PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm making socks and having trouble with the CO #!

boo1
05-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I started making a pair with FdC Maxime on size 4s (getting used to smaller needles). I cast on 56, but was told that they would be too big (?) because they stretch. So I frogged them, started over with 48 co sts, and now they're going to be too small (as in, too tight on my calves) without stretching them TOO much.

So here is the dilemma. If this was not a stretchy garment, I can understand to get gauge and go from there. But how much do I take from what would be the co number to account for the stretch? For example, for simplicity's sake, if my calf is 12 inches around and I'm getting 5 st/in on size 4s, and I cast on 60, it will be too big because of the stretch. So how many stitches would I back down?

Thanks! I love making socks but I want them to fit!

Laura

Plantgoddess+
05-11-2008, 11:43 AM
According to Socks, Socks, and More Socks in the charts for # of stitches cast on, she's working off foot circumference. That should be a smaller number than calf measurement. For a 12" circumference at 5 stitches to inch it would be 64 stitches.
My foot is average at about 8.5 circumference and on that large a needle I would probably cast on between 52 and 56 stitches depending on the stitch repeat for the pattern.
According to the chart an 8.5" circumference would call for a cast on of 48 stitches at 5 stitches to inch.

fibrenut
05-11-2008, 11:53 AM
:thumbsup: Hiya Boo1,
I would go ahead and cast on the 56 stitches (if you're making them top down n not toe up) then I would decrease evenly around to the 48 stitches for the foot and ankle parts.
I would decrease right under where the calf muscle is. Or for a more gradual decrease I would decrease half my stitches right under the calf muscle work a few more rounds (say 5 or 6) then decrease the other half to get to the 48 stitches. Then work your sock as normal.
If you're working a pattern into the sock, that'll take a little bit more math but it can be done.
I hope that helps hun!~!!:thumbsup: