PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think Of This Idea?

Knitting_Guy
05-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I've decided to try something different with the sport weight alpaca yarn. Instead of making a hat and a scarf I am going to try a very long hat that you can wrap the top around your neck so that it's basically a hat and scarf together in a single piece.

I have no idea how such a thing will wind up looking but I figure it'll definitely be different.

MMario
05-09-2008, 02:26 PM
YOu used to see these back in the late 50's early 60's - and in some Currier and Ives pictures.....Usually about long enough to reach almost the waist - some were longer.

I'm thinking of doing one - but with a sock foot instead of a tassel on the end.

shifio
05-09-2008, 02:44 PM
ive seen that somewhere, it will be good no gap in the neck cosy

The.Knitter
05-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Cool idea Mason. Now you have me thinking!!!

sakura-panda
05-09-2008, 02:49 PM

I have a hood thing with long ends that acts as a hood and a scarf all at once -- that's not what you're talking about though, right? :noway:

I love that thing; what a great idea to make a new one for myself! :thumbsup:

Good luck with yours and thanks for the idea for me. :lol:

Knitting_Guy
05-09-2008, 02:52 PM
YOu used to see these back in the late 50's early 60's - and in some Currier and Ives pictures.....Usually about long enough to reach almost the waist - some were longer.

I'm thinking of doing one - but with a sock foot instead of a tassel on the end.

Rats! And here I thought I had an original idea :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
05-09-2008, 02:53 PM

I thought it might be kinda cool.

Knitting_Guy
05-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I have a hood thing with long ends that acts as a hood and a scarf all at once -- that's not what you're talking about though, right? :noway:

I love that thing; what a great idea to make a new one for myself! :thumbsup:

Good luck with yours and thanks for the idea for me. :lol:

I've seen those, but never one like I am thinking but obviously they've been done before.

Cirrus
05-09-2008, 03:17 PM
In cold weather, one of these would be ideal. Keep the head and neck warm without places for cold air to seep in.

bethany
05-09-2008, 03:28 PM
it's an awesome idea Mason. They look really cool. (You're just not the first to have it! nuts!) Check Rav--here's onehttp://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nomad-hat-and-scarf

You can just do one of your awesome hats to go with it...:D And I'll model it for you!

Knitting_Guy
05-09-2008, 03:32 PM
it's an awesome idea Mason. They look really cool. (You're just not the first to have it! nuts!) Check Rav--here's onehttp://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nomad-hat-and-scarf

You can just do one of your awesome hats to go with it...:D And I'll model it for you!

Thanks. That nomad hat looks nice, but is almost the exact opposite of what I have in mind. I am thinking about making the top of the hat really long so that it can be wrapped around the neck. Almost like a really long sleeping cap sort of thing.

bethany
05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
oooooooh---hey, maybe on to something there ;)

You totally have to make it look snake-skin-y! haha!

cindycactus
05-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I am sure you can build on something that is out there but make it another Mason Original!!!:thumbsup:

Jan in CA
05-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I think it can be done, cool idea!

threesmom
05-09-2008, 06:23 PM
It's wrong, but I keep getting the image of the little brother in Christmas Story with that hugely long stripey hat.:teehee: Not what you had in mind, I'm pretty sure. But I think something like that would be awesome in in nice pattern, nice yarn, no stripes ... Good luck with it!

Cynamar
05-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I have a couple of patterns for these. Think one is from Lion's site.

suzeeq
05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Check the patterns at knitlist.com - I'm sure I've seen a pattern for something like it, though some of them don't have pictures they may have a description.

Knitting_Guy
05-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Honestly I prefer making it up as I go instead of following someone else's pattern.

cindycactus
05-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Honestly I prefer making it up as I go instead of following someone else's pattern.

Thats the Mason we have come to know.:clink:

Cynamar
05-10-2008, 08:46 AM
That's great if you are experienced enough for it. At least you get exactly what you want. I need the pattern for now.

wishfulthinking
05-10-2008, 09:37 AM
This may not be exactly what you had in mind, but there is a pattern for a hood/scarf in the Tracy Ullman knitting book I got from the library yesterday.

Cynamar
05-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Tracy Ullman has a knitting book? I had no idea she knitted.

Plantgoddess+
05-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Tracy Ullman has a knitting book? I had no idea she knitted.
I had checked her book out of the library last month. There was some enjoyable reading but I didn't find any pattern that made me want to knit.

Cynamar
05-10-2008, 10:45 AM
I saw her in Taming Of The Shrew in Central Park a long time ago. She's not one of my favorites but she is funny. I like her more now that I know she's a knitter.

suzeeq
05-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Great, I'm glad you've got the confidence to make up your own patterns now. I'm pulling one together that's a mix of about 3.

knitasha
05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Isn't that what we used to call a stocking cap? A hat that just keeps going on and on until you can wrap it around your neck?

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/hats/knitted-stocking-cap-pattern.html

Knitting_Guy
05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Isn't that what we used to call a stocking cap? A hat that just keeps going on and on until you can wrap it around your neck?

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/hats/knitted-stocking-cap-pattern.html

Yeah, that's the basic idea. I must have seen one some place a long time ago and just don't recall. Ah well, maybe there aren't any original ideas left :rofl:

CountryKitty
05-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I KNOW I've seen something like that in the last year on a knitting forum I visited, but can't remember the name. It (the hat) was Canadian in origin.

Ditto! And even when I do follow a pattern I wind up changing SOMETHING...yarn, color, add or subtract detailing. (The boy has been diagnosed as borderline ADD--wonder where he gets that? ;) )

knitasha
05-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, that's the basic idea. I must have seen one some place a long time ago and just don't recall. Ah well, maybe there aren't any original ideas left :rofl:

It may not be totally original but it's still a good idea. And the way you use the basic concepte will make it unique. Thanks for reminding me of this neat design -- looking ahead to next winter, I may just have to make one.

madametj
05-13-2008, 05:43 PM
I have no idea how that would look, but it would be so cool! have you made it yet?

Knitting_Guy
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
have you made it yet?

I've started it but as I've been running hard on the road so as to make it home I haven't got much done on it yet.