PDA

View Full Version : New vacuum -- Ewwww

Knit4Pie
05-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I needed a new vacuum because my other 2 (yes I had 2) were both broken. Well, one was broken and the other never really worked well anyway.

I didn't have much of a budget for this right now so when I saw our Canadian Tire had the Dirt Devil Jaguar for sale half-off -- for a total of $49.99 -- I decided to go for it. The reviews were all positive so I figured if it didn't work well, I'd get a better one when my budget allowed in a few months.

OMGoodness! This thing is amazing. Yes, it's loud, but it certainly works!!! I couldn't believe what it picked up. If I didn't know better, I would think one of 2 things: 1) That the filter was already dirty when I bought it; or 2) that I hadn't vacuumed in about a year.

It was disgusting, and it's worse when I think that I only did the main areas. I didn't go under furniture or corners and stuff. Ugh.

vaknitter
05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Congrats on the new vac !! I actually LOVE vacuuming the carpets - although I much prefer hardwood. My dirt devil was actually a lemon and never worked very well and luckily the hubby came with a vacuum so I didn't have to buy a new one...but it has a clean/dirty light on it that drive me nuts !

Lucy78green
05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm weird but I love the see-through vacuum cleaners where you can see what you've sucked up going around in there. It used to amuse me to vacuum different coloured carpets to see if the fluff colour changed...

Ingrid
05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I had the same thing happen with my new vacuum! You'd have thought I never vacuumed the living room. Ever! The vacuum is bagless and I totally filled the canister before I even finished.:shifty: :shifty:

I really, really have vacuumed in the past!:teehee:

Knit4Pie
05-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Just thought I'd show you what I picked up. Keep in mind that this is just the "middle" of the living room, the hallway, and just a bit of my bedroom.

Just for perspective, that dust/dirt at the very bottom of the canister is a bit more than 1 3/4" deep!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Danaetou/Icons/FurStuff-1.jpg

vaknitter
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
wow - that is impressive ! We have two dogs so we change our bag every month . I like the idea of a bagless vac, but anticipate hardwood in my next house.

Plantgoddess+
05-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Congrats on the new vac !! I actually LOVE vacuuming the carpets - although I much prefer hardwood. My dirt devil was actually a lemon and never worked very well and luckily the hubby came with a vacuum so I didn't have to buy a new one...but it has a clean/dirty light on it that drive me nuts !
Mine has the same thing and my carpets were almost 10 years old when I got the vacuum. So far I only have the office and 2 bedroom carpets clean according to the lights. I've about given up on the family room and living room. I have 2 dogs and I swear the male oozes mud continually from his paws. They are both lab crosses and very short haired. I don't know how he can pack so much dirt in his paws.

Ivy19
05-08-2008, 10:25 PM
They are both lab crosses and very short haired. I don't know how he can pack so much dirt in his paws.

I also have 2 short haired dogs (English Bulldogs). I didn't realize how much they actually shed until we got a Dyson with the clear canister - ugh - I had NO idea!

Plantgoddess+
05-08-2008, 10:31 PM
These 2 shed year round. My linoleum is light colored and really shows the black dust bunnies. I generally only get 3 vacuumings to a bag. I swear they shed their weight in hair every year.

Ivy19
05-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I actually was reading something last night on the net about a woman who knits with pet hair. She will use your pet's hair (dogs or cats), that you collect after brushing them, spin it and make whatever you want. Apparently dog hair is REALLY warm. She says that you can't have a sweater out of it because you'd never be able to wear it.

Maybe I'm not crazy enough about my dogs, since I can't imagine wanting a pair of socks made out of their hair.

ecb
05-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I don't know how he can pack so much dirt in his paws.
look close and you will notice the grooves in the pads of the paws, and the webbing between the toes. there is also slightly longer hair between the claws as well
all of these traits help them carry not only the CLUMPS of mud, but the fine dirt and flecks of grass as well

ecb