PDA

View Full Version : places/times when it's best not to knit?

gotta knit
05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I have to remake 2 sleeves, since the 2nd one was coming out quite a bit tighter (& smaller). Just realized that most of it was worked on while waiting at a dental clinic, and this week since my dental surgery. (Surgeon actually commented that I was so relaxed I could knit before going in, I told him I was trying to stay calm. Obviously I was wrong.)

What places have you discovered not conducive to good knitting?

HamaLee
05-07-2008, 09:49 AM
I was once watching a play in a very intimate theater setting and two girls in the very front row were knitting with metal needles through the whole first act. They were so close to the performance area that the stage lights occasionally hit them. The entire audience could hear them knitting. As an obsessive knitter myself--I found that inappropriate.

The stage manager had to ask them to stop at intermission b/c the actors could see and hear them and it was distracting. That's pretty clueless and disrespectful, imo.

But as a general rule--I think you can knit pretty much anywhere so long as you are aware of your surroundings and your company. If it becomes clear that you are bothering others, put the needles away. I have, for example, knitted away in a dentist office waiting room too. And there were TWO other women doing the same! :mrgreen:

gotta knit
05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I usually knit in waiting rooms, guess it depends how apprehensive one feels about what's about to happen?!

How rude of those girls during that play. :doh:

HamaLee
05-07-2008, 10:22 AM
How rude of those girls during that play. :doh:

I know, it kind of blew my mind. I give them the benefit of the doubt though--I truly think they were just completely clueless instead of being intentionally rude. Some people forget there's an entire world around. :shrug:

Crycket
05-07-2008, 10:29 AM
I was once watching a play in a very intimate theater setting and two girls in the very front row were knitting with metal needles through the whole first act. They were so close to the performance area that the stage lights occasionally hit them. The entire audience could hear them knitting. As an obsessive knitter myself--I found that inappropriate.

The stage manager had to ask them to stop at intermission b/c the actors could see and hear them and it was distracting. That's pretty clueless and disrespectful, imo.

Ok...having worked in a theatre for 10 years...I must say...that is horrible...especially in the front row.

I mean...if it were plastic needles...at the back...maybe but really...why are you even at the theatre if you are not going to take it in. I can knit in front of the TV, but theatre is an all senses experience...and selling tix for a living...they aren't cheap....

That really disgusts me!

Crycket
05-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I haven't done this myself...but I would think knitting at a funeral might not be appropriate.....

Jan in CA
05-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Kind of two questions going in this thread....one is where is inappropriate and the other is where it might be difficult to knit effectively. I think you're really asking about the second one, right?

I think each situation is different for each person -

I personally don't knit in restaurants because if I'm going out to a meal with someone I feel like I should completely there not looking down or only half paying attention. I do knit during waiting times at doctors offices because no one needs my attention. So basically..if something requires your attention such as a play then it's not appropriate.

As to the other part of the question.. I can't really knit a car (motion sickness aside) because I find it too distracting with all the visuals flying by the window. Some types of projects are hard to knit when you're stressed out, too. I would stick to simple projects for stressful situations. :thumbsup:

Simply_Renee
05-07-2008, 11:02 AM
You may all knit at my funeral- I won't mind I promise!

I would not knit at a play, concert, during church, at lunch with a friend... I would knit on the bus/train/plane, while waiting in a waiting room or for someone somewhere- or just about anywhere else. (anyone else having a Green Eggs & Ham moment right now?) I went to a b-day party for my niece @ their house this weekend and brought my knitting to show (they were underwhelmed- why do I do this to people? :???: ) but didn't knit while there.

I recently met a friend for coffee at a coffee shop and knitted for a little bit, but when we really started talking I put it away. I didn't want her to think I wasn't listening, although she didn't mind. Plus I kept purling when I should be knitting and vice versa.

It came up on another thread on Ravelry that many people focus better when they're doing something with their hands. (while justifying them knitting in church-I am a UU therefore liberal but wow- no way would I do that during a sermon!) I can understand that- but would never want someone to think I wasn't paying attention or had to have any more "entertainment" than their company.

