PDA

View Full Version : amazing crock pot recipe!

stagebear
04-28-2008, 08:07 PM
with 6 ingredients and 10min of prep, you'll have an amazing meal!

Ingredients:
9 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
18 pieces of bacon
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup flour
2 (10oz) cans cream of mushroom w/ roasted garlic soup
seasoning salt

cut the chicken breasts in half, then wrap each piece with a slice of bacon - place in crockpot
mix sour cream, flour, and soup in a bowl then pour over the chicken.
cook on low for 6-7 hours.
add seasonsing salt to taste. (i usually wait until it's partially cooked to season.)
enjoy!

HollyP
04-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks for sharing. I loooove my crockpot and am alway looking for new recipes.

Silver
04-29-2008, 08:13 AM
That sounds great! How do you serve it? Over rice?

Luvmyrottnboy
04-29-2008, 08:29 AM
OMG! That sounds DELICIOUS!

Thanks for sharing!

stitchwitch
04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Crock pots rock! Thanks for the recipe, it sounds great.

Silver
04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm making this for dinner tonight! I'll post back on how the crew likes it. :)

Jan in CA
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Sounds good, but I wasn't sure if it was something I could eat. I figured it out (appx) and if you count it as 18 servings (1/2 breast each) then it's totally doable!

Double these numbers if you count it as 1 breast per person.

auburnchick
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
It sounds good, but I can't cook with cream of anything because my dh is lactose intolerant.

Question: Do any of you substitute these cream of whatever soups with anything? It really limits me on what I can cook.

threesmom
04-29-2008, 02:30 PM
I love crock pot recipes! Yum!

Another one I like too that is almost as quick as Stagebears -

boneless chicken breasts
3-6 cloves of garlic (depending of size and taste)
fresh rosemary of thyme ... or dried
some white wine
and some chicken broth
Then I cook it on high or low depending how much time I have. Sometimes I add tomatoes or veggies. I like flexibility.

I normally dip the chicken in flour mixed with salt/pepper first and quickly cook it in a pan to get it brown - I like the flavor, and the flour helps make a thicker sauce. But I hadn't thought of sour cream ... might have to try that.

Auburnchick -I've subed the cream or cream soup in things for a cream-ish sauce. I normally use milk that I thicken with a roux or slurry (where I mix a bit of flour with milk before adding to the warm milk), but I wonder if you couldn't do something similar with chicken broth or even Lactaid? Maybe you could use cornstarch to thicken the broth ... sort of like gravy?
Here's (http://www.recipezaar.com/204854) another idea too

HTH

auburnchick
04-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Auburnchick -I've subed the cream or cream soup in things for a cream-ish sauce. I normally use milk that I thicken with a roux or slurry (where I mix a bit of flour with milk before adding to the warm milk), but I wonder if you couldn't do something similar with chicken broth or even Lactaid? Maybe you could use cornstarch to thicken the broth ... sort of like gravy?
Here's (http://www.recipezaar.com/204854) another idea too

HTH

Thank you! That is just what I needed! :thumbsup:

:muah:

Silver
04-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Sounds good, but I wasn't sure if it was something I could eat. I figured it out (appx) and if you count it as 18 servings (1/2 breast each) then it's totally doable!

Double these numbers if you count it as 1 breast per person.
How did you do that Jan? That's so cool, thanks for posting! I only used 6 breasts, not cut in halves. Everything else is the same amount. Will it change the nutritional info much?

It's been in the crock pot for about 6 hours... it's getting close to being ready. Both the kids have been swarming around sniffing, peeking in the crock pot, and telling me how good it smells. :)

stitchwitch
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I bought the ingredients for this today. We're going to just try 4-5 boneless/skinless breasts since it's just my DH and me eating it. I figure we can have left overs for a few days. The bacon kind of wigged me out but I think it will be alright since I'll obviously use less. :passedout:

Silver
04-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Well it was a hit. :cheering: DH ate until he could eat no more. The kids loved it too. I served it over rice, but I think over noodles would be great too.

