having a bus every 15-20 minutes they are every 30-45 minutes. My favorite cashier at the grocery store doesn't own a car and relies on public transportation (they chose not to own a car). Now she has to walk to work because she starts at 7am. The manager was really nice and doesn't schedule her for any hours after the last bus runs. If we had public transportation that actually worked we would use it.

I'm just out of my comfort range to walk to the grocery store. It's just over 4 miles. By the time I got there, did my shopping and walked home my ice cream would be melted (especially in the summer). We do walk to the mall (1.1 miles) where the dollar movie theater is and we walk to the neighborhood park. But everything else is really out of walking distance and in the summer it is so miserable down here. I would love to see the little convenience stores in town become small bodegas. There is one just half a mile from my house, but the price of food there is convenience store prices ($6 for a gallon of milk?)

Pat in Ca
05-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Public transportation takes energy to operate as well...

If you believe we should start on the road to energy independece..
check out this website and sign the petition..(there are other issues other than energy on this site) make your opinions known whatever they are.. you can link to your senators and congressmen and send them and email..

Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less... otherwise get used to higher prices
(Europe $8-$9 a gallon)...supply is limited because of the tremendous growth of China and India..millions of people have improved their way of life requiring more energy..

Check out this website ..we can do more than just complain..

www.americansolutions.com

tokmom
05-31-2008, 01:41 PM
My dh has taken to carpooling and he only works 12 miles from home. I was going to head back part time, but with the gas prices, I'm not sure it's worth driving 45 minutes away and back again.

We live in a small town that has NO public transportation. I wish they'd start it up. I would be more than happy to only drive 5 miles to town and catch a bus to the larger cities.
I'm hoping more businesses come in to our town with basic services, so I don't have to drive out of town for school supplies and such.

It scares me, it really does. Between the cost of gas and food, our budget has taken a hit.