PDA

View Full Version : Need more space for your Stash?

Firey Vixxen
05-11-2008, 09:54 AM
And let's face it, who doesn't?
I read about using space bags for stash sorting, and checked out their website and thought that their travel (Non-vacume) SpaceBags seemed very much likes snaplock bags. So I bought a 20 pack of XL snaplock bags to try out.
I started with 3 48 Litre plastic boxes, 1 50 litre Plastic box, and Various scattered "change".
I finished with 2 48 Litre plastic boxes, 1 50 litre Plastic box, and a bit more scattered "change".
I lost about 48 litres "full to bursting, cannot fit another skein in, sit on the lid to close" worth of yarn. Without Knitting a Stitch.
If it weren't for the fact I kept all UFO's out of bags and the fact I have too many UFO's I would have finished "lost" More!
There are some cons though. Snaplock bags clearly were not designed for this kind of thing so they can break. And I'm certain they'll try to reinflate themselves over time, so they need to be kept in a structured container as well. and you can't store anything with needles or you risk A: Damaging your Needle, and B: Punching a hole into the bag.
but for $5, I thought some peoples might want to Know!

Ambjer
05-11-2008, 03:35 PM
If you don't want to pay for a SpaceBag, you can use a regular garbage bag [instead of a ziptop bag] with a vacuum too. Just put your stuff in the garbage bag, gather the end, stick the vacuum end in there, vacuum the air out, and quickly seal it off! Easy-peasy and super cheap!

GinnyG
05-11-2008, 08:56 PM
I used a bunch of space bags for storing yarn about 6 weeks ago. I bought a box of 10. Three leaked from the get go, 2 leaked within a short amount of time. The rest, every last one, have lost their seal over the past month.

I was HUGELY dissappointed and will never buy them again.

YouCantBuyThisMovement
05-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I am currently using shoe boxes (or whatever box I can find) and running out of room to store them. I am hoping to convince my Dear Daddy to make me a chest with sections to store all my stuff at the end of my bed. I think that would be the best way to go.

GirlChris
05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I have a friend with a big bookshelf that has all of her yarn and knitting books on it. A few baskets with needles and such and poof adoarble. It just looks so cute and cozy because her yarn is so pretty so it has become part of the decor of her already country inspired home. I don't have a lot of yarn right now so I have a 3 drawer rolling plastic drawer set. It has my patterns, books, needles and such in the top drawer and the bottom 2 have yarn. I keep it in the bottom of my hall closet unless I am knitting something and then I just roll it out next to my chair. It works for me but it's not exactly cute. LOL

Spokaloo
05-13-2008, 06:35 PM
It works for me but it's not exactly cute. LOL

Beats the heck out of MY "system"! I have a beat up old cardboard box that sits on the couch beside me and it's stuffed with all my sock yarn -- both new skeins and leftovers -- along with my sock needles, lots of patterns, a couple of books, ... you name it!
:passedout:

Knit4Fun
05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
I am lucky to have a cedar closet to store my yarn in, but the shelves were full to overflowing, so I went to Tuesday Morning and found two of the multi-tier sweater shelves that hang from a closet rod to put yarn on!