As for the tight sleeve issue- I do need to be able to somewhat concentrate if there is any sort of pattern going on or I make mistakes. I am pretty good at knitting without looking if it's stockinette or garter all the way across. I don't notice a big variety in my tension- but then again I haven't knit sleeves yet! :aww:

SandraS
05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm a very private type person, so I don't knit in public at all. I don't welcome the inevitable questions. That's just me. I knit to escape, not interact.
As for when I've learned NOT to knit, or at least make it simple..........during Dancing With the Stars! I can't keep up with a pattern for anything. I work on a basic sock when I watch that!

mwhite
05-07-2008, 11:44 AM
You may all knit at my funeral- I won't mind I promise!

LOL! I agree with this one! Let your heirs know beforehand though, so they won't throw us out! :teehee:

gotta knit
05-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Kind of two questions going in this thread....one is where is inappropriate and the other is where it might be difficult to knit effectively. I think you're really asking about the second one, right?

Yes Jan, thanks for clarifying. I think I was referring more to places that interfere with our effective knitting. Maybe my bottle of painkillers should have included a 'no posting' warning?:blush:

I would like to think most of us have enough decency to not knit in situations demanding respect for others, and where it might look like we're not giving them our full attention.
Permission to knit at your funeral sounds like something you need to broadcast Renee. I would generally think of a funeral home as somewhere inappropriate, along with church and formal public performances. Waiting for appts, at the airport, etc. is usually fine, a productive alternative to reading a magazine (or so I thought :frog: ). I often knit while a passenger in a moving vehicle, but knitting when visiting with a friend really depends on the situation and the person.

SandraS
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Yes, now that you mention reading, I would think the general rule of etiquette would be if it's ok to read, it's ok to knit.

SteveDallas
05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
At a job interview (well maybe that's OK if it's for a job at a LYS)
While piloting an airliner in for a landing
During intimate moments with your spouse
During the chainsaw-juggling routine you do for the circus
While shaving

mathwizard
05-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I tend to knit when waiting for appointments and children you are waiting for at the doctors or dentist. I do it in front of the tv and a bus trip I took with my husband and he slept. All my knitting friends will be welcome to knit at my funeral if they want to. I think a knitting wake is as good as an Irish wake!
I don't knit at the theater, movies or out to dinner as I prefer the conversation to clicking needles. Flying an airplane on auto pilot might be challenging. Sky diving might pose a problem but different,lol.
Common sense dictates you think about where you are and should you be doing it!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
05-07-2008, 04:27 PM
i knit all over the place.... in front of hte tv and computer, waiting for my kids to get out of school, sometimes if i've had to stop for a train crossing, when we go out to eat at a fast food place and dh and I are letting the kids play on the play place stuff.... at my IL's (esp when my MIL is going on about some rash to do with her skin condition!)

Rosemary
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I would strongly recommend not knitting during a trial - especially in France. The wrong person might be beheaded.

Well, maybe you could on Bastille Day. :mrgreen:

bambi
05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
I knit in waiting rooms. I might knit in a coffee shop while alone but THAT never happens!

I wouldn't knit in place where your attention should be elsewhere like a lecture. I toyed with taking my knitting to a continung ed seminar but thought I would be distracted and distracting.

Bambi

geekgirl
05-08-2008, 01:07 AM
You would think the waiting room for jury duty would be a good place to knit.. but it isn't! In my county they don't allow sharp objects (like knitting needles) through security. :wink:

knovice
05-08-2008, 02:47 AM
Knitting while seeing a professional play? In the front row? With metal needes... I agree with you all, no way.

But I have to say that there is one kind of live performance where I always bring my knitting and it saves my sanity. I'm talking about children's recitals. You know, the kind where 200 children are in the production, and your child or children are on stage for about a total of five minutes, and you have to sit through the rest of the two-hour show smiling bravely while everyone else's offspring mangle music charmingly? And you have to do that about eight to ten times a year? And you have to clap with enthusiasm and tell your kids how much you enjoyed being there? Knitting saves me.

Knit4Fun
05-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm thinking that knitting while on the toilet is a no-no...especially if it's gift knitting...

Knitting while driving (I've seen it done - along with eating a full bowl of cereal; shaving with a real razor and cream; doing the entire multi-step makeup routine; eating fried chicken; etc.)

That's all I can think of for now...

McKnitty
05-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Once when the power was out I tried to knit by candlelight and by flashlight. Neither worked for me. Good lighting is important to me or my eyes tire quickly.

jess_hawk
05-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't have to watch my knitting unless I'm doing a complicated pattern, so I'll knit while watching a movie (with my family or friends at home, not at the theatre) with the lights out. It drives my mom crazy.
Inappropriate places include high school class, I was disappointed to learn. Actually my teacher didn't say anything to me, but my parentals saw my needles in my bag and flipped. I didn't point out to them that I was at the time in dire need of something to keep my hands occupied at all times. This is very unusual for me, and most people would be surprised to learn that I had this phase because people who just fidget drive me mad (though if they're actually doing something it doesn't bother me).

Bad places/times to knit:
While drunk. I haven't tried it as I've never been drunk and I avoid anything that could possibly be messed up if I've even had one beverage.
While reading a novel. I simply haven't figured out the logistics yet, and it results in many dropped stitches.
While eating dinner (at home, alone, whatever). Sorry but there's just too much risk of getting something on my lovely yarn.

Puddinpop
05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I wanted to take my knitting to a baseball game in a suite with a few fellow employees and my husband. I decided against it and then when I got there, someone commented that they were surprised that I didn't bring my knitting. I am not into baseball, so I thought it would be great for me, but rather rude to others.

snowbear
05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm not having a funeral.. I'm having a celebration of life, and I want my friends to do what they would like.. be it knititng, crocheting or cross stitch.

I've informed my family of this, and know they will follow through with my wishes.

I did find knitting while waiting in the room at the Dr.s for my annual visit did get the Dr. lol. He gently held his hand out.. I pushed the stitches to the middle, and handed it to him.. He placed it on top of my bag and lol. He stated he has had patients knit while in labor, and other things, but that this was a first.
My friends know that knittting relaxes me. They are all use to it, and know that I'm listening to them. They quit testing me, and accept that I am listening. I don't do complex patterns, but simple things.
My boss knits, and allows us to knit during staff meetings. This does make for some nice meetings. But I know that is in the minority.

Cherryblossom
05-11-2008, 06:13 AM
My boss knits, and allows us to knit during staff meetings. This does make for some nice meetings. But I know that is in the minority.

I want to work where you work! :teehee:

I haven't been knitting long so I can't knit and do something!

Lisa R.
05-11-2008, 08:29 AM
I have two college music majors. I always take my knitting to performances, but usually I knit while waiting for it to start, rather than during the performance. I can think of 2-3 performances that I've knit through...and in all cases, the lights were low, the auditorium was not crowded, and I was in back sort of "alone."

I figure it's distracting to others, even if it's quiet. Just the constant movement would likely be distracting, I think.

I also knit in restaurants while waiting for my food, or after I'm finished while waiting for dh to finish or waiting for the check. But only when I go out with dh...he understands, it doesn't bother him, and he knows I'm listening!

rachejm
05-11-2008, 08:35 AM
knitting while reading through my notes for my exams has proven difficult - knitting usually wins out, hence i have had to stop knitting until after my exams, so now I'm distracting myself with the forum. I think I need to be locked in a room with just my notes, text books and pencil case - then i'd manage it!

I generally knit while waiting for a train on nice sunny days when u can sit out on the platform - I go up the far end on my own and sit on the bench, that way no-one bothers me. I can't knit while moving - motion sickness. I took my knitting to the drs once but didn't do any because I was scared of missing when they called my name - stupid thing was I knew I was there to have my blood pressure checked and I knew that going to the drs always makes it go up. So I will do some simple knitting next time and save myself sitting for 10 minutes waiting until I've calmed down enough that they can use the reading!

blueygh2
05-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I think I need to be locked in a room with just my notes, text books and pencil case - then i'd manage it!

That wouldn't help me .... I surely would find something else to do.

Knitting on the train and when waiting for classes to begin...
Sometimes in the car as well, (when I'm NOT driving).

People sometimes think I'm not listening, but I am, especially when doing grannies or other simple things, but I just keep an eye on it to be sure not to miss stitches or split the yarn...
Safe is safe.

When doing something with pattern I have to concentrate, so then sometimes I'm not listening, but generally I don't do complicated things when my mind should be on something else, like conversation.

I haven't tried knitting while walking but I guess it wouldn't be a great success,... even less so with running...

Crycket
05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm a very private type person, so I don't knit in public at all. I don't welcome the inevitable questions. That's just me. I knit to escape, not interact.

I love the inevitable questions! I knit a lot at work, and a lot of what I end up knitting is socks, so there are the 5 needles. My favorite comment to date was when I was knitting these socks (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Crycket/bird-of-a-feather) and someone said something like "wow, I didn't think you could make socks like that, I always just buy mine at the store" I felt very accomplished!

I also tend to get a lot of comments about how hard it must be to knit on so many needles. I always find it funny!

Crycket
05-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I would find it extremely hard to knit at a camp. I am a Girl Guide leader, and I think, as much as I would love to sit and knit, I probably wouldn't get too much done.

However, I think that it would be directly proportional to how many girls, how old they were, and how involved I was with the camp. If I planned it, I don't sleep/sit/eat while I am there...cause I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off....If I was just there to be an extra body (hasn't happened yet) then I could probably find many a moment to knit!

MerigoldinWA
05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't knit a whole lot when I'm in public. I have nothing against it though. I knit in the car sometimes when the scenery is not compelling. You really have to consider the type of knitting. I don't try to knit something that needs concentration when I'm supposed to be listening to my husband talk ;-). I think the reason I don't knit a lot in public is that I have lots of time to knit at home and more social moments are rarer. People who have little time for knitting, I don't blame them for trying to squeeze it in whenever they can.

Someone said you should be able to knit anywhere you could read. If the knitting is simple I don't find a correlation there. People don't usually read and watch a movie at the same time, but this is very easy to do with simple knitting. I recently went to a series of health classes that lasted over 2 hours each. I didn't knit when a live speaker was talking and people were interacting, but during the long DVD lecture, I knit. Room darkened, I don't click when I knit and I was in the back of the room. It was simple knitting and I looked up when they were showing an important chart or graphic and off and on the rest of the time. I think many people can knit during lectures (well chosen knitting). Not bothering other people would be the big consideration, not if the knitter could do it.

I liked Steve's list of where not to knit. LOL

Denise in Michigan
05-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I would strongly recommend not knitting during a trial - especially in France. The wrong person might be beheaded.

Well, maybe you could on Bastille Day. :mrgreen:

Only if you are Madame DeFarge!:teehee:

InterNette
05-14-2008, 01:24 AM
I knit anywhere I can. I spend many days a month at doctors offices and I always have to have my knitting with me. I dont really carry a purse, but a large tote bag that has everything in the world in it. Knit mags, knit needles, yarn for more than one project, snacks, wallet etc. I knit at dinner when my companion is eating, I am always done at least 20 min before him, he is so slow and I would go insane if I didnt. I use to read before learning to knit, so I think he is use to it. I can carry on a conversation while knitting so I dont find anything wrong with it.
I knit in front of the tv, while on the phone sometimes, as my sister and I can have a 2 hour chat. If I wasnt always the driver but was fotunate enough to be the passenger then I would get even more knitting done. I go to a sewing group get together on thursdays afternoons and since I am not a hand quilter but a machine quilter, I bring my knitting. I have to say I have turned at least 6 people I know into knitters that werent when I met them, some thursdays no one is sewing and everyone is knitting or crocheting.

Knitting_Guy
05-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I've found that knitting in the shower is less than effective.

McKnitty
05-14-2008, 10:41 AM
I've found that knitting in the shower is less than effective.

Hmm, just thinking here......what if you wanted to felt something? Not saying I want to try it, but it might work.

blueygh2
05-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Hmm, just thinking here......what if you wanted to felt something? Not saying I want to try it, but it might work.

Might be called "Felting as you go"...?