PDA

View Full Version : how do i crochet a circle?

LaFlaca1226
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I just want to make a circle. Plain and simple, using sc. My question is - how many do I chain first? And then which chain do I do my first sc in?

I'm a knitter, so I'm a bit out of my element here.

suzeeq
05-02-2008, 01:35 PM
A circle, like a loop, or a solid circle?

For just a loop, chain as many as it takes for the size you want; do the first sc in the 2nd chain from the hook.

LaFlaca1226
05-02-2008, 09:58 PM
A circle, like a loop, or a solid circle?

Oh, good question. I need a solid circle. Like a round coaster. It's for the back of the breast I'm knitting. To hold the stuffing in.

So far, I tried chaining 2, then doing like 5 or 6 sc in the 2nd chain from the hook, and then I kept doing one sc in each sc, but it wasn't laying flat. So now I'm trying again. After doing 6 sc in the 2nd chain from the hook, I'm doing 2 sc in each sc. It seems to be working so far. Do you think I'm on the right track?

suzeeq
05-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Oh, for that type, I'd start out like I do the top of a hat. Chain 6, join and sc 2 in each chain, 10 sts (the 6th chain kind of gets hidden in the join). Then next round sc, 2 sc in one st, around - 15 sts. Next round sc, sc, 2 sc in 1 st, repeat - 20 sts. Keep adding one more sc before you do the 2 in 1, adding 5 sts each round (it's good to place a piece of yarn as a marker) until it's the right size.

Inis
05-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Make a slip knot. Chain 1, sc into the slip knot around until full and is a circle. Slip stitch into the first sc to close the circle and round. Chain 1, 2 sc into each sc around. Slip stitch into the first sc to close that round. You can keep growing the circle -- making appropriate increases to keep it flat.

Or, chain 3 or 4, slip stitch into the first chain to make the circle. Chain 1, sc into the circle until full. Slip stitch into the first sc. Continue as above.

Does that help?

LaFlaca1226
05-03-2008, 05:26 AM
You can keep growing the circle -- making appropriate increases to keep it flat.

Does that help?

Oh yes, that totally helps! Thank you. :muah:

One last question: you say to make appropriate increases to keep it flat. Does that mean that I should not continue making 2 sc in each stitch? Because that makes the edges all ruffly.

So if I start with 8 sc, then next round do 2 sc in each stitch, it ends up being 16 sc. The following round, how many sc should I make? Or is this something where I should just experiment because it depends on my yarn tension?

Yarnlady
05-03-2008, 07:48 AM
It's amazing what you can find (http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa091104.htm) on a search engine! :teehee:

suzeeq
05-03-2008, 09:14 AM
After the first round of 2sc in 1, do just 1 sc, then 2 in 1, 1 sc, 2 in 1. Then next round, do 2 scs, 2 in 1 around. Keep adding one more sc between the 2 sc in 1. That makes it lie flat.

schoen1605
05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
I've volunteered to do a tutorial on crocheting. Here's (http://bitsandbobstheblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-6.html) my take on crocheting a circle.
-- Carol