PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Method Question

CognizantAmiga
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
O.K. Maybe a silly question, but --- how many "methods" of knitting are there? (Not looking for an exact number!:) ) But, I know of english, continental, portuguese, irish cottage, and combination. What others are out there. I have tried to search for some, but don't know anything specific enough to search for. I find it facinating to see how differently the same results can be achieved.

WildMountainHoney
05-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Hmmm - what I know of are:

Western - in which I include:
English (yarn held in right hand)
Irish Cottage imo is like a further adatptation of English so I put it here
Continental (yarn held in left hand)
Norwegian purl is generally done w/yarn in left hand, so I put it here

Eastern - where you enter through the back of the stitch and wrap the yarn in the opposite direction of Western for EVERY stitch (clockwise)

Combination - a melding of Western and Eastern, where you knit through the back, but wrap in the "Western" (counter-clockwise direction) for knits, and then purl through the front, but wrap clockwise.

Portuguese - Yarn is held either behind neck or near left shoulder, stitches are formed by using thumbs, knit stitch procedure resembles Norwegian purling, and purling resembles continental knitting.

AND - there is also left-handed knitting, which I would imagine can include style elements of all of the above.

and I'm sure a bunch others I have yet to read/hear about!!
:)

WildMountainHoney
05-03-2008, 09:17 PM
:teehee: how could I forget my kid's favorite.......

FINGER knitting! :thumbsup:

Crycket
05-03-2008, 10:26 PM
There is that other knitting...what is it called...the one on the posts....I always thought it was called Corking....but I could be wrong...

And I guess Machine knitting is another....

knitasha
05-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Corking is one word for "knitting" done on a round or rectangular loom with pegs that hold the stitches. No knitting needles involved. It's also called spool knitting, loom knitting and rake knitting.

Depending on the size of the loom, you can make anything from a 4-stitch i-cord to an adult-size sweater.

Debkcs
05-04-2008, 02:09 AM
There's Armenian knitting, which if I remember correctly is very dense,then the design is over sewn in.

Knitting_Guy
05-04-2008, 07:30 PM
There are actually only two. My way and the right way. :mrgreen:

CognizantAmiga
05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone. I am amazed still at al of this. I am going to look into some of those.

I had forgotten about finger knitting. And I had never run across the Armenian style. Cool info guys!

Mason -- care to give a tutorial on "your way?" we might have to start a whole new category! Something like trans continental or trucker knitting. It would become the whole new way of doing it for everyone!