PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed

jdee
05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Some of you may remember my great bargain on Creme yarn.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78763&highlight=yarn+shopping+excitement
Since I got this yarn home, I've been desparately searching for the perfect pattern for it, and I keep putting off using it, because I don't want to ruin it. Isn't that strange? It's almost like I'm afraid to use it.:help: What's my problem?! Knitting isn't supposed to be stressful.

Jan in CA
05-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I completely understand. I feel exactly the same way when I get some nice yarn like that. Are you on Ravelry? Because this is the perfect situation for it. I looked up that yarn and found that there were 58 projects made or in progress. It really helps when you see what others made from it.

jdee
05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Unfortuately, I'm not on ravelry. I see posts about it, and people refering to it all the time, but I still don't really know much about it.

Jan in CA
05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Check it out. Even if you use it for nothing more than a research tool it's worth it. And it's free.
http://www.ravelry.com/

Cirrus
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
This is very normal. We knitters like to collect yarn as well as use it. Stamp collectors do the same, some stamps they use, some they collect. You must read Yarn Harlot, The Secret Life of a Knitter. Her sections about her yarn stash are hilarious, but so true! You'll see yourself there.

Susan

Ingrid
05-08-2008, 02:46 PM
I have some Great Adirondack alpaca that's been lounging in my stash for over two years. It's absolutely gorgeous, but I don't even want to roll in up. I have a feeling that I'll be buried with it, or will be trying to knit with it in the nursing home.

Once I make something with it, it'll be gone.:pout:

jdee
05-08-2008, 02:52 PM
:roflhard: So true!

Plantgoddess+
05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I felt that way about my camel hair yarn. It took me about 20 years to find something to make with it. I ended up designing my own using the Sweater Workbook for shaping. I love wearing it it's sooo soft.

Jen17
05-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I know, I have puruvian tweed alpaca and it is sooo soft, I can't stand it. All I have done is a swatch. I just like to walk by and feel it!
I somehow missed the pictures of your great find and just went back and looked! Wow!!! did you do good or what, lol!!!
Go look at Ravelry and you will get some inspiration like Jan said. I do that when I want to see what a certain yarn looks like knitted up!
Have fun with it!
Jen

Cynamar
05-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't want to use my stash. I want to get new stuff for a project.

jdee
05-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel guilty because I have so much yarn, but when I go shopping, I still want more. Sometimes, when I ask DH how much I can spend on yarn, He asks, "How much do you need?" Well I don't really NEED any...:roflhard:

Cynamar
05-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Depends on how you define "need".