PDA

View Full Version : Chemo Cap/Anything Hand-Knit Project for Mason's Mom - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Pages : [1] 2

auburnchick
05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi y'all. I don't know if any of you have been keeping up with Mason's post about his mom.

She's getting ready to start a new round of chemotherapy after enduring surgery.

Would anyone be interested in knitting up some caps for her?

Perhaps if we had enough interest, each person could knit one or two.

Thoughts?

I've never organized anything like this, so I'm open to suggestions.

bambi
05-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I'd be happy to knit up a couple. Did you have a specific pattern in mind? There is a pattern on Lion Brans'd website. When do you want them by?

Bambi

auburnchick
05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
I am totally open to suggestions...

Should we all do the same? I think that people have different knitting skills...so I don't think it would matter if we made the same pattern.

I don't even know what kind of yarn is best. I need to do some research.

Oh, and as far as when to get them in by? Hmmm...I figured we'd see who signs up and go from there. Sorry...this is a work in progress...

I'll pm Mason as soon as we have firmer plans and see how he wants to do this. He doesn't know I'm organizing it, but I did ask if he thought she might like some extra caps. We might say, let's get them sent to him by such-and-such date and send them directly to her (or him), according to what he prefers. Or, he might prefer only one person have his address (say me) and I send them out to him.

We'll figure it out.

evona
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I was just thinking about something to do for Mason and his mom when I saw this post. I'm not a very fast knitter though due to work and still having a teen in the house :hair: but I know I could definitely get at least 1 out :)

auburnchick
05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
I was just thinking about something to do for Mason and his mom when I saw this post. I'm not a very fast knitter though due to work and still having a teen in the house :hair: but I know I could definitely get at least 1 out :)

That's perfect! I think we all have grown to love Mason and want to do something. That's what this is about. Anything anyone wants and can do will be appreciated.

:hug:

KnittinMitchie
05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm game :) and if I have enough fiber left I may do it from my hand spun stash. and I have your address so I can mail the hat to you if that is what the plan is.

Doublereeder2
05-13-2008, 11:29 PM
There are some nice patterns at Head Huggers. (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/patterns.htm)

misha rf
05-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I'd like to make one.

bambi
05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
I love those head hugger patterns!

B

evona
05-14-2008, 10:15 AM
I was looking at those head hugger patterns last night when we were first discussing this project. Those look pretty good! :)

bethany
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
oh man, seriously? The chemo cap? You know the bad luck I had with making that. hahaha!!!! How else can I help?

gmmarton
05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Auburnchick...
My experience has been that you want to use the softest yarn possible, and making a hat without a seam is even more ideal. Knitting in the round lends itself nicely to this kind of project...just a thought. Gail

Cynamar
05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
We need to know if she has any fiber allergies.

evona
05-14-2008, 02:27 PM
We need to know if she has any fiber allergies.

Good point! :thumbsup:

rennfamily
05-14-2008, 02:32 PM
I would love to knit a hat up. Please let me know the details.

auburnchick
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi all!

Sorry for the delay in responding to the posts. I've had a very hectic day at work.

I will contact Mason and find out about any allergies.

Meanwhile, should we give ourselves a month? Is that too long? I know that many of us have children who are finishing up the last few weeks of school, so the activity level has probably picked up a bit.

Thanks for the links to the patterns! Y'all rock!

I'll check back as soon as I hear from Mason.

:muah:

auburnchick
05-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi all!

I just heard back from Mason, and he's very appreciative that we are doing this for his mom.

He said that she is not allergic to any fiber. I think that what we should do is send the hats to me, and I'll send them to her in one or two packages.

If you want to include any kind of card or note, please feel free to do so. I'll send whatever you include.

I'm still doing some research about patterns and yarns. I'll get back to you shortly.

auburnchick
05-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Here's something I found on headhuggers.org (http://www.headhuggers.org/guidelines.htm):

Softer yarns (such as cotton) are more comfortable.
Lion Brand MICRO-SPUN yarn is a very soft yarn (and is 100% Acrylic and Machine Washable & Dryable).
The new fun fur yarns are fun, soft and lightweight
Thinner, seamless, non-lumpy caps are good for sleeping and increased comfort.
Hats made with thinner yarn would be better for summer weather use.
Cotton is great for summer hats and warmer climates as it is cooler than most other types of yarn.
Most of our (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/patterns.htm) hat patterns work well with thinner, cotton yarns as well as with worsted weight yarns.

bambi
05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for finding out the info. I'm going to make a trip for yarn later this week and will start by next week. Now if I can just figure out circular knitting, I'll be all set!

:cool:

Bambi

auburnchick
05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks for finding out the info. I'm going to make a trip for yarn later this week and will start by next week. Now if I can just figure out circular knitting, I'll be all set!

:cool:

Bambi

There are some good videos here. Let us know if you have any questions!

bethany
05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
look what I found....
http://www.fabulousyarn.com/fabyarnpage_geisha.htm

auburnchick
05-15-2008, 12:17 PM
That's some cute stuff! She'll have the coolest hats!

Doublereeder2
05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Might want to find out what size Mason's Mom's head is - I was knitting adult medium caps for a friend who wound up needing a much smaller size and wound up redoing them.
In my research, I found that very soft yarn with no wool is recommended. Something like Chinchilla or a cotton chenille. They need to be washable, too.

KnittinMitchie
05-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Hobby lobby sells Sweet Bee Sweet Delight Baby. This is a VERY soft acrylic yarn. I have some left over from a sweater project. I figured this would work since its a baby yarn and found it with the other baby yarns.

The hat I'm working on in one of my own designs and has some yarn overs to give it a little bit of laciness.

auburnchick
05-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Might want to find out what size Mason's Mom's head is - I was knitting adult medium caps for a friend who wound up needing a much smaller size and wound up redoing them.
In my research, I found that very soft yarn with no wool is recommended. Something like Chinchilla or a cotton chenille. They need to be washable, too.

I asked Mason about this, and here was his response:

I'd say medium. The last hat I made for her, my skull cap design, was 80 cast on worsted weight stitches on size 8 needles and it fit perfectly.

evona
05-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I asked Mason about this, and here was his response:

I'd say medium. The last hat I made for her, my skull cap design, was 80 cast on worsted weight stitches on size 8 needles and it fit perfectly.

Awesome :thumbsup:

auburnchick
05-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey folks...if someone isn't comfortable making a hat, I thought that maybe they could make some sort of spa cloth of something...maybe something to put an ice or heat pack on for nausea?

I wouldn't want anyone to feel left out...if they wanted to help but don't like or can't make hats.

Whatcha think?

Oh, and I'm thinking that we should aim for June 30th...to get the items to me. Then I'll photograph everything and put the package together.

Thoughts? Too soon?

evona
05-16-2008, 12:42 AM
I think I can get at least 1 hat done by June 30th. I am going back to school and starting on June 16th, but there's a good month to get something done before I start school.

Ladylou
05-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Hey Ya'll!:grphug:

I'd completely love to help. Theres this really fantastic chemo cap pattern that i found (will post the link later, my computer is having issues:aww: ) that I have been looking for the perfect cause to knit for:cheering: The only problem is that the only fiber that I have right now that might be suitable is %100 cotton and the caron simply soft acrylic. Would these work?:happydance:

Thank you sooo much auburnchick for setting this up!! What a great projectcloud9

Love,
Lexie

auburnchick
05-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi Lexie! I think that the Simply Soft would be PERFECT! That yarn is simply luscious...a very nice acrylic. Plus, it's machine washable. The last thing a chemo patient needs to worry about is washing instructions.

Thanks for coming on board!

I am thrilled that we've got more people joining up.

When y'all are ready for my address, I will PM it to you, individually.

Oh, and his mom's name is Jean, in case you want to send along a card.

This is a wonderful group of people! We truly are making a difference in the world, one project at a time. I count myself blessed to be among you.

:grphug:

Ladylou
05-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Yay! Oh im so happy to hear that because i have a ton of really fun colorscloud9 Here is that link I promised for the pattern:

http://coloradoknits.angelfire.com/KnittedCottonChemoCaps.pdf

It says that its made to have a flattering fullness around the face, which I thought was really neat:heart: Please use this pattern if you take a fancy to it! I'm probably going to make one in a rich purple color or in white. I doubt she'd like to have a few of the exact same hat:teehee: If you want to use these colors as well just let know and I'm sure i can figure something out:knitting:

Thanks again so much to auburnchick for setting this up!!

Love,
Lexie:muah:

auburnchick
05-16-2008, 04:43 PM
What a cute pattern! Thanks for the link! :muah:

auburnchick
05-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok...you've probably noticed that I've renamed this thread.

I think that everyone here at KH adores Mason and would love to do something nice for his mom; however, some people either don't know how to knit hats or are worried about making one for someone else.

So, if you want to knit something to include in the care package that I'll be sending to her, please feel free to do so. I was thinking that spa cloths...or regular washcloths...tube socks (so much for not getting fancy), or other things...

Anything that conveys your well-wishes for her.

Knitting_Guy
05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
I have to say that I am very touched by the responses here, and I know she'll be very touched to know that you all care. Thank you all.

auburnchick
05-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for letting us do this for you and her. We adore you and hate to see someone we care about go through a difficult time. It's the least we can do.

auburnchick
05-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Ok all...someone asked me what sock size Ms. Jean (Mason's mom) wears.

She wears a women's 7 1/2. If you choose to make her socks (tube socks are always a safe bet), allow a little extra room. She sometimes suffers from feet and ankle swelling.

willowangel
05-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Any particular colours she does or doesn't like? I'd love to send some things from over here in Scotland but am always unsure of what colours people are comfortable wearing!

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I want to make a hat.

Things are a bit busy right now- but, if you PM me your mailing address- I'll send it when I can get to it.

Right now I am:
Packing/sorting for an International move
Going on vacation (for a week) in 6 days for 8 days!
(yeah for vacations- but, it also means that I have to get
get everything finished before I go on vacation) because...
THE MOVERS come to pick everything up 2 days after I return from vacation...

AND, let's not mention that I'll have to figure out where the time is going to come from to have a few hours to make SUB PLANS for 3 days?
ALL of this is while still teaching school...(and since I'm moving- I'll have to do all the things at school to 'clear'/etc.) errands, things to do for the move, buying things from Korea before I move, etc.. , etc... the list gets longer instead of SHORTER... sigh! WHICH is why I also haven't been here much at all... no time!
School is over June 13
I fly to the states on June 15... which is probably when I'll make the hats... while on the plane.. the 26 hour flight... that seems to last 'forever and a day'....

AND, I have an injured (same injury from last fall- just getting worse) left thumb-- so, I will knit a hat for Mason's Mom and a hat for another promise that I made... because I don't see the hand surgeon until: June 23! (I want to knit the hats 'before' I'm told that I'm not allowed to knit for a few months!) You know.. ignorance can be good... :roflhard:
Let's just put it this way... arrrghh...
I AM a little STRESSED!!!
And can't even knit- because, I don't have TIME!!

AND, I have some soft angora from Italy... would that be too warm do you think?

auburnchick
05-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I think that the Angora will be lovely. I've heard that heads can get chilly, so feel free to make the hat out of that. I have no idea how long she'll be going through the therapy...my friend is starting next month and will continue until November. It could possibly be that long, so the warm hat will be wonderful.

I'll send you my address.

Thanks a bunch!

Dangles
05-16-2008, 07:32 PM
oh oh I"d love to do something for Mason's mom :)

at this rate we can also do squares for a lapghan? Whaddya all think?

:hug: Mason.
:hug: Nathalie for organising this.

lelvsdgs
05-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I would love to participate in this!! I'll be busy next week moving the kiddo but I'll get on this as soon as that's done. I was also thinking maybe a small shall or wrap for her shoulders in case she gets chilly, something light that wouldn't be too heavy.
This is so thoughtful! And what a wonderful opportunity for all of us to share with Mason and his mom...thanks for doing this!:muah:

evona
05-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I have to say that I am very touched by the responses here, and I know she'll be very touched to know that you all care. Thank you all.

We love you Mason! :hug: :heart:

KnittinMitchie
05-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I've decided on a color and yarn. Stash busting here since I had some left over baby soft yarn from a sweater project. I'm going with my rolled brim crochet hat and a garter stitch scarf with fun fur fringe and edging on both. Fun Fur just makes it well FUN!

mks22300
05-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I'd love to make something too, it's getting into my busy time at school, but I think I'll have time to make something.

Mariblue
05-16-2008, 09:42 PM
I'd love to make a hat. :hug:

auburnchick
05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
oh oh I"d love to do something for Mason's mom :)

at this rate we can also do squares for a lapghan? Whaddya all think?

I'm up for anything, but I will say that I am not very good at seaming.

You know...I made the comfort throw for my friend, and by doubling the yarn and using large needles, I was able to complete it (even with cables) in a week. I think I only cast on 90-something stitches for it.

Knitting_Guy
05-17-2008, 08:52 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that last night I told Mom about this as she'll need to be watching for the package (and she needed some cheering up). She was so touched that she teared up.

Thanks again everyone.

Ronda
05-17-2008, 09:05 AM
I haven't read through all these replies yet, but I'd like to help. A cap is doable for me!

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 10:08 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that last night I told Mom about this as she'll need to be watching for the package (and she needed some cheering up). She was so touched that she teared up.

Thanks again everyone.

I'm so glad that it made her feel good. THAT is the entire purpose of it!! :hug:

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I thought of another idea for Ms. Jean. How about gloves? I think it was Beth who told me about someone she knew (knows) who is going through chemo and had a really hard time with her hands being cold...getting stuff like ice out of the fridge.

I have a pattern I love for fingerless gloves, but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate if her fingers were cold too.

Anyhow...just my musings this Saturday morning.

Cynamar
05-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Socks and slippers would be good, too. I know that when I'm cold or hot the first thing I do is put on or take off my socks.

cindycactus
05-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I would love to knit something for Mason's Mom. Thanks Auburnchick for getting this started. Count me in. :knitting:

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh, it's my pleasure!

As you near the time when you are finishing your projects, send me a PM, and I'll send you my mailing address.

Rabbitrescuer
05-17-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm in for some spa cloths

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 01:33 PM
I've got more information for you...

Ms. Jean's favorite color is red, but she also likes pastels and earth colors.

So, for those of who have asked or wondered...

Of course, don't feel limited by these color choices. Do what's on your heart with whatever color you want. :wink:

jdee
05-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I'd like to help. I have have some odd skeins of KP shine sport. They're very soft, and should make a comfy hat.

Sewing Angel
05-17-2008, 03:06 PM
This is such a great idea Nathalie! Since there are going to be a lot of knitted items, is it ok if I send something else? I make heat packs (you can also freeze them if you need cool). I have tons of fabric and should be able to find something that she would like.
Angel

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 04:31 PM
This is such a great idea Nathalie! Since there are going to be a lot of knitted items, is it ok if I send something else? I make heat packs (you can also freeze them if you need cool). I have tons of fabric and should be able to find something that she would like.
Angel

Oh yes, Angel! That's great!!!

I am not going to dictate what anyone should make. That's why I changed this project from a hat project to an "anything" project. We all have favorite things that we knit...or things that are easier for us.

Make sure you include information about how to use the packs...maybe put it in a card for her.

Wonderful! Y'all are so terrific! I am humbled to know such generous, thoughtful people.

Spikey
05-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for expanding the options, Nathalie. I am happy to make some pretty washcloths.

Cynamar
05-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Do you think Wool Ease is okay for caps or will it be scratchy?

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 06:10 PM
I read on the head huggers website that wool is fine to use for the hats.

When you send your items, please include washing instructions. It would be sad if some of our items got felted when they weren't supposed to.

New information...

I had been asked if Ms. Jean has any favorite scents. Mason thinks she might have some lavender stuff in her bathroom, but he wasn't sure.

Let's try to stay away from soaps that might have strong aromas. I think that chemotherapy throws your body off-whack...making some sensitive to strong smells. If you want to include soaps with spa cloths, go for faint scents...maybe something natural. I remember seeing Burt's Bees stuff at my Target. That's one brand that is organic and hypoallergenic. Just an example...not a "must."

Let's see...what else. I had also been asked if she had any particular interests, weaknesses (say, for example, chocolate), or things she doesn't like.

Mason said that she is diabetic (probably why her ankles and feet sometimes swell). Please keep this in mind when sending goodies that might accompany your items.

Her interests:

Ms. Jean enjoys reading mystery novels, and she crochets! She'll definitely appreciate all of the things we've got planned!

I hope this helps you even more!

Cynamar
05-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Mystery novels? A gal after my own heart! What kinds does she like best? Any favorite authors?

Pat in Ca
05-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Great idea,, thanks for thinking of this auburnchick..I am trying to decide what I can do.. I have done chemo hats for a friend before, she said she wore them, but her sister said that the chemo makes you really hot, so I always wondered if she was just being nice saying she wore them.. is there anyone out there that has been thru chemo (in the spring/summer weather) that could let us know what would be the most practical thing? Does she live in a warm climate? thx.. I'll figure something out..

jdee
05-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I have a question. I've never knitted chemo caps before. Can any pattern be used, or just the ones that specify that they are for chemo patients?

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Great idea,, thanks for thinking of this auburnchick..I am trying to decide what I can do.. I have done chemo hats for a friend before, she said she wore them, but her sister said that the chemo makes you really hot, so I always wondered if she was just being nice saying she wore them.. is there anyone out there that has been thru chemo (in the spring/summer weather) that could let us know what would be the most practical thing? Does she live in a warm climate? thx.. I'll figure something out..

How very interesting. I've always heard that it makes you cold. If you lose your hair, heat escapes more easily.

She does live in Florida, so maybe a good compromise would be a lighter yarn...maybe even sock yarn?

The thing about the hats, though, is that they provide coverage not only for in the house but also for outings.

As far as mystery novels and authors, I have no idea. :??

I hate to keep peppering Mason with questions. :teehee:

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 07:21 PM
I have a question. I've never knitted chemo caps before. Can any pattern be used, or just the ones that specify that they are for chemo patients?

Oh, I think that any pattern will do. I don't see where they would be that different from each other.

lestrella
05-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I would love to help as well. So, count me in.

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 11:21 PM
I would love to help as well. So, count me in.

:cheering:

Thanks for joining us! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ladylou
05-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey Ya'll!:heart:

Alrighty... I completely completely botched the hat I was making for Masons mom:frog: I spent like three hours trying to fix it and i just am not experienced enough to fix that much of a mess-up:teehee: I'll definetely try again (tomorrow or the next day when i can bear to stare at that pattern again:teehee: ) however in case I have a knitting block and cant turn out a hat....

I really loved the idea for a lap-afghan. Squares would be perfect and Ms. Nathalie... if you dont want to seam I would be happy to! (Maybe Caron Simply Soft could be used since its so soft and not expensive?) I compeltely understand if we dont want to do this as a group and this is just an idea. I just thought i'd mention it in case:woohoo:

Love,

auburnchick
05-17-2008, 11:59 PM

Alrighty... I completely completely botched the hat I was making for Masons mom:frog: I spent like three hours trying to fix it and i just am not experienced enough to fix that much of a mess-up:teehee: I'll definetely try again (tomorrow or the next day when i can bear to stare at that pattern again:teehee: ) however in case I have a knitting block and cant turn out a hat....

I really loved the idea for a lap-afghan. Squares would be perfect and Ms. Nathalie... if you dont want to seam I would be happy to! (Maybe Caron Simply Soft could be used since its so soft and not expensive?) I compeltely understand if we dont want to do this as a group and this is just an idea. I just thought i'd mention it in case:woohoo:

Love,

Thanks Lexie!!!

Don't worry about the hat. If you want to do something easier, like a face cloth, then you might not get so frustrated. Hats can be intimidating...even for me!

Now, as far as the lapghan...Anyone want to do this? We would need to decide the size of the squares and how many. Since it would be a lapghan, then it would be smaller and would take less time and require fewer squares. We would want to use acrylic, to make it machine washable. We could send it separately from everything else, if need be. Or, if you wanted to make a square along with something else, you could send it with your other item.

We would also need to know that each square is spoken for by a specific knitter...just to keep the project rolling.

What does everyone think?

Ladylou
05-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Hey Everyone!:heart:

If we do decide to do it, you can count me in for one square (of whatever size we choose) and for seaming. I'm sure I could fill in a few extra squares if need be as well:grphug:

Please just let me know whatever kind of help you need!:yay: You're right Ms. Nathalie... I might wait till i have more experience before attempting that hat again... i'm sure i could find a project thats a bit easier and will turn out just as nicecloud9

Love,

Pat in Ca
05-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Count me in for a square... just tell me what to do... I love simply soft caron...someone said she liked red....I have never done this , how do you coordinate colors??

Dangles
05-18-2008, 02:53 AM
how about 8 * 8 squares?

DianaM
05-18-2008, 03:17 AM
Count me in for a couple of squares!

Cynamar
05-18-2008, 08:13 AM
I think a lapghan is a wonderful idea. I will make a square!

lestrella
05-18-2008, 09:21 AM
The lapghan is a great idea! I can contribute to that as well. So, just let me know the details.

Knitting_Guy
05-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Once again I want to express my gratitude to you all.

And as for additional input:

She likes all sorts of mystery novels.

She's also fond of inspirational Christian books, but she has so many odds are it might be a duplicate.

The last time she went through chemo I know she was cold all the time despite living in FL.

Hope that helps.

Knit4Fun
05-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm happy to help with a square or a hat or a spa cloth as well...if there's a specific need or preference, let me know...otherwise, I'll pick something and get started!

I also have quite a few mysteries and inspirational Christian books that I am happy to send down to your Mom, Mason. If you are concerned about duplicates, I can PM you titles and authors...otherwise, we can make it a surprise box!

Mason - does she like to listen to audio CDs? I've got some Joyce Meyer (inspirational Christian) CDs and maybe I can find one or two that might lift her spirits and make her laugh...just a thought...

Cynamar
05-18-2008, 09:43 AM
I will get one of my Grandad's devotional books while I'm at my Nanie's today. She might like that.

auburnchick
05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Wow! I checked this thread last night before I went to bed, and I just can't believe the # of responses since then! Y'all are terrific!

This is how much of a dummy I am...I got out a piece of paper and measured 8 x 8. Then, I held it up to me to envision the lapghan. :teehee:

What I'm thinking is that maybe we could go three squares across and then work downward. So, doing that, we should have a minimum of 9 squares to make it big enough. 12 would be nice, but 9 would probably work out okay. I'm concerned that with seaming, the blanket might draw up a bit and not wind up as large.

Here's a list of who has expressed interest in making squares thus far (and the number they mentioned):

Dangles
Ladylou
Pat in Ca
Dianna (2)
Cynamar
lestrella
Knit4Fun

So far, that's 8...well on our way.

We can always make the blanket longer than the 12 squares, if need be. We could always expand it's width too, to accommodate more knitters. I just don't want this to seem overwhelming.

As far as colors...hmmm...I have no idea what to say about that. Do you guys want to go ahead and commit, or do we just want to fly by the seat of our pants?

Don't forget...the yarn needs to be ACRYLIC so that the blanket can be machine washable. We don't want Ms. Jean to have to hand-wash anything or wind up felting something. :teehee:

Oh, and I'm planning on making her a hat, but I can always pinch-hit and do a square too. I have plenty of yarn.

Thoughts?

More volunteers for squares?

Anyone want to volunteer to do the border, or do you think we'll need one?

Cynamar
05-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I have a lot of Wool Ease but I can make acrylic. No problem. I can also make at least two squares. I'm going to try a chemo cap but I haven't made a hat yet so no promises.

evona
05-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I am working on a washcloth for her right now, but I can do an 8 x 8 square too. :)

Knitting_Guy
05-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Mason - does she like to listen to audio CDs? I've got some Joyce Meyer (inspirational Christian) CDs and maybe I can find one or two that might lift her spirits and make her laugh...just a thought...

