PDA

View Full Version : Mom Is Home From Hospital

Knitting_Guy
05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
I finally made it home this afternoon. I decided to drop my trailer at the place where I park my truck and bobtail to my house to unload my gear and three months worth of dirty laundry since Mom's husband is busy with her at the hospital. I figured that way all he would have to do is come and pick me up and not waste extra time while I unloaded all of my crap.

As I pulled onto the street I caught a glimpse of a car that looked just like Mom's with two people in it. I figured it couldn't be her's as she was still in the hospital. When I pulled up in front of my house sure enough there was Mom being helped out of the car. The hospital had just released her.

I was amazed. Her surgery was on Friday and here she is at home already. Unreal.

I spent a couple of minutes with her but had to hurry up and unload my stuff as my truck pretty much blocks our small street. I then took the truck back to the parking lot and rode back with Mom's husband.

I had him stop at the store and I picked up a small dry erase board and marker so Mom could write down whatever she wanted to say without having to go through a lot of paper. It was only 5 bucks but she seemed to really appreciate it.

I'm quite pleased that she is doing so well. She "said" that the doctor had told her she was his first patient to be able to go home after only 4 days following this surgery and that she was a real fighter. I guess I get it naturally LOL.

She still has to recover from the surgery, and I can tell she's having a hard time adjusting to not being able to speak. I told her husband he needs to get her a specialized telephone so she can make phone calls, and I plan to get her a computer as soon as I am able.

And of course she still has the chemo thing to go through. I think that's going to be worse on her than the surgery. She knows it too as she's been through it before.

At least she's back home again where she's more comfortable. I'm going to remain home at least until the end of next week to help out.

Silver
05-13-2008, 06:58 PM
How nice that you were there for her welcome home. That's great timing! :) I'm glad she's home already, and hope she continues to do well. Sending lots of love your way! XOXO

Dangles
05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Mason, I am glad to hear your mom is home already. She will be in my prayers. :hug:

nefferbea
05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
What great news! I hope that she does well with her chemo. Positive thoughts for all of you.
Jennifer

cdjack
05-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I know that she still has a way to go with recovery/chemo, but at least she is out of the hospital and at home. When I was going through this with my Dad, it seemed to really perk up his spirit when he got to come home. I'm sure your presence has perked her up even more. My thoughts are with her.

mks22300
05-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Glad your mom is home and is on the mend! I hope her recovery goes as smoothly as possible.

Jan in CA
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
That was great that you had such perfect timing. I'm sure she was thrilled to see you! Hope she continues to heal quickly! :hug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-13-2008, 07:30 PM
great news!

mwhite
05-13-2008, 07:36 PM
So glad for you, Mason! Prayers continue for Mom's progress!

auburnchick
05-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Terrific news, Mason!!! I'm glad you'll be able to spend some time with her.

How long do you have before you go back out on the road?

Pat in Ca
05-13-2008, 08:09 PM
So glad to hear the good news... I'm sure it means everything to her to have such a great son who wants to be there for her..

Knit4Fun
05-13-2008, 08:21 PM
What fantastic news...and I'm sure your heart is warmed by seeing her doing well and at home so quickly. I hope you enjoy your visit with her. The dry erase board was so thoughtful of you...you're a good son! :hug:

Knitting_Guy
05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
How long do you have before you go back out on the road?

I plan to remain home at least until the end of next week.

Wanda Witch
05-13-2008, 09:21 PM
How absolutely great you are home, I can only imagine how your mother must feel having you there. I can only imagine also, how great you must feel being by your mother's side.

Prayers, thought of all positive nature go out to you, your mother and your step father. You need one another. Love to all of you. Wanda

evona
05-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I am so glad to hear that your mom is at home where she recover more comfortably! That is great news that she got out of the hospital so quickly. I am sending still more good thoughts your and your mom's way for the road ahead :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

bambi
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm so happy to hear that she is home and doing well. It will be a big adjustment for her not to be able to talk but the dry erase board was a wonderful idea.

I will continue to pray for her and you.

Bambi

The.Knitter
05-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Mason, what a wonderful homecoming she got! Your timing was perfect! That white board was such a good idea. You are to be commended for being so very considerate. Keep up the good work. She will get frustrated now and then, be patient. Also remember that she will probably be scared at times. With you and her husband in her corner she will do wonderfully well!

My :pray: are with her and with you and your family as you all deal with, and beat, this nasty disease.

mimi
05-13-2008, 10:15 PM
What a lucky mom to have such a nice son. Good luck to her for a speedy recovery.

Sewing Angel
05-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm so glad you got to welcome her home! It is great for both of you. The dry erase board is a great idea. As for the phone, in our area there is a service that helps with that. I'm not sure what it would be called in Florida. Maybe a social worker from the hospital would be able to help you out.
Angel

Spikey
05-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Glad to hear you are both home! Wishing her much success with this fight.

Doublereeder2
05-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Great Timing! I am sure she is thrilled you are there. I will keep her and you and the rest of your family in my prayers.

saracidaltendencies
05-13-2008, 11:58 PM
So glad to hear she's home, sending lots of good thoughts your way :hug:

KnittingNat
05-14-2008, 12:07 AM
It's great that your mom is home already. There's no place like home for recovery. Sending positive thoughts your way and hope she'll get through the chemo ok :hug:

Jeremy
05-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Hope your mom continues a good recovery. Enjoy your time with her.:hug:

Knit4Pie
05-14-2008, 07:32 AM
How great that your mother is already home, and that you got there in time to welcome her home. Sending good thoughts that the chemo goes well!

PurlyGyrl
05-14-2008, 09:12 AM
That is such great news! She'll be so much more comfortable at home. Best wishes being sent your way.

ecb
05-14-2008, 09:27 AM
I M so happy to hear her recovery has begun, I will continue to send all healing energy I can to her.

cindycactus
05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Mason that is wonderful. I am so happy that your Mom is at home and has you there to help her. You do come up with such good ideas. I will be praying for her through the up coming chemo . Your Mom is a figher and will survive.:pray: I have a friend right now going through chemo for Lung Cancer in Orlando.

Sunshine's Mom
05-14-2008, 09:56 AM
So glad she's home. There's no better place to get ACTUAL rest. The hospital is no place for sick people. My thoughts are with you and your mom. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and easy chemo.

xoAmy

dustinac
05-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm so glad she is home...continued prayers for her as she recovers from the surgery and begins chemo...:hug:

gotta knit
05-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Great to hear you finally got home and that your mom did too. Wishing her well with recovery, enjoy the time with her.

Sharly
05-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Mason - it is so wonderful that you can be there with your Mom. Enjoy your time together. Wishing her a quick recovery, tolerance of the chemo and an easy adjustment to her new situation.

Sewing Angel
05-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Mason, the service I was thinking of is a voice or text relay. Here is the link for Florida http://www.ftri.org/index.cfm/go/public.view/page/19

I don't know if this will help but its worth a try.
Hope she's feeling better being at home.
Angel

Knitting_Guy
05-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Mason, the service I was thinking of is a voice or text relay. Here is the link for Florida http://www.ftri.org/index.cfm/go/public.view/page/19

I don't know if this will help but its worth a try.
Hope she's feeling better being at home.
Angel

Thanks, I'll pass that on to her. I found out today that she already has a specialized phone ordered.

Ivy19
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
And of course she still has the chemo thing to go through. I think that's going to be worse on her than the surgery. She knows it too as she's been through it before.

At least she's back home again where she's more comfortable. I'm going to remain home at least until the end of next week to help out.
Mason: so glad your Mom is home - it's the best place for her to recover. I know you said she's been through chemo before; I'm not sure how long ago it was. Having fairly recently been through it myself, I just wanted to let you know that it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. The drugs they give you now for nausea are awesome and I always went back the day after a treatment for an I.V. flush of saline - kind of cleaned the poison out. I actually LOVED being bald - what freedom! But I know that if your Mom doesn't like it, you can make her some soft chemo caps. Here's hoping she sails through this. :thumbsup:

Ronda
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm glad to hear your mother is home and that you're able to be with her. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

vaknitter
05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
That's great that you r mom is home already ! Recovery really happens much faster at home - no beeping machines to wake you up all night or pesky nurses. Good thinking to stop and get the dry erase board !!

lelvsdgs
05-15-2008, 04:33 PM
I tell you, that is some kind of timing! And the dry erase board??? Brilliant. Looks like she's planned ahead with the phone thing too. Now she can just relax and concentrate on getting well.

VictoiseC
05-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Hugs and love to you and your Mom Mason. My husband is going through his mom's recovery after falling and breaking her leg and hip at 94. They so appreciate the attention, it's wonderful you're there for her. :heart: