PDA

View Full Version : excessive shipping charges

Ellieblue
05-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I just picked out 5 balls of sock yarn from one of the online vendors. The yarn came to $17.00 - good price. Then I got the shipping charges $9.45!!! No way will I pay that. How is it that KP can ship for $3.99 . That yarn could easily be shipped partial post for a whole lot less. The ironic thing is that the seller in is my state. :gah:

rosefields
05-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Must be "shipping and handling" !
There is no way the shipping should be that much:??

Beaker
05-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I hear ya. I just placed my first ever online sock yarn order from an online vendor. The reason I selected them is that their shipping from US to Canada was 5.46 or something like that. I got an email from them telling me that in the future it would be $20.00 to ship to Canada! Even on one ball of yarn!!
When it arrived I discovered that they shipped it Priority Post!! No wonder it was so much. You'd think it was made of gold them sending Priority Post.

knitgal
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I was just going to say, that sounds almost cheap compared what it is to ship to Canada. It's not even worth it a lot of the time to buy anything online for the shipping. Small things can cost upwards of $20 or more to ship here. Even in the country it can be expensive. I was shipping a blanket for our Baby Blanket KAL and it was about $15. All that was in there was the blanket (about 1/2 skein of yarn's worth of knitting), two balls of cotton yarn, the needles and some pages of instructions. $9.45 for 5 balls of yarn sounds about right....maybe it makes up for the awesome price you got them for?

Crycket
05-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Was it shipped UPS...?? I have had a big problem with UPS shipping from USA to Canada...Both times, with shipping and Brokerage fees...I have paid more in shipping then I did for the actual item....

I warn you all..DO NOT USE UPS!

Either way...IMO $10 is not too bad. Most things that I order, $10 is pretty standard...and the more you buy...the more the price evens out....so I tend to make purchases after I have found more than $20 worth of stuff I want...to make the shipping more worth my while!

I also suspect...with rising gas costs...shipping isn't going to get any cheaper!

Jan in CA
05-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I haven't had any problems with UPS. :shrug:

Some online vendors do charge a lot for shipping. It pays to compare because not all of them charge a lot and indeed a few don't charge at all. This may change with rising gas prices, but who knows.
http://theknitter.com/

suzeeq
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Unless they've had to start charging, yarnandfiber.com has no shipping fees, and their prices are reasonable.

Cynamar
05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I hate to pay too much for shipping. I will usually order something extra to make it high enough for free shipping if that's an option. I figure that I'm at least getting something I can play with for it.

cmk
05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Shipping via UPS to Canada is very expensive. DS was charged $46 at his end last fall for a parcel (duty and brokerage fee) - very expensive cookies and misc. items.

mathwizard
05-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I bought some sock yarn off of ebay from a lady in Germany. The yarn cost me $45 for 8 skeins ( different colors) and it cost $16.00 for shipping. It was priority mail. I should also state that I bid the seller down from $80.00. I have seen the same yarn for sale in catalogues and I did get a bargain. At the time I thought the shipping cost were excessive but the yarn is nice and turned out to be still cheaper when you add the cost to get it together.:cheering:

MerigoldinWA
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I've noticed this too. I like to compare and get the best price I can and you always have to consider the shipping and handling. I also noticed that some vendors charge a lot for insurance if you take that as an option. One wanted over a dollar per skein, for the insurance. That's crazy in my book. It doesn't cost anything like that. They charge per package, not per item. Needless to say I didn't get insurance.

Ellieblue
05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I believe free shipping starts after $100

tokmom
05-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Ouch. I hate excessive shipping costs. Too bad some of these online yarn stores don't subscribe to ebates or some online code site. Then you'd at least get a kickback or something.

I try to go in with a friend to get free shipping. We usually spend enough between the two of us.

snowbear
05-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Also, I have found out via the USPS, that if you ship in a box or a padded envelope it changes. I can send the same yarn in a padded envelope cheaper than a box. I do an int'l swap for a friend online, she sends me $ for items she wants here. If I send it in a padded envelope I can save up to $8.00~

Worth checking out depending on your item.

suzeeq
05-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes, a box can add 8 ounces or more to the weight. You can save substantially on postage by using a large envelope.

Crycket
05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I haven't had any problems with UPS. :shrug:

Yeah...I don't know...My last fiasco was with some nylon fishing cord. I am going to make some knitted chain mail for next years Halloween....the 6lbs of cord cost me $60. Not too bad..coming from San Fransisco to Toronto, but shipping was $30...seems reasonable for the weight...and brokerage was $40.....

So...total...$70 shipping on a $60 item.

It hasn't been the first time either....I have been slammed for a few things...and most have to do with the brokerage fees. They are astronomical!

I am tremendously happy you haven't suffered the UPS infection...but I do urge anyone to ask about shipping if it is not otherwise stated. Getting burned on the brokerage charges sux!

honeybunmom
05-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Don't be afraid to question the shipping. I ordered from a well-known online yarn store and received a ridiculous shipping quote. I emailed back and advised them, that, according to USPS.com, shipping should only be $x, including insurance, so, what else was I paying for? Yes, my shipping was adjusted. I also asked that it be put in a flat rate box and shipped that way. Why else is there a choice between USPS and UPS if I can't get the benefit of a better rate?

hocns
05-06-2008, 06:48 AM
I just mailed a small package to a town about 60 miles away and was charged $10. I nearly fainted. Our PO is going nuts. On the other hand, I just got a large order (as in 2 large boxes) from across the continent and was charged $17. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to shipping these days.

suzeeq
05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
It depends how it's sent. Express or priority mail is more expensive especially if the item is heavy, 1st class (under 13 oz) and parcel post are much cheaper.

Mirl56
05-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Generally, I have no problem buying enough stuff to reach the free shipping point, no matter how much that might be. Even if I'm only needing to buy 1 or 2 skeins, say $20 tops, I can too easily get to $50 or even more to get free shipping. Sometimes I think I'd be spending less if I'd only bought what I 'needed' that day and paid the shipping charges! But then, who doesn't want to get a big box of goodies in the mail to fondle!