PDA

View Full Version : This Weather SUCKS!!!

kellyh57
05-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Literally!

Last night, we were watching TV and they broke into Survivor to tell us there was tornado warnings. We got a little rain/wind at that time. Nothing big. We went to bed, thinking it was all over with. Nope. Not even close. We were awoken at about 2 a.m. with POURING rain and wind blowing like crazy. My husband got me up right as the electricity went out. He said we needed to go downstairs. I didn't hear the sirens, so I was a little confused. He said he saw stuff swirling in the backyard. We got all the kids and went to the closet in the basement. Sat there for about an hour watching the wind blow and trying to find some weather updates. (Radio sucks in our basement but he had his cell phone with internet access...tiny little radar screen!)

Finally, it looked good enough to get out. Went upstairs and got the whole family back to sleep in the living room. (Wanted to keep the kids close and didn't have power yet so we had candles there.) Got up this morning- STILL no power! We lost 1 shingle off our roof. I think we fared the BEST in our neighborhood. Basketball hoop down the street bent in half, roofs have holes in them, fences destroyed, swing sets all over the place, windows are out. In the next neighborhood over, there are houses that MOVED, walls taken out, trucks blown across the road. YUCK. We got woken up at about 6 to helicopters circling the neighborhood. They finally left, but just came back for their 12:00 news. What a scary night! And, so sad. I can't stop crying when I look across the neighborhood and see what happened to them. I am SO thankful we are okay and have no damage! The NWS has come out to survey the damage. They were saying hurricane force winds (80+ mph) but now they are speculating that it was a tornado. They were suggesting straight line winds, but with the swirling, it had to be something else.

Here's a link to a news story. The neighborhood (up north/110th street) is about 4 blocks from my house. We can see those houses from our house.

Oh yeah, we got electricity back at about 12:30. Luckily, we didn't lose too much from the freezer!

http://www.kctv5.com/weather/16120668/detail.html#

Kelly

Cynamar
05-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow. That does suck. I love storms but when they're over I want everything to be normal.

cdjack
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I saw that awful storm this morning on the news. I was hoping that everyone on here from Missouri made it through alright.
One touched down here in Texas in Canton at the Trade Days grounds.

Cynamar
05-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Look at the first entry of my regular blog to see I fared! That's my mom's extra car that I've been driving since mine died.

bethany
05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
yikes. Glad everyone is ok. :hug:

auburnchick
05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Wow! I'm glad your family is okay.

kellyh57
05-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, it's official- it was a tornado (or a few). The way there was debris flown in all directions, there was no possibility it was anything else. Funny that the tornado sirens went off twice when there wasn't anything, but not when there was!

Kelly

Constance123
05-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi,
We were rudely awakened at 1:30 a.m. Lot of strong winds and rain blowing sideways. The tornados didn't come near us, but just over the river in Gladstone they were really knocked about. I hope that you and yours are just fine. We are only picking up sticks and tree branches up here in Lansing. Another one missed us.
Love
Constance

suzeeq
05-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, tornadoes are bad, but at least it's the right time of year for them. We got up to 6" of snow this morning! It looks like the weather is going to finally get seasonal (the local buffalo have barely begun to shed; they usually shed in Feb/Mar) and be in the 60s for a while.

HollyP
05-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm so glad you all are ok!! Tornadoes scare the crap out of me! I really don't think I could ever live someplace with frequent tornadoes.

Debkcs
05-03-2008, 04:20 AM
A lot of people lost their homes, some their lives. It's amazing how they can hit two or three homes, and leave the next one standing, then destroy the one after.

Hope you all fare better today.