PDA

View Full Version : Is Homespun impossible?

escomyluv
05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I am trying to crochet an afghan that is supposed to be easy, but I can't even get passed the chain stitches because I can't tell where to put the needle. And the reason is this Lion Brand Homespun yarn. All the crinkles in it are making it almost impossible for me. How does anyone crochet with this stuff? I am almost in tears because I wanted to do this soooo bad and because I bought alot of it, but I don't think it's gonna happen. Are there any secrets that could help me?

aprildavis99
05-13-2008, 05:12 PM
I feel for you. :pout: I totally agree. Homespun is very hard to crochet with. The bright side it that once you get past the base chain, it gets easier since you have the stitches established. Patience it the only real trick. What I found I had to do is make my chain loops a little bigger than normal so I could find them. It was slow going, and I had to make a really good border to account for the loose chains I had made in the beginning, but it worked out in the end. It came out really nice. But honestly I never worked with the stuff again.:ick:
Good luck. :pray:
Or if you don't want to make an edge to edge blanket try a very large granny square blanket where you're not working into chains at all, but working into the ch-sp's in between. So much easier and quicker for that type of yarn.

escomyluv
05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I think I'm just gonna try to find something to knit with it. I did get three rows done but it took me longer than I want to spend on it. Especially if I gonna be irritated the whole time. But I guess this is the only way to learn...trial and error.

DonnaS
05-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I have crocheted with it but never again and I'm an experienced crocheter. I have also knitted with it and again.. never again. This yarn feels wonderfully soft and looks like it would be great done up, but it's horrid to work with... the ends fray very badly and are hard to weave back in when you fasten off. Whatever you make, make sure you don't have alot of yarn changes or you will be pulling your hair out.

Becky Morgan
05-14-2008, 12:10 AM
You really have to crochet loosely and/or work a pattern where you go between instead of into stitches, as April pointed out above. It's waaaay easier to knit with. I happen to love the stuff, but I found out you can't yank it tight or the thread that holds all the "roving" will break and so will the rest of the yarn.

Wanda Witch
05-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I have a question regarding the Homespun and crochet. I am making knitting the world's ugliest afghan with a lot of the Homespun, plus other Lion brand yarn, and the edges are not at all attractive. Thought (?) possibly I could crochet an edge around the thing in the same color pattern at each end? BUT, I am really a novice with a crochet hook, what size would be the proper one? Any ideas out there? Thanks, if so. No more Homespun here for this one.

escomyluv
05-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I am now knitting an afghan with this Homespun but I am still irritated. This stuff is just horrible! I don't want to do anything with it, but I bought like 7 different colors and I got use it somehow. Wanda, if I was you I wouldn't try crocheting with this yarn....maybe some other kind. Do yall think the LYS would take this yarn back? :hair:

Wanda Witch
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I am now knitting an afghan with this Homespun but I am still irritated. This stuff is just horrible! I don't want to do anything with it, but I bought like 7 different colors and I got use it somehow. Wanda, if I was you I wouldn't try crocheting with this yarn....maybe some other kind. Do yall think the LYS would take this yarn back? :hair:
Escomyluv, thanks for the advice. I purchased all this yarn from Lion Brand online by the way. I have knit over one-half of the afghan so will just try and finish it up as best I can. Maybe I could use another one of the yarn(s) included in the order. I'll see how it looks, but thanks for giving me fair warning.

McKnitty
05-17-2008, 08:44 AM
I've knit a few scarves with Homespun, but with very large (size 17 or 19) needles and with a carry-along yarn (Fun Fur). The scarves turned out great, but Homespun is not fun to work with.

Most of the posts I've read suggest using very large needles for Homespun, so would that also work for crochet? I'm just curious though. I don't actually plan to use it again.

amy
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Most of the posts I've read suggest using very large needles for Homespun, so would that also work for crochet? I'm just curious though. I don't actually plan to use it again.

Yes, this is what I was going to suggest. If you need to use it (like for your border Wanda) go with a large crochet hook--like maybe twice the thickness of a pencil? And if that gives you grief, go bigger. The more room you have in the stitch (whether knit or crochet) the easier it will be to fish through without catching on the stitch....It will still be a headache to work with, but a bit easier.

suzeeq
06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Do the whole thing with a larger hook, extra large on the chain.

mathwizard
06-14-2008, 06:20 AM
I bought some of the suede yarn and I am glad they fazed it out !!! I made an hat and scarf and it was slow to start with but if you broke the yarn which is thread covered with the soft suede stuff it stunk. If the homespun is anything like it thanks for the heads up. I do like their woolease yarn.:cheering:

akarateka
06-18-2008, 09:42 AM
I have crocheted a pair of slippers with Homespun and didn't have any problems. It's a very nice yarn. Much easier to crochet with than many novelty yarns. However I can see how a tight crocheter can have problems.

sakura-panda
06-19-2008, 04:36 PM
You really have to crochet loosely and/or work a pattern where you go between instead of into stitches, as April pointed out above. It's waaaay easier to knit with. I happen to love the stuff, but I found out you can't yank it tight or the thread that holds all the "roving" will break and so will the rest of the yarn.

Am I the only one who doesn't have problems with this yarn? LOL :rofl:

I have to say that my pattern is something like this, though. I don't know the proper crocheting terminology so I should probably just take a picture, but I do grab the entire "chain" instead of trying to dig into the individual loops, so maybe that is why it is going so well for me. :shrug:

I'll try to take a picture to post; this topic comes up a lot anyway and I'm a bit of a showoff. :blush:

cmhoover1
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I stopped using Homespun! It has the most beautiful colors, but is impossible to work with. I don't understand why Lion Brand doesn't know this!!!

feministmama
07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I stopped using Homespun! It has the most beautiful colors, but is impossible to work with. I don't understand why Lion Brand doesn't know this!!!

Seriously why do they keep making this stuff?

grandmaknit
07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I just read the threads on Homespun yarn. I found 8 hanks in Goodwill for $4. What a find, so I thought.
Found a shawl on Lion's free patterns. With an "N" hook I tried a few times and no luck. Could not see where the chains were. Tried knitting with a size 13 ndl. not much better. I will put it away for awhile. Maybe someday I will use it or donate it.

Good luck to all who are still trying.
GrandmaKnit