PDA

View Full Version : FO: My second hat

Azlynn
05-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Okay, so I'm addicted to making hats!

After I made DH's last silly hat (See "cylinder hat" below), my 4-year-old son wanted a pointy hat with stripes and something hanging off the top, so this is what he got. I found a pattern for a very looooong pointy hat with a tassle, but I modified the pattern so it wasn't so long since that one was for an adult and it wouldn't have been very realistic for my DS to wear it.

The yarn is really crappy and scratchy and stiff, but the colors are really cute. We don't have a yarn shop here and I've never even touched real yarn other than what I can find at walmart, and this was the only self-striping yarn they had. Someday I dream of knitting with really nice yarn....lol

Introducing my DS, Jack, and his new pointy, stripey hat: hee!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/terriandfamily/jackhat4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/terriandfamily/jackhat2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/terriandfamily/jackhat3.jpg

Wasn't he being a good little model? :yay:

Jan in CA
05-01-2008, 01:55 PM
That is so cute! Your son makes a good model. :yay:

Can you buy yarn online?

scout52
05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
AWW how cute!! I love it!! and your son is just adorable!!

evona
05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
That is a cute hat! I LOVE pointy hats with tassels :)

Azlynn
05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Can you buy yarn online?

I can buy yarn online.....BUT..........I'm SO overwhelmed because I don't know what to choose, have NO idea what it feels like, and it all seems sooooooooooo expensive. I'm willing to pay more for quality yarn, but I have no idea what I'm getting, and it seems like there are thousands of different yarns. I think I forgot to mention, I'm a very new knitter. Like, I went from making a scarf, right to that silly cylinder hat, to this hat here....This is only my third project total. I still don't even know if I'm knitting right, much less how to pick out yarn. lol I'm dying to teach myself how to knit some socks, but I'm so overwhelmed after googling all the sock yarns that I gave up because I have no idea what yarn to order and Walmart doesn't have anything that feels like it would work.

sue in canada
05-01-2008, 05:23 PM
That looks very cute. Your son certainly is a good little model.

dustinac
05-02-2008, 09:06 AM
aww what a cutie and the hat looks great!! :happydance:

It can be overwhelming with all the yarn out there...Knit Picks (http://www.knitpicks.com/knitting+yarn.html)is a great place to start...the yarns are priced very well and they have great sock yarns too...:happydance:

mhansen
05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Very cute and so is the hat.

setty09
05-03-2008, 09:50 PM
This hat is adorable and so is your son. Good luck with your knitting adventures!

ah
05-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Cute hat and cuter model!

MerigoldinWA
05-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, the yarn may be cheap, but the hat is first class. The self striping yarn did a good job and so did you. Nice hat, and I like the braided tassel you did.

There are some reasonably priced yarns on the net. Webs just had some Plymouth Encore (wool and acrylic blend) on sale for under $4 a skein and hordes of colors.

GirlChris
05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
That is so cute. your little boy is adorable too.

Jaxhil
05-08-2008, 06:11 PM
oh my gosh, how CUTE is HE??? I love the hat, too!

(my dh's name is Jack too! :heart: great name! lol)

campbellmom549
05-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Tee hee! How funny! I think it's too cute! Just love it.

saracidaltendencies
05-08-2008, 11:16 PM
LOL! It's adorable, I love it! And I love the look on his face in the 1st pic :teehee:

Azlynn
05-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh wow, I didn't realize this thread was still active!

Thanks for the comments! Jack is still wearing his hat almost every day, and it's got to be very uncomfortable since we're in NM and it's getting pretty hot here! He says he wants to show it off. LOL He's so sweet!

I've just finished my next silly hat and will be posting a FO as soon as I take pictures of it.

On a more exciting note, I just made my order for a book on knitting socks and some sock yarn from nitpicks! I'm so excited to receive them and try knitting socks for the first time! I'm kinda nervous because I know me, and I'll be hooked just like I'm currently hooked on hats. Oy! :)