View Full Version : Whats the difference?

05-10-2008, 09:03 AM
This may seem like a very stupid question, but I gotta ask somebody. What's the difference between skeins, balls, and hanks of yarn?

05-10-2008, 09:14 AM
The difference is in how the yarn is wound. A yarn is in a "ball" if it is fairly round and usually with a center pull. A "skein" is more oblong shaped (think Red Heart, Caron's Simply Soft, Brown Sheep, etc.) A "hank" is a length of yarn usually twisted into itself - mostly found at a LYS. These need to be wound into some usable form - you know, the arms held out and the yarn wound around them method.

I think this is mostly correct - someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :aww:

05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Babs, that is my understanding as well.

05-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Mine, too. If you buy hanks often a ball winder might be a good investment.

05-10-2008, 11:30 AM
It's easy enough to wind them yourself too though!

05-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Some people and manufacturers refer to the hanks as skeins though, adding to the confusion.

05-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks to all. I always wondered why people called it different names. Now I can too and actually know the what I'm talking about.