PDA

View Full Version : Giving Back

KnittinMitchie
04-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I have recently teamed up with a local girl scout troop to teach knitting. I met their troop leader through my husband. Her youngest daughter will be in the 2nd grade come fall. While on the phone with her last night I asked if the girls would like to learn to knit. We have began working on a project list for them.

Along with earning the Craft Badge, they can also donate some of the items they knit to different organizations. I know they can get another award for donating the knitted items. Hopefully they can earn the badge along with some other awards.

The troop leader has an older daughter who is also in girl scouts and is going to see if the older girls want to learn too. If I teach the older girls I'm going to take them from raw fiber all the way to the end and then to knit it into something.

dustinac
04-30-2008, 12:38 PM
:happydance: that's wonderful!!

feministmama
04-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Gotta love the girl scouts. Aren't you awesome!!! I wonder if boyscouts have a craft badge? Or maybe they learn tying knots?

KnittinMitchie
05-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Don't know but I'm ALL for converting the opposite sex to knitting. I find it funny that men where the original knitters and now its mainly a woman's craft.

McKnitty
05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I was in Girl Scouts, but we didn't do anything as fun as knitting. This will be a wonderful experience!

Crycket
05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Recruit help....

I had 4 Pathfinders I was teaching two weeks ago (approx 12-14....the Canadian equivalent to Girl Scouts) and I felt like a ping pong ball. Two of them knew how to cast on and start k rows, one girl picked up rather quickly...and the other one was lost and I needed to spend lots of time with her..

Plus I had one leader that I needed to tend to....

I would say when it comes to the stitching part....the more help you have, the better...!

And good luck....you are doing a great thing!

KnittinMitchie
05-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm going to teach their leader to knit first and let her get the basics down. May see if any of the other parents want to learn so they can help out. I'm a good knitter but not THAT good.

When I was in girl scout we learned to weave for our craft badge and I think did a small sewing project.

Knitting_Guy
05-02-2008, 11:32 PM
:thumbsup: