PDA

View Full Version : Absorba Bath Mat

figaro
05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi all, just got back from Micheal's and they had some new colors from Sugar'nCream, they are called Confectionary Colors and I so wanted to buy at least one of each! (and there were at least 10 different colors!) And they were in 1 lb skeins too! I have been wanting to make a bath mat and I knew that Mason and Dixon had one in there that called for holding 3 strands together. So I bought 3 of "Hard Candy", pink and white twists, for my girls bathroom. Then I looked at the book and it calls for double worsted and this is just worsted.:sad:

Anyone here made one with worsted and not double worsted? I have never seen double worsted in the stores so if I want to make it according to the directions, I think I may have to buy it through the internet.

auburnchick
05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Was it on the cones?

I made this mat last summer, but I ordered my supplies online -- ordering almost exactly what the pattern called for.

Spikey
05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I did it with two strands of the double worsted, which is probably pretty close to three of the single. Came out fine. Not as thick as with three double, but plenty thick and cushy enough for me.

Also, on Ravelry, people talk about doing it with four strands of single, rather than three strands of double, if you really want it nice and thick. Especially with the Sugar 'n Cream, which IMHO, isn't as cushy as Peaches and Creme.

figaro
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Nope, not on cones. Never seen yarn on cones yet. Just great big 12 ounce skeins of cotton yarn, 340 grams each, 603 yards each.

Off to check out Ravelry (why I didn't in the first place?)

Jan in CA
05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I think it'll be fine with the S&C worsted! I've wanted to make that so I can't wait to hear how it goes and see it! :thumbsup:

suzeeq
05-02-2008, 01:33 PM
The double worsted is only available online I think.

figaro
05-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, I started it and it looks great! However I am having a problem, I finish the center square and am now on the first strip surround it. I cannot pick up the stitches off of the bound off edge, they are too tight. I don't think I bound off too tight though, I just think that they are tight because that is the way they are supposed to be. Am I missing something? Should I go down a size or two in needle to do this part? Or should I have been picking up the stitches on the other edge? (I thought of that before but wouldn't that just delay the inevitable?)

Thank you to whomever replies and I am taking picture!

suzeeq
05-03-2008, 08:56 AM
You could try using a larger needle to BO with, or only picking up from one of the BO strands instead of both. Is there a reason you have to pick up the BO, can you leave them live and knit across them instead?

Spikey
05-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I think leaving them live, as suzeeq suggested, it the best way to go. I'll definitely do that on the next one, as picking up on the BO edges was time consuming.
And you have to be really careful that you pick up the right amount of stitches or it gets a little wonky. Leaving them live eliminates that problem.

Gertie
05-03-2008, 10:11 AM
If leaving them live doesn't give the desired effect - I've used a crochet hook to pu stitches. As previously mentioned, maybe using only one strand.

I look forward to seeing the final result.

figaro
05-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Ok, I am confused, I am not sure what you mean by "leaving them live"...I really do not not know what you mean by it.

Jan in CA
05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Since Absorba is done in the log cabin pattern here is the info about it from Mason Dixon. Maybe that will help.

http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/2004_02.html#000290

Since you're on Ravelry you should check out what others said about the project, too. They may have some hints about the tightness due to cotton yarn and so many strands.

suzeeq
05-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Instead of binding off the stitches, leave them `living' on needles or a stitch holder. There's one variation that does this, make the first sqaure, don't BO, pick up sts for the next section, don't BO, pick on the bottom of the 1st one, don't BO, pick up for the next bit and don't BO that one either. Then you pick up down the side of the last bit and you're back at where the first BO sts would have been, only you don't need to pick them up.

Jan in CA
05-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Never thought of doing it that way, Sue! Very clever! :thumbsup:

Spikey
05-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Instead of binding off the stitches, leave them `living' on needles or a stitch holder.
Leaving them on waste yarn will work too, especially as it gets larger.

suzeeq
05-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, waste yarn will work well; by the time you get back to those first sts, you'll have about 4 edges.

Spikey
05-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but folks had asked for pics and I thought I'd show how two strands of double worsted looks.

btw-Figaro, I found it very helpful to mark the right side. I put a safety pin on the right side, which helped me stay oriented when starting a new strip and for counting ridges on the correct side.