PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Issues...

HamaLee
05-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Why is it that I assume my body is so much larger than it actually is? (I'm guessing I'm probably not the only lady with this problem). I have no made myself two sweaters and a shrug. I measured myself, measured my gauge, and made the sizes I thought I was and ALL THREE garments are too big!!

It's not the fault of the designer and it's not the fault of my gauge. It''s totally my brain!! :doh:

I wore my Bellflower Shrug (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/HamaLee/bellflower-shrug) last night (and was complimented aplenty!) and it grew a bit as the night wore on. When I made it I altered the pattern so that it would be larger to fit my size. Guess what--the size as written would have been perfectly fine! What's wrong with me?? :shrug:

Anyhow...I'm about to embark on the Intolerable Cruelty (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/intolerable-cruelty) skirt from Knitty and I'd like some wisdom! I'm in a quandary about the sizing: should I measure my waist and use that exact measurement? Should I measure where I want the garment to fit below my waist and use that measurement? Or should I measure my waist, choose my according size...freak out and say "no I should make one size bigger", then smack myself and make the correct size? :teehee:

suzeeq
05-09-2008, 11:45 AM
It's better to measure a garment that fits like the pattern; you'd be surprised at how your favorite sweater may actually be smaller than your own measurement. Hopefully you have a skirt that's a similar style, go by that measurement.

Jen17
05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I too am one that always say's, "hmmm, I should go up a size" and regret it every time. Right now I'm knitting a sweater for my mom and my head keeps saying the same thing BUT this time I am not going to listen to it!
That is some skirt! But the way it is designed, at least you will be able to cinch it a little bit if it gets loose with wear!
Can't wait to see you post it when you are done!
Have you picked a color and yarn? Just curious!
Jen

HamaLee
05-09-2008, 12:34 PM
I have some Shine Sport in my stash that I decided to use. I saw a few on Ravelry that looked nice with the yarn. And my yarn is HOT PINK:cool:. I don't really know what I'm thinking here...hehehe, I never wear bright colors like that. But I'm gonna go for it and feel sexy and bright!

bambi
05-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I have the same problem! For sweaters I'm going to try to make about 2" negative ease. I've never tired to make a skirt though. I don't know if the same would apply.

Bambi

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-13-2008, 08:17 PM
you're going to be all "va-va-va-voom" and "bow-chicka-bow-wow" :teehee: