PDA

View Full Version : Ashford Scholar

Doublereeder2
05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I just won a little old Scholar on Ebay. It needs a lot of TLC and I look forward to dismantling her, lovingly cleaning each and every piece and making her glow again. :inlove:

mullerslanefarm
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Congratulations! Have fun getting to know her!

TrinaOR
05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I learned to spin on a scholar and loved that little wheel.... Have fun with your new baby:woohoo:

Doublereeder2
05-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I have been wanting a folding wheel for easy transport to the spin-ins a while but didn't want to spend the big bucks on it. So when I saw her, I knew I had to win her. There is the picture from Ebay on my blog. She should arrive this week (I hope) and then I'll know how much refurbishing she will need.

Liliyarn
05-14-2008, 02:21 AM
I saw it on your blog. As long as everything works, she'll clean up and be wonderful. Just from the picture though she just needs a little TLC like you said. Keep us posted.

Doublereeder2
05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
The wheel arrived yesterday and to my delight, is really in great shape. The wood is unfinished and very dry so I washed her down with Murphy's Oil Soap and am going to start sanding today. There was one place where the wood is badly chipped, so I got some stainable wood filler and already repaired it. I was thinking of a warm mahogany for the stain since my other wheel is a light walnut.

One of my friends told me that Ashford did not put finishes on the wheels years ago (at least not on the Scholars) - anyone know if that is so?