PDA

View Full Version : 300 lbs of wool?

Cattrah
05-12-2008, 01:00 PM
So I'm part of the local chapter of Freecycle (www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org)) and someone has offered 300 lbs of wool from their sheep they just sheared. They said it was not fine but medium grade. I don't spin, but is this useful to sell? I'm sure it's probably not cleaned and stuff

Karina
05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Just thought I would say thank you for the link. Have never heard of freecycle before and have now found that there is a local group to me so have joined.

KnittinMitchie
05-12-2008, 02:21 PM
OH YES it is very useful to sell. Once you get it ALL washed you can card it and sell it off. I do spin and have started to process raw fiber

Cattrah
05-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I was afraid of that. I don't really have the time, energy, or know how to prepare it. That's A LOT of wool, too much work for my pregnant stressed out self. Maybe I'll just email the person and let them know if they can find a spinner they could probably sell it to them.

jeanius80
05-12-2008, 02:57 PM
i agree with knittinmitchie. Make sure you ask what breed the sheep are (spinner will want to know). It most likely won't be skirted (meaning yucky edges and possible poopy edges lol) Thats also a LOT of wool to process, I would probably send it to a mill (after you remove the yuckiest part) Then you can dye and sell it off as roving or top or even pencil roving depending on how you get it prepped. It would be a good investment, you would definantly make your money back plus!

kashadilla
05-14-2008, 07:16 PM
You have GOT to be kidding me!!! 300 pounds?! I have THREE pounds sitting in my living room, and its going to take me FOREVER to wash it all out (I'm doing it all in small batches in the sink though, since our washer/dryer is public I don't think I should use it to wash/dry wool!) Thats awesome, and you could very likely sell it on ebay or etsy by the pound in it's dirty, oiley state. I know I buy fleeces like that for spinning!

mullerslanefarm
05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
I agree with Kashadilla.
Find out the breed of sheep this wool was taken from (hopefully, it's not a mixed flock).
Offer it on ebay at .50/lb. Make sure you state that it is Raw and Unskirted.