PDA

View Full Version : Cat's toothpaste... any suggestions?

jennylozano
05-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Dear all,
Today, one of my cats, Nania, had her once a year exam with the vet. She is healthy overall, but is having gingivitis (sp) issues. I asked the vet what can I do, and she, of course, recommended me to brush her teeth... duh!!! :teehee: The other possibility is giving Nania those treats that help taking care of teeth, but she never likes any treats of any kind.... Sooooo, I will have to get a toothpaste for her that is appealing enough to start introducing the brushing thing into her (and mine) daily rutine. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know she dislikes malt flavor, so, I guess I would go with a seafood or chicken... but which one? I read a review of a poultry flavor toothpaste (Perodex or something like that) for dogs, where the reviewer say she uses it for her cats too.... Is that OK? Do you think is it fine to use a dog's toothpaste, intended for dogs, with a cat?
Thanks a lot, :thumbsup:

CountryKitty
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Shhhh! Don't tell her it's for dogs! Cats can't read--she'll never know!

jennylozano
05-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Shhhh! Don't tell her it's for dogs! Cats can't read--she'll never know!

:rofl: OHHH got it!!!! :thumbsup:

vaknitter
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
all I know about cats is that I'm allergic. However, I do know that I have poulty flavored dog toothpaste from my vet that is an enzyme ... not sure why you couldn't use it with a cat? I guess just use a smaller amount. I'm kinda suprised the vet didn't offer you something in the office.

KniftyKnitterGal
05-13-2008, 12:53 PM
All I know about brushing cats teeth is.... WEAR GLOVES!!!! Like the gloves that handle the hawks and eagles and such. Otherwise you might not be able to knit for a while bc you might not have hands again! HAHAHAHAHA! Well obviously I don't mean literally, but I would be careful. :waving:

jennylozano
05-13-2008, 07:25 PM
all I know about cats is that I'm allergic. However, I do know that I have poulty flavored dog toothpaste from my vet that is an enzyme ... not sure why you couldn't use it with a cat? I guess just use a smaller amount. I'm kinda suprised the vet didn't offer you something in the office.

Yeah, she didn't offer any and I didn't ask either.... Maybe because I was hoping to keep the vet's bill as unexpensive as possible.... because it has happened to me in the past, I get stuff from them, and a bit after I see the same thing at petsmart or online for much less!!! :tap:

jennylozano
05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
All I know about brushing cats teeth is.... WEAR GLOVES!!!! Like the gloves that handle the hawks and eagles and such. Otherwise you might not be able to knit for a while bc you might not have hands again! HAHAHAHAHA! Well obviously I don't mean literally, but I would be careful. :waving:

:rofl: I have thought of that!! Was just wondering what kind of gloves... playtex rubber gloves?? LOL... But perhaps I can get those you mentioned (to handle hawks and eagles, etc.) :teehee:

InterNette
05-14-2008, 01:09 AM
I use to work in the vet field. You can use gauze pad wrapped around your finger for brushing, it has a slight scrubbing action with the weave and is easy to manuever plus you feel the pressure with your finger and are more gentle then with some brushing doo dos. There is drops you can use that is helpful to cut down on bateria in the mouth, most vets wont tell you about it, I told my mom and sister up north and now they get it also. I went to one to a seminar for pet dentals for the company and most dental cleanings leave actual small microscoptic ridges and this unfortunately causes the need for continual cleaning as it allows food to build up on the enamel. If you use the clindamycin drops it helps prevent build up and bacteria. Now in fairness I havent worked in the vet field in about 5 years now so things could have changed and they could have new products. I have siamese and with the breeding making them more wedged faced the breed has suffered terrible with teeth problems and I use these drops faithfully, dropperfull daily for 3 days a month is all I use.

bjc1050
05-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I use to work in the vet field. You can use gauze pad wrapped around your finger for brushing, it has a slight scrubbing action with the weave and is easy to manuever plus you feel the pressure with your finger and are more gentle then with some brushing doo dos. There is drops you can use that is helpful to cut down on bateria in the mouth, most vets wont tell you about it, I told my mom and sister up north and now they get it also. I went to one to a seminar for pet dentals for the company and most dental cleanings leave actual small microscoptic ridges and this unfortunately causes the need for continual cleaning as it allows food to build up on the enamel. If you use the clindamycin drops it helps prevent build up and bacteria. Now in fairness I havent worked in the vet field in about 5 years now so things could have changed and they could have new products. I have siamese and with the breeding making them more wedged faced the breed has suffered terrible with teeth problems and I use these drops faithfully, dropperfull daily for 3 days a month is all I use.

Are these drops available only from a vet or can they be purchased at places like PetSmart?

I would also suggest feeding dry food instead of moist or canned. The dry food helps clean the teeth and is less likely to leave remains in the cat's mouth to breed bacteria.

For my dogs I frequently give them rawhide chips which they love. Too bad there isn't something similar that cats love, also.

InterNette
05-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I only ever got them from the vets so you might call pet smart to ask if they carry them. A bottle usually costs about 13 dollars. My family just asks for a bottle when they go and it last at least 6 months if not more, you do need to refridgerate it, at least I do in florida to keep it fresh.
I also dont feed my cats canned cat food, they do however have me feeding them chicken, liver, steak, turkey. They get 1 table spoon for treats but I rely on siamese 38 dry food for them to make them crunch for cleaning and gum health.