PDA

View Full Version : Crochet rib... how to make?

DroolOverWool
05-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Another question from me. ;)

I keep seeing scarves for sale in the shops over here that look a lot like p1 k1 rib, but I'm pretty sure they're crochet (they seem to keep their shape better than a knitted rib). I'd love to make a scarf like that but can't seem to find a pattern - and I've experimented, but can't figure out how to make it look like rib. Can anyone help? I hope my description makes sense...

Thanks!

mathwizard
05-06-2008, 07:24 AM
To make crochet rib is interesting. Chain how ever many stitches you need. Make an entire row of double crochet and chain two and turn. The next row is the rib. You do a dcfp around the first stitch in the row below. Then you do a dcbp around the next stitch in the row below. You alternate between double crochet front post stitch and dc back post stitch to give it the rib effect. The foundation row of dc is the basis for making the post stitches. You make the post stitches around the row below.
I am doing a vest for my son and learned about ribbing from the pattern. Then I went into books for more info and found that I really like the rib effect you get from the post stitches (some books call them raised stitches).

xxkarenlxx
05-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Mathwizards method is used quite often but I want to let you know that while it looks good, it isn't stretchy like a knitted ribbing is.

There is also a method where you work your pattern up to the ribbing and then change to an afghan hook and do a Tunesian crochet stitch (an afghan stitch variation) and that is supposed to be more springy. I haven't tried this method yet as I just read about it.

MaleKnitter
05-26-2008, 01:15 AM
you could use an afghan hook, but you would have to know how to make the tunesian rib which is more complicated than plain afghan stitch,

if you just want a scarf with the rib stitch that you have seen in stores then just use the FP and BP DC, I just made a hat with that stitch and I really love it (although the stitch takes much longer than plain double crochet).

Also, some people add ribbing by making a strip in single crochet tbl (through the back loop), which looks a lot like ribbing, and sew it on to cuffs, collars, and hems.

I have even seen some people crochet a garment and then pick up stitches to knit ribbing rather than try to substitute with crochet (it seems like most crochet stitches try to mimic knitting, and if you can already knit in the first place, why mimic? if you want truly stretchy ribbing, then knitting is the way to go)