HollyP
05-01-2008, 11:28 PM
I got all ingredient I needed today to make it for dinner tomorrow. I think I will be serving it over pasta as we had rice tonight.

stagebear
05-02-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm glad you all like it. I found it for a potluck, so I didnt serve it over anything - but rice or pasta would be great. I ate the left over sauce with french bread which was great.

tokmom
05-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks! I have chicken breasts that need a new recipe and I love crockpots!:yay:

annomalley
05-04-2008, 01:37 PM
How did you do that Jan? That's so cool, thanks for posting!
Yes, Jan, how did you do that? I'm trying to figure out how to get the nutritional value for dishes where the recipe doesn't give it (my DH is in Weight Watchers), and I'm at a loss.

kellyh57
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I have a program that's called Master Cook that gives you nutritional information. It's about $30, but it has a ton of recipes in it and you can add your own (via the internet/Word, or typing them in etc.) It's totally cool for that aspect :) As far as WW- if you're online with it, you can enter your own recipes and get point values.

Kelly

Knitting_Guy
05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I had to do a double take on the title. The first time I glanced at it I thought it said "Crack Pot Recipe" :rofl:

Jan in CA
05-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I had to do a double take on the title. The first time I glanced at it I thought it said "Crack Pot Recipe" :rofl:

:roflhard: I was just going to post that very thing myself! Crack Pot Recipes.. :teehee:

JessicaR
05-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Making this today for my mom's birthday dinner. I didn't have that much chicken but I still made the same amount of sauce. Do you think I should add a little water to make up for the liquid it would have gotten from the other chicken?

I'm serving the sauce over wide egg noodles and making green beans as well.

tarrentella
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
i just can't get my head around using soup as a cooking suace! i don't know why it just seems wrong to me, but i keep seeing loads of recipes from the US which use cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup. i guess they taste nice though!

stitchwitch
05-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Making this today for my mom's birthday dinner. I didn't have that much chicken but I still made the same amount of sauce. Do you think I should add a little water to make up for the liquid it would have gotten from the other chicken?

I'm serving the sauce over wide egg noodles and making green beans as well.
I used the same amount of sauce ingredients but I used only four or five boneless/skinless breasts, it turned out great. It should be really good over noodles. I had it over mashed potatoes and DH and I ended up eating it for 3 days. We usually tire of something but this was really good.

JessicaR
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks. So far it doesn't look like it's "dry" or anything. I'll just keep my eye on it.

Silver
05-15-2008, 03:45 PM
i just can't get my head around using soup as a cooking suace! i don't know why it just seems wrong to me, but i keep seeing loads of recipes from the US which use cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup. i guess they taste nice though!
Straight from the can, the soup is condensed. To make the soup, you're supposed to add a full can of water to it. But if you just use it condensed, it's more like a thick, rich, flavorful gravy. :)

JessicaR
05-15-2008, 05:53 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm adding fresh, sliced mushrooms towards the end. I'm glad I could finally make this, my husband hates mushrooms :roll:

lelvsdgs
05-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I suppose it is a US thing, but I also had never heard of it until I roomed with a girl from the midwest. My first thought was EWWW but it actually works well, like Silver says, condensed-straight out of the can.

stitchwitch
05-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I think the whole soup as an ingredient thing started back in the 50's with the Campbell's Soup Cookbook. It was pure genius. Here was this cookbook with hundreds of recipes that use their canned soup as a flavorfier, it saved time and money for women who wanted to put on a a decent meal but didn't want to spend all day doing so. To this day, you can cram just about any cream O' whatever soup into the crock pot with whatever meat and some veggies of your choice and come out with a dinner in a few hours with little effort. I still have the food stained copy of the original book my mom had from her wedding in 1952, I still use some of those recipes. More from their website: http://www.campbellskitchen.com/

mare-nitt
06-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I made this chicken crock pot dish today, I used cream of brocolli soup instead, it was a hit. thanks