PDA

View Full Version : Frog or Finish

sarahkp
05-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I started an all 1 color shawl with a silk yarn from my LYS last spring hoping it would be a cover up for the summer. It's all garter stitch, all one color...very boring and messy. It was my first attempt at knitting and since I started it I've learned a lot (done a few other projects) and my standards for myself are much higher now. I have one more ball of yarn to go until it's done but am wondering...will I be happy with the much less than perfect finished project? Would it be better to frog it all and get some other colors or a more interesting pattern that I know how to do now?

But on the other hand...there are a lot of stitches and time that would be thrown to the wind.

What do you think?

bethany
05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
knit what you love :)

suzeeq
05-04-2008, 09:40 AM
If you're not satisfied with it, redo it. I've finished sweaters, worn them a couple times and wasn't happy with how they turned out, then ripped and reknit them.

Mirl56
05-04-2008, 10:04 AM
If you're going to hate it every time you wear it or not wear it at all because you hate it - then you should frog. Perhaps a different stitch pattern would be better now that it's not so daunting to you.

Better to re-do and love it.

mathwizard
05-04-2008, 10:19 AM
You could finish it and give it away. I am a picky knitter and have frogged tooooo many times to count because I didn't like the way something looked. I am crocheting a vest for one son and have frogged it back to the first chain stitch because I didn't like it. I am working on a black kimono for another son (knitted) and am quite happy with the way it is turning out.

Plantgoddess+
05-04-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm with suzeeq, I've knit sweaters that didn't turn out as planned and after wearing a couple of times and letting them sit in the cupboard for a few years being disgusted every time I looked at them, I frogged and the yarn will be used to try again.
Don't think of it as time wasted, but as a learning curve. The yarn can be used again on something that you will be proud to show off.

suecq
05-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Look at it this way, if you frog it you get to work with the yarn twice without paying the purchase price twice. If you don't like it now, you won't like it when it is finished. It sounds like a nice quality yarn that deserves a nice piece (as does all yarn.)

Jan in CA
05-04-2008, 01:03 PM
If you're not happy with it frog it and do something you will enjoy doing and wearing in the end. :thumbsup:

cam90066
05-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I vote for frogging. I've frogged many a project...even sweaters after I've worn them. Several incarnations later I find a better match of pattern, yarn, fit, stitch, etc.

cam

annomalley
05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
If you're not happy with it now, you're never going to finish it. I say frog it and knit something you'd be happier with.

sarahkp
05-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks all for voting and sharing your thoughts! :) Now I'm getting excited to frog and to find a new better pattern to use for this yarn. I've wanted to frog it for awhile I just thought I was nuts to undo so much work. Sounds like I'm in good company though.
Glad to have some online knitting friends for advice like this!! :grphug:

Crycket
05-04-2008, 06:48 PM
I am so into frogging anything that doesn't live up to my standards...It may be a lotta work, but you will feel much better about it when it is done...

I am currently redoing a sweater I made back in 2001 at risk of not having enough to revamp it....I say...do what will make you happy...and that sounds like frogging

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-04-2008, 10:12 PM
SILK YARN!?!?! Frog and knit something you will LOVE with it!!!!

sarahkp
05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi all...well, it is frogged! I spent the last couple of nights ripping the shawl out and now I have 4 or 5 nice hanks to start over with. I want to do a few swatches with different needles to decide what to do. Now I'm having a terrible time trying to pick a pattern for this yarn. I cannot find a single FO on the web made out of Plymouth Shire Silk. (But then I'm not so good at surfing).

The.Knitter
05-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Frog and move on!!

Simply_Renee
05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Are you on ravelry? I love it- you could look up the yarn & get some ideas with projects others have made- with pics!

PM me if you want me to look for you- I will!