PDA

View Full Version : Weight Problem

KniftyKnitterGal
05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I used to be a really happy size 5, until I made a huge mistake and went on the Depo shot. I gained like 20 pounds, and since then I can't seem to get it off!!! I am like a size 12 and feeing more self-conscious than ever before. I can't even wear a pair of jeans without crying because I am out of proportion. :waah:
So all I'm asking is is there anyone out there that has a diet plan that works? Or something that they have done that helped them? I am one of those people is athletic and will run 10 miles if I have to. Any ideas?
:sad:

kyrolakatz
05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Knifty,

From a gal that has a much bigger weight problem (110 lbs to lose), I can certainly relate. I so wish I only had 20 to lose!

There are a million diet plans out there. My question to you is what are you looking for? Low carb is a good option for fast weight loss...but if you aren't willing to give up carbs then it would need to be something else. With 20 lbs to lose you really could use any plan.

traceleighj
05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi there! I have lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers and it has been relatively easy! I just followed the plan- it's mostly portion control. If I exercised, I'm sure my weight loss would go up, but I was just going to start one thing at a time......now it's about time to add in a workout!

Good luck!

Jan in CA
05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Several years ago I lost a total of about 40 lbs. The first 15 lbs I lost by cutting out processed food and then I joined Weight Watcher's Online and lost another 25 lbs.

I've gained a few back in the last 3 years so I am now using SparkPeople to lose it again. I joined on January 1 and have lost about 12 lbs or so now. Have about 6 or so more to lose.

SparkPeople is free and it's a great tool to see how much you are actually eating and where the problems are. I've learned a lot!
http://www.sparkpeople.com/

JessicaR
05-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I've been on the drug Phentermine since September and still doing well with it. However, I'm not sure it'd be recommended for having to lose only 20 pounds :think:

Ivy19
05-05-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm sure we can all identify! One of the problems is that as we get older, sigh, it's harder to lose weight. I agree that Weight Watchers is the way to go, because you get to eat food you like - it's up to you how you "spend" your points. However, I also agree that the low carb-high protein diet is great for a fast 10 lbs or so loss. The problem is that it's so easy to gain it right back once you start introducing carbs back into your diet.

Good luck - we're all rooting for you.

knitgal
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Two questions- How old are you? Also, how tall are you?

vaknitter
05-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Depo is really tough b/c it makes you sooo hungry and store fat. I recently discussed this with my GYN and decided it is a not an option for me. She said she has never seen anyone gain less than 30lbs on it. Are you still on the shots? If not, then give your body time to readjust and then I would suggest you start by keeping a really strict record of exactly what you are eating and how much you are exercising. I've heard great things about weight watchers although I've never done it and personally found sparkpeople to be too time consuming when I tried it - trying to find everything I ate or drank in their bank was tough. B/c your weight gain is the direct result of a drug you are on, I would be very careful using other drugs to lose weight.
If you are still on Depo maybe talk to your GYN and see if there is another acceptable form of birth control that wouldn't hvae the side effects. Just out of curiosity, did they discuss the weight gain with you before starting the shots?

alleusion
05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
I have the last 5 pounds of baby weight still to lose, and dread getting on birth control because I know that 5 pounds will turn into 10 or 15. Weight watchers is really good. I've not tried it personally, but I have many friends that swear by it.

If you're athletic and active, I'd suggest changing your routine, as your body may be in a plateau phase. Either step up or scale back whatever exercise routine you're doing to shock your system out of the rut it's gotten into.

Mulderknitter
05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Depo is really tough b/c it makes you sooo hungry and store fat. I recently discussed this with my GYN and decided it is a not an option for me. She said she has never seen anyone gain less than 30lbs on it. Are you still on the shots? If not, then give your body time to readjust and then I would suggest you start by keeping a really strict record of exactly what you are eating and how much you are exercising. I've heard great things about weight watchers although I've never done it and personally found sparkpeople to be too time consuming when I tried it - trying to find everything I ate or drank in their bank was tough. B/c your weight gain is the direct result of a drug you are on, I would be very careful using other drugs to lose weight.
If you are still on Depo maybe talk to your GYN and see if there is another acceptable form of birth control that wouldn't hvae the side effects. Just out of curiosity, did they discuss the weight gain with you before starting the shots?
Actually, I am on depo and have been since 1995, so 13 years. The only side effects I had were leg cramping and stopping of my period. They told me I could have weight gain, but haven't had that. I am not sure if I am the oddball, but I didn't have that side effect.
As for the extra 20 pounds, which is actually about what I have to lose, I started with small things. I cut out soda from my diet, which dropped about 5 pounds from my waist in 2 months. snacking at work I also cut out. I would get hungry because I didn't eat anything for breakfast so I would munch on junk. Now I have a yogurt or something in the am to keep me until lunch.
On an aside, make sure you are getting more than the daily recommended value of calcium if you are on Depo. There is something in the depo that inhibits the absorption of calcium so you need more than normal.

Knit4Fun
05-05-2008, 06:57 PM
From a Doctor's perspective...

I think that the fad diets out there that recommend you cutting out all carbs or all fats are dangerous. The high protein diets tax your kidneys too much, in particular. We have pointy and flat teeth because we are meant to eat BOTH carbs (how else would we have energy?) and protein (how else would we build and maintain muscle?) and fat (our brain is made up of 70% fat and without eating good fat, we feel foggy and not right). That being said, moderation is the way to go.

Easiest to remember - carbs give energy. Simple carbs turn to fat easily unless we move a lot. Complex carbs take time to break down (like in fruits and veggies) and are better for us. Trans fat aka saturated fat is the fat that hardens our arteries so keep this intake low and focus on the other fats (polyunsaturated, monounsaturated) because those give you the good fat needed for clear thinking and overall body health - think fish, nuts, etc. Protein is good for keeping you fuller longer - just don't overdo it (tip: avoid the athletic protein shakes that have like 45 g of protein in a serving UNLESS you are a power lifter or elite athlete that burns off a ton in each workout...the average steak (trim that trans fat off)has like 15 g of protein and that is PLENTY of protein for one meal - I've seen more people get really sick from these high protein shakes because they aren't meant for Joe or Jane Average). The more sugar and artificial things you avoid, the better. If you have to have sweet stuff, I recommend real sugar because ALL the fake stuff is bad for you, Splenda included (it's chlorinated sugar...aren't we always trying to get chlorine out of our bodies...why eat it in sugar?). That's really the basics of nutrition right there.

If you are looking for an organized diet, Weight Watchers is about the safest one out there - the Points plan isn't too hard and I've heard the Flex plan is pretty easy to follow as well. And the accountability of going to a group is good too if you need help with discipline or don't want to 'go it alone.' Some of the others are good too...just watch out because many make you buy their food which can get expensive.

As far as exercise, I've found a book that I think is the most amazing exercise book out there because it is low impact (and therefore safe for most people) and doesn't take a lot of time or equipment to do...AND you take 1-2 days a week off!!! That's my kind of plan.

The book is called '5 Factor Fitness' by Harley Pasternak (he also has a new diet book out called '5 Factor Diet' too). The workouts are short and focus on the major muscle groups of the body PLUS all the sections of the abs we need to work on. All you need is a set of very light hand weights (or in a pinch, you can probably use soup cans to start) and a chair or bench. His diet plan is simple too...eat 5 smaller meals a day (so your blood sugar doesn't end up on a rollercoaster and you don't overeat) and make sure your meals have certain nutrients. I've been using this book for a while for my workouts, and it is fantastic. Everyone I've recommended it to loves it as well.

The other things to be aware of are to be sure you are eating enough...if we starve ourselves, our body goes into starvation mode and we actually hold onto every calorie because the body doesn't know when we will eat again. Also, be sure to drink enough pure water so you are well hydrated - I recommend drinking enough so that you are going to the bathroom about every hour and a half to two hours.

Good luck!

bailsmom
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
First of all :grphug: . I know this is a difficult thing to deal with and good for you for acknowledging it and trying to make a change for the HEALTHY you.

Second of all, I put the same amount of weight on that you did. I was 115 lbs when I got married 10 years ago. My highest weight was 160 lbs. It was horrible. I have a fast metabolism, which is great for losing weight, but I'm always hungry so I eat practically every hour. And yes, I do try to eat healthy.

But this past January I decided to start exercising and watching my portions and caloric intake and I'm down to 136 lbs. :woot: It has been quite difficult. I started with different exercises, yoga, calanetics, you name it. It helped but not enough. Then I heard about Leslie Sansone's walking dvd's and gave her a shot. It works for me. I started at the basic level and worked my way up to jogging in my living room, in place. I do 3-5 miles a day. Depending on my headache situation. Some days I can only get a mile in, but on those days I just watch my calories a bit more and it's been working so far. I would like to get down to 130 lbs so I'm not too far away.

You can do this. It just takes a little push and you can do it. Each mile only takes 10 minutes and I break it up during the day so it's not all at once. Don't try to be too aggressive at first or you may falter if it gets too difficult. Start out slow and keep adding the miles as the weeks go by. Before you know it, you'll have dropped the weight. I'm in a size 8 jeans now. I was in a size 12 back in January. Her dvd's aren't expensive at all. If you are able to watch your portions then I think you can do it without joining WW or Nutrisystem.

Good luck!! :hug:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
05-06-2008, 01:09 AM
the problem is the depo shot. as long as you're on hormonal birth control the weight will come on and be harder to lose. Have you considered checking into other forms of birth control?

cftwo
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Eating smaller portions (or not going back for seconds) was what worked for me. Then I got stressed again and went back for seconds. I lost 30 and have gained back 10. But for me, it was 90% about how much I ate.

annomalley
05-07-2008, 10:29 AM
I took a desk job a couple years ago and I gained 30 pounds, so I can sympathize. Since last summer, I've lost 20 of it and I've got ten more to go. My DH joined Weight Watchers in January and he's lost 20 pounds so far. He's trying to lose 60 more.

What we did was cut out the processed food and the convenience food and watch portion sizes. We also try to eat a more balanced diet. We also don't go out to eat as much, and when we do, we try to eat at places that have healthier options (which isn't easy, since a lot of places are not very forthcoming on their nutritional value). We also pack lunches to take to work and we pack healthy snacks, so we're not hitting the vending machine. I've also made it a point to not eat lunch at my desk. We also cut out the soda, too. Another thing we did was join a gym. Living in Wisconsin, it's hard to get outside to walk and move around in the winter when the weather is bad, and that was one of the main reasons why we did it. We found one that doesn't have a contract, is reasonably priced, and didn't try to pressure us into joining on the spot when we went and looked at the place.