Honestly, no, She really doesn't listen to CDs much. She prefers to read.

cindycactus
05-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I would be happy to do a square. By the way I have never pm'ed anyone. How do I do that?:knitting:

DianaM
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
I would be happy to do a square. By the way I have never pm'ed anyone. How do I do that?:knitting:

Click on the person's name just above their avatar. A small menu will appear, the second item says "send a private message".
Just click on that, type in your message and hit submit/send.

Knit4Fun
05-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Are we doing straight garter stitch squares or whatever type we want?

I've got plenty of acrylic yarn to do a square, no problem. I can look to see if I have enough to do two...

I think it would be fun to let everyone use whatever color they have/want...but maybe not 'hot' or neon colors (like bright pink or neon yellow or orange or green) since that wouldn't be very soothing. Just my two cents. Also, do we want plain single colors or multi-color/patterned yarns? It might look better to only have solid colors, don't you think? Just thinking out loud here...

jdee
05-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I could do a square. I have lots of Caron SS in my stash, but I think it might all be baby colors. I'll have to look. Are the squares going to be all different stitch patterns? And how do I make my square the right size?
I'm sorry for so many questions, but this is the first time I've ever done anything like this. I started my hat last night, and it's coming along well. I couldn't get the shine sport to work right, so I using a left over skein of Bernat satin. Now that I see Mason's post about his mom being cold natured, I'm glad I switched to the thicker yarn.

auburnchick
05-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Are we doing straight garter stitch squares or whatever type we want?

I've got plenty of acrylic yarn to do a square, no problem. I can look to see if I have enough to do two...

I think it would be fun to let everyone use whatever color they have/want...but maybe not 'hot' or neon colors (like bright pink or neon yellow or orange or green) since that wouldn't be very soothing. Just my two cents. Also, do we want plain single colors or multi-color/patterned yarns? It might look better to only have solid colors, don't you think? Just thinking out loud here...

Let's do whatever pattern we want. That will make it more fun. Mason indicated that her favorite color is red, but she also likes pastels and earth tones. We should probably stick to one kind...say pastels or earth tones. It would be an "interesting" blanket if we got all three. :teehee:

I vote for the pastel colors. They are bright and cheery. But, whatever y'all want is fine. I wouldn't think that it would matter if we use solid, variegated, or striping yarn for the squares. It would make it interesting.

Also, I found this information on this (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cancercaps.html) site (wonderful patterns here too):

A few helpful guideines for making caps

1) Softer yarns: cotton, baby yarn, soft worsted like 'Caron Simply Soft' or 'Lion Brand Pound of Love' are more comfortable to wear, and cotton is really nice for summer.
2) Thinner, seamless (crochet or knit in the round), non-lumpy caps for sleeping/increased comfort on the recipients heads.
3) Please use yarns without WOOL content.
4) Please wash and machine dry hats before sending, as this will often soften them.
5) Do not use scented fabric softeners as many people are allergic to them.
6) From Breast cancer survivor, Barbara B.: "I DO want to pass on my personal feeling, relative to cancer caps, that when I was bald, I wore hats and caps to cover that up. So speaking only for me, I preferred solid caps and hats. A shell stitch or a V-stitch or a granny-square cap would show the baldness through the spaces."

KnittinMitchie
05-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I've gotta crochet cap going and hope to do a scarf to match. Auburn I hope to have them done this week and will get them off to you along with the yarn I've got for you.

auburnchick
05-18-2008, 01:47 PM

Ladylou
05-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Hey Everyone!:muah:

Oh wow, this is really lovely.cloud9 Am I still doing the seaming?:heart:

You can definetely count me in for two squares, and if we're short for another row of three I could probably squeeze another in:teehee: I have a very beautiful red color in acrylic, but its not very soft even when knitted up. As far as Caron SS, I have a lime green, a soft green, a bright purple, a soft yellow, and a soft purple. I could always go out and buy some as well if this isnt satisfactory. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which would go best with the blanket?:woohoo:

Its soooo lovely to see all ya'll so excited about this project!!:knitting:

Love,

Pat in Ca
05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
I checked my Caron simply soft... I have a medium blue that would go with the colors you mentioned.. I think I will start a square with that.. if it goes fast.. I can start another one.. I have a dark blue.. a pink.. a bone..so I will just go with an 8x8 square.. on 8 needles.. what would be easiest to seam??? let me know the stitch you want on the border so it will be uniform.. maybe someone else has some experience at this?? I want to make it easy on the gal who has offered to seam..maybe garter on the edges??..

auburnchick
05-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I checked my Caron simply soft... I have a medium blue that would go with the colors you mentioned.. I think I will start a square with that.. if it goes fast.. I can start another one.. I have a dark blue.. a pink.. a bone..so I will just go with an 8x8 square.. on 8 needles.. what would be easiest to seam??? let me know the stitch you want on the border so it will be uniform.. maybe someone else has some experience at this?? I want to make it easy on the gal who has offered to seam..maybe garter on the edges??..

Good idea, Pat. If we do a garter border, then the pattern won't get skewed when we seam. Let's try to do a minimum of three garter stitches on each side and maybe three garter rows at the top and bottom. That's knit on both sides, if anyone's not sure.

Hey Everyone!:muah:

Oh wow, this is really lovely.cloud9 Am I still doing the seaming?:heart:

You can definetely count me in for two squares, and if we're short for another row of three I could probably squeeze another in:teehee: I have a very beautiful red color in acrylic, but its not very soft even when knitted up. As far as Caron SS, I have a lime green, a soft green, a bright purple, a soft yellow, and a soft purple. I could always go out and buy some as well if this isnt satisfactory. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which would go best with

Lexie, I'm fine with you doing the seaming. That would be very helpful!

Can anyone do the border for us? Or, since the blocks would have garter edges, do we even need a separate border?

Debkcs
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I may have missed it somewhere, but if I'm going to do a cap for her, soft wool or acrylic?

Cynamar
05-18-2008, 08:06 PM
So, let me make sure I have it straight--8x8-inch squares of acrylic? Pastels?

auburnchick
05-18-2008, 08:16 PM
I may have missed it somewhere, but if I'm going to do a cap for her, soft wool or acrylic?

You can do whatever you want with the caps. I suggested machine washable, but I could foresee soft wool too...I have merino that would feel lovely on the head. Just be careful with the wool...see if you can find wool is a blend so it won't felt when washed.

So, let me make sure I have it straight--8x8-inch squares of acrylic? Pastels?

:thumbsup:

auburnchick
05-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Here's an updated list of volunteers for the squares:

Dangles
Ladylou (2)
Pat in Ca
Dianna (2)
Cynamar (2)
lestrella
Knit4Fun (2)
Evona
cindycactus
jdee

That's 14 so far!!! :yay:

thehatlady
05-18-2008, 09:20 PM
from experience hats need to be very soft. you would be surprised how much protection your hair actually is. sunburn during and after hair loss would not be good - hats protect bare skin. hot or not very few women would opt to be seen in public bald or partially bald. heavier yarns for cold winter areas, lighter weight yarns for spring or summer work well..You can wear straw hats if there is a softsweat band on the inside which will keep the straw just slightly away from tender skin. Cotton hats are cooler than yarn hats when temps get way up. make hats for myself and hospitals that give chemo/radiation treatments.

Knit4Fun
05-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Okay, so 8x8 squares in pastels with a garter stitch border it is!

Does it matter how wide the border is in garter or is the point just so they lie flat and have a border? I was thinking 4 stitches on each side in garter...will probably use size 7 or 8 needles...

auburnchick
05-18-2008, 10:10 PM
You've got it, Kris! :thumbsup:

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-18-2008, 10:12 PM
I can make a square... I'll check to see what colors in acrylic yarns that I have........

Jeannie

jdee
05-18-2008, 10:32 PM
If we're doing pastels, I have a mint green color and a pale purple that are both lovely. Maybe I'll do stripes? I don't know yet.
I just finished a hat today, using Bernat satin. I went with this pattern http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt20.htm , but I joined it in the round, so there wouldn't be a seam.

Ladylou
05-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey everyone!cloud9

The garter stitch border sounds great. Since I get to seam, please just pm me for my address:woot: (and please give me yours so I know where its coming from.:grphug: )

I'm really terrible at borders so I'm afraid I would wreck everyone's hard work:teehee: I'm just throwing this out there... but I could post a pic and we could all decide?

Love,

Pat in Ca
05-19-2008, 12:29 AM
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches.htm

This is a link to some stitch patterns to try something new ..
I am casting on 36 stitches on an size 8 needle (I am a loose knitter)(Simply Soft Caron ) Someone said to cut out an 8x8 piece of paper to use as a template.. easier than measuring..

Pat in Ca
05-19-2008, 12:33 AM
If you use a stitch pattern remember to factor in the garter stitch border..I am just doing plain garter for my first one.. I'll try something different with the next one.. also stripes would be interesting...

DianaM
05-19-2008, 12:58 AM
I have a skein of white CSS, would that work?

auburnchick
05-19-2008, 08:17 AM
If we're doing pastels, I have a mint green color and a pale purple that are both lovely. Maybe I'll do stripes? I don't know yet.
I just finished a hat today, using Bernat satin. I went with this pattern http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt20.htm , but I joined it in the round, so there wouldn't be a seam.

Lovely pattern!!!

I have a skein of white CSS, would that work?

Oh yes! I think that would be so pretty!!!!

Thanks, all! We're up to 16 squares spoken for! Y'all are terrific!

Lexie, we can get someone else to do the border, if need be. I think we should seam it first. We very well might not need one with the garter border being done on all of the squares. I'll bet I could get one of the gals in the baby blanket projects to crochet one for us.

Let's just see how it looks when it's seamed. One thing at a time.

Knit4Fun
05-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Sweet! This is shaping up nicely (pardon the pun)... :cheering:

When are the squares 'due'? :-)

auburnchick
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Sweet! This is shaping up nicely (pardon the pun)... :cheering:

When are the squares 'due'? :-)

We can make it June 30th, just like the other stuff. I know that everyone has a lot going on with end-of-the-year activities at school and such.

Ladylou
05-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Hey all you generous charity knitters!cloud9

Thanks so much for your advice on sizing... i'll definetely do that! Thank you Ms. Nathalie for all your help organizing this and your idea to help out Masons mom:woohoo:

If anyone has a square they want to send out, please just pm me for my address:) (I realize that it'll take a while though;) )

Love,

gmmarton
05-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Auburnchick,

Thanks for organizing this...

Sorry I haven't respond sooner - school is busier than ever, and we still have 20 days to go! :woot: I'd like to help with the lapghan for Mason's mother, so feel free to put me down for a few squares. I'll check my stash tonight!

Catch you later...Gail

Wow! I checked this thread last night before I went to bed, and I just can't believe the # of responses since then! Y'all are terrific!

This is how much of a dummy I am...I got out a piece of paper and measured 8 x 8. Then, I held it up to me to envision the lapghan. :teehee:

What I'm thinking is that maybe we could go three squares across and then work downward. So, doing that, we should have a minimum of 9 squares to make it big enough. 12 would be nice, but 9 would probably work out okay. I'm concerned that with seaming, the blanket might draw up a bit and not wind up as large.

Here's a list of who has expressed interest in making squares thus far (and the number they mentioned):

Dangles
Ladylou
Pat in Ca
Dianna (2)
Cynamar
lestrella
Knit4Fun

So far, that's 8...well on our way.

We can always make the blanket longer than the 12 squares, if need be. We could always expand it's width too, to accommodate more knitters. I just don't want this to seem overwhelming.

As far as colors...hmmm...I have no idea what to say about that. Do you guys want to go ahead and commit, or do we just want to fly by the seat of our pants?

Don't forget...the yarn needs to be ACRYLIC so that the blanket can be machine washable. We don't want Ms. Jean to have to hand-wash anything or wind up felting something. :teehee:

Oh, and I'm planning on making her a hat, but I can always pinch-hit and do a square too. I have plenty of yarn.

Thoughts?

More volunteers for squares?

Anyone want to volunteer to do the border, or do you think we'll need one?

Knit4Fun
05-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Okey dokey...by June 30 it is!

SabrinaJL
05-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Squares still needed? I could totally do squares.

Ladylou
05-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey everyone!:D

You wouldnt beleive it but I got pms from not one, but two (!!) generous knitters asking me for my address for squares already. Wow, thank you so much to Ms. Nathalie organizing all of this. I just cast on my first square!:woohoo:

Love,

Xyza
05-20-2008, 01:18 AM
I have two squares completed for the lapghan. I know there have been lots of volunteers and I don't believe it will be a problem but if you find that you're short a few squares I could easily make a few more. They knit up a lot faster than I imagined they would.

Ronda
05-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Also, I found this information on this (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cancercaps.html) site (wonderful patterns here too):

A few helpful guideines for making caps

1) Softer yarns: cotton, baby yarn, soft worsted like 'Caron Simply Soft' or 'Lion Brand Pound of Love' are more comfortable to wear, and cotton is really nice for summer.

2) Thinner, seamless (crochet or knit in the round), non-lumpy caps for sleeping/increased comfort on the recipients heads.
3) Please use yarns without WOOL content.
4) Please wash and machine dry hats before sending, as this will often soften them.
5) Do not use scented fabric softeners as many people are allergic to them.

6) From Breast cancer survivor, Barbara B.: "I DO want to pass on my personal feeling, relative to cancer caps, that when I was bald, I wore hats and caps to cover that up. So speaking only for me, I preferred solid caps and hats. A shell stitch or a V-stitch or a granny-square cap would show the baldness through the spaces."

Nuts. I started my hat. It's wool (it felt soft!) and it's a little lacy! I should have read this first!

auburnchick
05-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Nuts. I started my hat. It's wool (it felt soft!) and it's a little lacy! I should have read this first!

Ronda, don't worry about it. Just include care instructions. The wool will be soft and warm. She'll appreciate just having it! :hug:

auburnchick
05-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Well, our list of square knitters (:roflhard:) has grown!!

Here's what I have so far:

Dangles
Ladylou
Pat in Ca (2)
Dianna (2)
Cynamar (2)
lestrella
Knit4Fun (2)
Evona
cindycactus
jdee
iwouldratherbeknitting
gmmarton (several?)
sabrinajl
xyza (2)

Wow! I hope Ms. Jean has a big lap! She might be able to use this on a bed!!!

Y'all are some generous knitters!

Knitting_Guy
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM

I think they state no wool due to a lot of people being allergic. Mom isn't so no problem there.

Knitting_Guy
05-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I just want to say that I can't help but be touched by everyone's loving generosity every time I read this thread. Thank you all so much, knitters and crocheters really are the greatest of people.

KnittinMitchie
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
I just want to say that I can't help but be touched by everyone's loving generosity every time I read this thread. Thank you all so much, knitters and crocheters really are the greatest of people.

Anything to help brighten her day and help her get through her rough patch.

Ronda
05-20-2008, 02:09 PM
If you guys don't think my wool will be a problem then, I'll keep going. I'm liking the way it looks so far. I hope to have enough time to do 2...and my second one will follow the suggestions better! ;-)

auburnchick
05-20-2008, 03:07 PM
If you guys don't think my wool will be a problem then, I'll keep going. I'm liking the way it looks so far. I hope to have enough time to do 2...and my second one will follow the suggestions better! ;-)

I agree with you...keep going. It does get cold in Florida, and I know she will be able to use it. In fact, I'll bet that she uses it this summer since Mason said that she was cold most of the time when she went through her first round of chemo.

Thanks for your generosity, as well as that of everyone else's! Everyone is so fantastic! I've been touched just watching the amount of enthusiasm that is being generated. Y'all ROCK!!!

Oh, and BTW, Mason sent me an update on the scents that she likes. Lavendar and lilac are the way to go. She doesn't care for the smell of roses.

Rabbitrescuer
05-20-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm almost done with my first spa cloth & have got a few bath & body works items to go with them. My little one decided he would like to help so he is making her one too. He told me HE got to make the red one :) And both my kiddos have made some get well cards for her.

jdee
05-20-2008, 04:58 PM
My second hat is taking a bit longer, since it's a sport weight yarn. I figured I'd do a worsted, and a sport, and that way, she can decide which is more comfy for her. After I finish, I plan to start on my square. Those of you who have already made one, could you tell me how to figure out the amount of stitches to cast on? I've never done this type of project before.

auburnchick
05-20-2008, 05:26 PM
My second hat is taking a bit longer, since it's a sport weight yarn. I figured I'd do a worsted, and a sport, and that way, she can decide which is more comfy for her. After I finish, I plan to start on my square. Those of you who have already made one, could you tell me how to figure out the amount of stitches to cast on? I've never done this type of project before.

There are a couple of ways you can do this. First off, if you pretty much get the gauge that a yarn label recommends, you can simply look at the label and adjust accordingly. For instance, if you know you are getting five stitches per inch, cast on 40 stitches (# of stitches multiplied by the number of inches across that you want to go).

If you're not sure how many stitches per inch you're gonna get with a yarn, do a small swatch to double-check, although I don't think you have to be so precise with these squares.

The good thing is that with seaming, we can afford to fudge a bit on the square size.

auburnchick
05-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Those of you who have already made one, could you tell me how to figure out the amount of stitches to cast on? I've never done this type of project before.

Here's some information that gmmarton sent me...I thought others might find it handy.

I'm making squares using a worsted weight yarn on size 8 straight needles. I've cast on 38 stitches and am using a pattern posted on another page by Shandeh (Sandy) called "Sandy's Seed Blocks." Basically you knit the first four rows to create a nice border. When you start your pattern, you will begin and end each row with 4 Knit stitches, thereby creating a nice border or edge. The pattern is easy to follow. At 7 1/2 inches, I usually Knit another 3 - 4 rows and bind off on the right side, coming out around 8" long.

evona
05-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Boy that was fast!!! :) I'm still working on my washcloth after frogging it 3 times over the weekend :rofl: I just didn't like the way it was coming out. I'm happier now :) I am almost done with it and will start on my block at the end of the week. My DS and I have a volunteer trip this long weekend so don't expect my PM until at least the middle of next week Ladylou :rofl:

Hey everyone!:D

You wouldnt beleive it but I got pms from not one, but two (!!) generous knitters asking me for my address for squares already. Wow, thank you so much to Ms. Nathalie organizing all of this. I just cast on my first square!:woohoo:

Love,

lactosefree
05-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm on board to make a hat and a pair of bed socks. I just knit a super soft scarf using bamboo yarn and I think it would be great material for Mason's mom.

If I read the previous post correctly, Mason used worsted weight yarn with size 8 needles and cast on was 80. So if i'm judging gauge correctly that's about 4.5 stitches per inch at 80 cast on would make the hat circumference just about 18". If that sound completely out of the ball park, let me know. Sorry, I know that makes me sound like a total nut job, but I'm all about gauge when trying to make something that fits. :)

I'm also a size 7 1/2 feet so no problems there.

Aub - I will PM you when I'm ready to ship. Thanks for organizing!!

lestrella
05-20-2008, 07:56 PM
I have a red square, 8" by 8". If you decided to go with pastel colors for the lapghan, let me know. I have blue and pink CSS. I would be no problem to make another one.

auburnchick
05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I have a red square, 8" by 8". If you decided to go with pastel colors for the lapghan, let me know. I have blue and pink CSS. I would be no problem to make another one.

Hmmm...I'll bet we can work that red in somewhere. Why don't you go ahead and send it anyway!

lestrella
05-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Hmmm...I'll bet we can work that red in somewhere. Why don't you go ahead and send it anyway!
I would like to make a hat as well. So, I'll wait until I have it ready. :hug:

Ladylou
05-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Hey Ya'll!

Oh, I can absolutely work in red! Its her favorite color! If you'd like to send it in, please just pm me for my address:D

I got pms from FOUR generous knitters today for squares! YAY!cloud9 I'm so happy! I'll be casting on my first square tomorrow.....:woohoo:

Hope ya'll are well!

Love,

auburnchick
05-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Awesome work, ladies!!!!

KnittinMitchie has graciously agreed to crochet a border around our blanket! So, when Ladylou is done seaming, the blanket will travel one more time for finishing touches.

I've had a couple of questions about the timing of the squares. All items...whether they be squares, hats, spa cloths, or anything else, should be sent by June 30th.

You can send the squares to Ladylou OR myself. All other items should only be sent to me. We'll be sending the blanket along after the first care package since it will take a little longer. I will forward any squares I receive to Ladylou.

I hope this clears up any questions. Let me know if I've confused you or left out anything.

KnittinMitchie
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
KnittinMitchie has graciously agreed to crochet a border around our blanket! So, when Ladylou is done seaming, the blanket will travel one more time for finishing touches.

I am very excited about doing the crochet border on the blanket. Lady Lou once you are done PM me and I'll get you my address. I was very touched that Auburnchick though of me when it came to the finishing touches.

auburnchick
05-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I am very excited about doing the crochet border on the blanket. Lady Lou once you are done PM me and I'll get you my address. I was very touched that Auburnchick though of me when it came to the finishing touches.

You're very welcome! Every person has special talents...which makes this project especially wonderful. We're all contributing in our own, unique ways.

Plus, you're my chat bud! :hug:

blueygh2
05-21-2008, 10:46 PM
As you might know, I'm a little busy at the moment with exams, but I finish on June 17th, so I might actually get a square done. (Would have to buy some yarn though, probably... only have some orange and some white left)

Would be happy to contribute!!
And I have been craving to do some simple knitting after all this crocheting...

Would a simple garter square be enough ? (Instead of st st with garter border)

Ladylou
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Hey Ya'll!

Mitchie: Thank you SO much for doing the border for the afghan!! :hug: Thats so sweet of you and I think it'll really finish it off even more beautifully. I have a sneaking suspicion that anything that this many people put time, yarn, and love into has no possibilty of being not beautiful:teehee:

Chick: You're absolutely right! Seaming is the perfect job for me because its something to look foward too, and slowly-but-surely putting together everyone elses beauty is right at my skill level so far:teehee:

I just wanted to ask... should I not do any seaming and just store the squares until the deadline? I'd like to at least get some squares seamed before then so it doesnt seem like an eternity that i've had the afghan:aww: Any guidance?cloud9

Love,

gingerbread
05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
I know I am a little late but I would love to start knitting some hats. I found a couple of patterns on the Head Huggers. I do think that I can get them in before the dead line. So I guess I am in for this one.
I have a lot of the DK weight yarns to knit with. I think that the light weight yarns would be better:shrug:. Let me know what you think for the light weight yarns.

:waving:

auburnchick
05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Would a simple garter square be enough ? (Instead of st st with garter border)

Garter would be just fine! Thank you!

I just wanted to ask... should I not do any seaming and just store the squares until the deadline? I'd like to at least get some squares seamed before then so it doesnt seem like an eternity that i've had the afghan

You can do this however you want. Part of me thinks that it might be better to wait until they all come in so you can fit them together better...colorwise...but you're right in that it will be a very big job if you wait. I'm trusting your judgment. I don't think you'll go wrong either way. :thumbsup:

I know I am a little late but I would love to start knitting some hats. I found a couple of patterns on the Head Huggers. I do think that I can get them in before the dead line. So I guess I am in for this one.
I have a lot of the DK weight yarns to knit with. I think that the light weight yarns would be better:shrug:. Let me know what you think for the light weight yarns.

Oh, we're so glad to have you!!! There's still plenty of time, so don't worry one little bit!

DK weight will be a nice alternative to the heat that we have in Florida. Go for it!

Thanks all!!!

:grphug:

Rosemary
05-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Count me in for a hat and a square!

auburnchick
05-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Count me in for a hat and a square!

Thanks, Rosemary! :muah:

victoria arms
05-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks Nathalie for your prompt reply with your address. I will mail it to you first thing in the morning. Victoria

Ladylou
05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Hey Ya'll!:hug:

Thanks Ms. Nathalie... I'll just kind of take it how it comes and see how it turns out. If i see two squares that just have to go together, i'll probably seam them and worst case scenario is that I have to rip it out, which most certianly isnt the end of the world:teehee:

There are squares headed towards me in the mail (:woohoo: :cheering: :woohoo: ) and I'll definetely post pictures of them all as they arrive!:thumbsup:

Love,

KnittinMitchie
05-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Lady Lou if its possible could you take a pic once you have the blanket all seamed together? That way I can start looking for a border yarn while its in the mail. Depending on the size it may take me a while to do plus I want to make sure I buy enough yarn to the whole border.

DianaM
05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm halfways through my first square.

auburnchick
05-23-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm halfways through my first square.

:yay:

suecq
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I have 4 squares done. 2 rose colored and 2 mint colored. I ham PM'd Ladylou for the address to send them.

auburnchick
05-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I have 4 squares done. 2 rose colored and 2 mint colored. I ham PM'd Ladylou for the address to send them.

Wow! They sound lovely!!!

suecq
05-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I do knit better than I type. Don't know how I got ham out of have. Meant to say I have PM'd Ladylou for the address.

When I am doing squares for an afghan (knit or crochet) I find it helpful to do a single crochet edge around each square. This not only gives a good edge to sew them together, but you can also even out the measurements by doing an extra single crochet row when you come up short.

Dangles
05-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm so glad my suggestion is alive. *is one happy camper that has a warm fuzzy feeling inside*

My square is about to be casted on.

Ladylou
05-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Hey Ya'll!

Of course I can take a picture of the finished blanket!:woohoo: I'll make sure to vaccume before I put it on the floor:teehee:

I wanted to ask... since our list of people who are sending in squares has grown so much.... should we put four to a row? It might be easier for her to handle and it might be cozier. Just a suggestion:aww:

Mitchie, I'm going to pm you because I think it would look really neat to have the seaming and the border the same color and yarn.... It might tie it in together well?:knitting: again, just a suggestion so PLEASE feel free to shoot me down if i've made a most terrible mistake:teehee:

Just wanted to say THANK YOU (!!!!!!) so much to everyone who has put work into this most wonderful project.:inlove: It really has grown into something just lovely:hug: :heart: :hug:

Love,
Lexie

auburnchick
05-23-2008, 03:54 PM
When I am doing squares for an afghan (knit or crochet) I find it helpful to do a single crochet edge around each square. This not only gives a good edge to sew them together, but you can also even out the measurements by doing an extra single crochet row when you come up short.

What a great suggestion! Thanks!

I'm so glad my suggestion is alive. *is one happy camper that has a warm fuzzy feeling inside*

My square is about to be casted on.

Yep...your idea really took off! Wow!

I wanted to ask... since our list of people who are sending in squares has grown so much.... should we put four to a row? It might be easier for her to handle and it might be cozier.

I agree, Lexie. Our list has grown to the point where I have no idea how many squares we have coming. I've got a few people on Ravelry sending squares too, so the number is growing almost daily, with many people contributing several squares.

We should go ahead and plan to increase the blanket to at least four squares wide. We may, after receiving all of the squares, discover that we have to go up to five! We'll start out planning for four across and how ever many down. If it seems to be too long, we'll just increase it to five across.

:passedout:

Have I told y'all that I love this group???? Y'all are some very generous knitters!!!

gmmarton
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Auburnchick,

Do I send my squares to you? I've almost finished two already, and have a long weekend ahead of me, so I should have another two finished by Monday. Just let me know to whom I mail them, you or someone else. Thanks! Gail

auburnchick
05-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Auburnchick,

Do I send my squares to you? I've almost finished two already, and have a long weekend ahead of me, so I should have another two finished by Monday. Just let me know to whom I mail them, you or someone else. Thanks! Gail

If you're only knitting squares, go ahead and send them to Ladylou. Send her a PM asking for her address. Other knitted items come to me, although I will forward any squares that come my way to her.

Thanks! :muah:

Pat in Ca
05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I finished 2 squares..one is a med blue garter stitch Caron Simply soft.. the other is a goldish-yellow one I used art lady's dishcloth pattern.. I like it..I started a third, but I goofed up and ripped it out..
What kind of patterns are you guys using for your squares?/ Also,
I am interested in learning about how this whole thing is put together..If the generous knitters who are seaming and doing the border (Lexie and Christine) can share with me how to do it I would appreciate it.. Always learning!!

These squares are addictive!!!

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-24-2008, 05:08 AM
I arrived in Singapore late last night (almost 1am)-- I knitted on my afghan square on the plane.. (it was so nice to have time to actually knit- I've been too busy with the move..) and I worked on it some... while 'waiting' for the tour bus to pick us up at the hotel. I will get it finished before I leave here and will mail it when I return to Seoul.

gingerbread
05-24-2008, 10:25 AM
I am making a hat for Mason's mom. I made it in a dk weight yarn. I should be done by the end of this week end. Should I pm you when done. I am going to the store to find a nice card also to go with the cap.
I think this is the best of everyone for doing this thank you again for starting this project.
Love to all I know Jean will love every hat and the lapgan. I don't know if I will be able to send a square but I have some lovely new yarns and I do want to send at least one out.

:waving:

monzogary
05-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I haven't been around here much lately (funny how life gets in the way of fun, huh?!), but I saw this and just had to join in. I started a lovely lace edged hat last night using this yarn (color #10): http://www.yarndexforyarn.com/Kashmir_DK_Louisa_Harding_Yarn.shtml
and this pattern:
http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt18.htm
It is a lovely soft yarn and seems to work well with the pattern!

Ladylou
05-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey Ya'll!:)

To put the squares together, what I've done in the past is do a simple whipstitch one or two stitches into the garter border on both of the squares that i'm joining. I make big long rows with one big thread of yarn, and then sew them together along the shorter rows. (the one that are going to be 5 squares across) That way there arent a ton of messy strings. I hope that helps:)

I've completely lost track as well! I know there have been (at least) 10 people pm me for my address, and a few of them are sending in as many as four squares!!:woot: Wow, this is just so excitingcloud9

Love,

Cynamar
05-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I haven't started my squares but have yarn for them. I did visit my LUS last night where I completely fell in love with Debbie Bliss. My chemo cap is made of gorgeous red Rialto. It's love and it's the real thing this time!

auburnchick
05-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I haven't been around here much lately (funny how life gets in the way of fun, huh?!), but I saw this and just had to join in. I started a lovely lace edged hat last night using this yarn (color #10): http://www.yarndexforyarn.com/Kashmir_DK_Louisa_Harding_Yarn.shtml
and this pattern:
http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt18.htm
It is a lovely soft yarn and seems to work well with the pattern!

Lovely!!! :inlove:

Here's the yarn that I bought today:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2372/2519416982_c6a0f79a96.jpg

I'm going to make this (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt10.htm) pattern.

Ladylou
05-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey Ya'll!

ohhhhhh pretty Ms. Nathalie:inlove: I bet that'll make a lovely hat!!

Ms. Christine (knittingmitchie) and I agreed that we should use the same yarn, we're just not sure which color yet:D

Love,

KnittinMitchie
05-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I pm'ed ya back ladylou. We did decide on a red color. I am now thinking about which crochet border i'm going to do. May need to make a trip to the library and pick up a crochet trim book to flip through

evona
05-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Such pretty yarn auburnchick!!! I'm done with my washcloth and nearly done with my block. My son and my volunteer trip this weekend was postponed due to bad weather so I've had some time to knit :cheering: I bought some lavender soap to go with the washcloth and I'm coming up with some other little nick nacks too. As soo as I have it all together I will PM you auburnchick & ladylou :)

lestrella
05-25-2008, 04:18 PM
What a lovely yarn! I was working on my hat this morning. I turned away for a second to get the measuring tape and my dog took the yarn and ran away with it. I was able to take it away from him but I just put it in the garbage. I'm going to start a new one. My hat seems to be a little small. I started with 80 stitches and it was too big. Since I am using two strands of yarn, I decided to cast on 56 sts but it's just too small.

auburnchick
05-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Bad dog! :fingerwag:

evona
05-25-2008, 10:38 PM
What a lovely yarn! I was working on my hat this morning. I turned away for a second to get the measuring tape and my dog took the yarn and ran away with it. I was able to take it away from him but I just put it in the garbage. I'm going to start a new one. My hat seems to be a little small. I started with 80 stitches and it was too big. Since I am using two strands of yarn, I decided to cast on 56 sts but it's just too small.

Oh those doggies!!! I knit a hat using that same yarn - color and all. Unfortunately, I can't find my notebook for the hat or I would tell you how many sts I cast on. I've been looking for it just today though so if I find it soon I will post again.

kellybigeyes
05-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I came across this thread and it was just at the right time. I have been searching the net tonight for a pattern for a chemo cap to make for someone in my family. I really like the one from Lionbrand. The only thing that I am confused about is how to measure for it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jaxhil
05-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I would love to make something, too, but there seem to already be many hats and squares and such being made. Would a shawl be alright, or useful, do you think?

I have some wool-ease (in cranberry, with maybe a dark gray/light gray border, or a blue/gray border). I could use it to make the "Warm Shawl" from Knitting Classic Style (Veronika Avery). I've started it and I am not sure how long it will take me~surely I can finish it in time to send to y'all! I think :cool:

Or if you think something else would be better, let me know. I would love to send Mason's Mom something to warm and cheer her.

thanks for any help!

Knit4Fun
05-26-2008, 04:28 PM
I've got one square almost done - in a light teal color - and a white one ready to cast on. Should have them done in a day or two.

This project has taught me that I am a loose knitter apparently because when I CO 38 stitches, I started at 8 inches and ended up with 9-9.5 by the end of the square!!! So this time I've CO with 32 and it seems to be growing from 7 inches to 8.

Good thing I paid some attention in grade school math...:teehee:

auburnchick
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I would love to make something, too, but there seem to already be many hats and squares and such being made. Would a shawl be alright, or useful, do you think?

A shawl would be lovely! Just make sure you include care instructions so she doesn't accidentally felt it!

Thanks for joining us!! :hug:

Jaxhil
05-27-2008, 09:44 AM
ok, great! I'm using wool-ease, so washing in the machine will be fine. I may change to cotton (I don't think the wool-ease has enough drape for this pattern, but I'll probably just go with it-I like the colors :teehee:).

thanks for organizing this, Nathalie (and everyone who's helping!)!

KnittinMitchie
05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
LadyLou and I have been putting our head together and picked our color. Now what we where wondering is how many people have done/ are doing squares. SOMEONE lost count.

I found the list auburn had from before. :)

People doing blocks:
jdee (2)
evona
gmmarton
Dangles
Ladylou
Pat in Ca
Dianna (2)
Cynamar
lestrella
Knit4Fun

auburnchick
05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
LadyLou and I have been putting our head together and picked our color. Now what we where wondering is how many people have done/ are doing squares. SOMEONE lost count.

:rofl:

This project has grown by leaps and bounds. People are signing up for more than one square!!! Wowsa! Everyone is so generous...hence I think we may wind up with a full blanket. :teehee:

Bottom line is that the deadline for squares is June 30th. Hopefully we can get the blanket seamed and bordered by the end of the next month. No absolute deadline for that since that's going to be the biggest part of it.

jdee
05-27-2008, 01:17 PM

I sent 2 squares.

evona
05-27-2008, 01:18 PM

I did a block in variegated blues. I'm PMing Ladylou now :)

cindycactus
05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
I have a mint green square done and will have it in the mail tomorrow. I will PM Lady Lou as soon as it is in the Post Office.
I also have my Chemo Cap OTN. :knitting:

auburnchick
05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I sent 2 squares.

I also received your hats in the mail. Thank you! I'll post pictures later.

auburnchick
05-27-2008, 04:38 PM
The goodies have started arriving! :woohoo:

jdee sent these (the colors didn't come out quite right in the pictures, but they are just lovely):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2239/2529186564_363ec1d539.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/2528366457_c2cef8b3fd.jpg

Victoria sent this hat:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2529186694_4a84af348d.jpg

Awesome job, ladies!!!

I'm about halfway done with the hat I'm making. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Pat in Ca
05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Such purdy hats!! I love them...
I have finished 2 squares.. a med blue and a goldish yellow..
I am halfway finished with a bone colored one.. I will send the 3 when I finish.. although I am addicted to making them.. so may make another one..

auburnchick
05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
although I am addicted to making them.. so may make another one..

:teehee:

And the blanket grows and grows. :teehee:

jdee
05-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks, Nathalie. I'm so glad they arrived safely. The one Victoria sent is beautiful.

Jaxhil
05-28-2008, 11:00 AM
My shawl is changing daily-meaning I keep changing my mind about the yarn, pattern, and I even started a crochet one as well! I'm using I love this Yarn! (which shockingly, I really do like, lol!) It is rather holey, though, as some crochet tends to be. Its very soft (much softer than the wool-ease, for instance) and pretty though; do you think holey matters?~or would it be better to make something warmer (solid, in other words)?

I was thinking of the ribbed collar shawl in The Knitting Experience: The Purl Stitch. I think it looks very cozy, would stay on fairly well. OR...why can't I decide?! ;)~ the warm shawl I originally started (still on the needles, about 4 inches done), or the Feather and Fan basic shawl from Knit Picks, in Caron SS or maybe Caron SS Shadows, Autumn. Maybe I'll just make one of each. Can a woman have too many shawls? :teehee: Any tips on deciding?

The hats I've seen are really pretty! I can't wait to see how the afghan shapes up, too.

auburnchick
05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
My shawl is changing daily-meaning I keep changing my mind about the yarn, pattern, and I even started a crochet one as well! I'm using I love this Yarn! (which shockingly, I really do like, lol!) It is rather holey, though, as some crochet tends to be. Its very soft (much softer than the wool-ease, for instance) and pretty though; do you think holey matters?~or would it be better to make something warmer (solid, in other words)?

I was thinking of the ribbed collar shawl in The Knitting Experience: The Purl Stitch. I think it looks very cozy, would stay on fairly well. OR...why can't I decide?! ;)~ the warm shawl I originally started (still on the needles, about 4 inches done), or the Feather and Fan basic shawl from Knit Picks, in Caron SS or maybe Caron SS Shadows, Autumn. Maybe I'll just make one of each. Can a woman have too many shawls? :teehee: Any tips on deciding?

The hats I've seen are really pretty! I can't wait to see how the afghan shapes up, too.

Bless your little knitter's heart! So much love and generosity inside of you...too many choices. :hug:

I don't think it matters one bit if the shawl is holey or not. Go with what makes you happy to knit. She will be thrilled with whatever you decide.

Didn't help you much, did I? :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Bless your little knitter's heart! So much love and generosity inside of you...too many choices. :hug:

I don't think it matters one bit of the shawl is holey or not. Go with what makes you happy to knit. She will be thrilled with whatever you decide.

Didn't help you much, did I? :teehee:

I too want to knit more than just hat and skinny scarf. I may knit a feather fan scarf too. Who know I just know I'll be sending Ms. Jean the blanket at the end so I can always send her something else.

Ladylou
05-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Guess what I got today?....cloud9

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/MMsquaresfromJenniferjdee.jpg

Arent they beautiful?:D Thank you so much for the lovely note, Ms. Jennifer and what yarn did you use? The striping is just stunning!:D

I bought the yarn for the seaming as well.... ohhhh how exciting!:woot:

I just cant even express how lovely and generous all you charity knitters are. It was so exciting to get the first package:teehee: Something tells me though... they're all going to be special:aww: :teehee:

Love,

auburnchick
05-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh, how pretty!!!! I love the stripes! :inlove:

jdee
05-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh, I'm so glad you got them. I used Caron SS in white and orchid on one, and off-white and soft green on the other. It was really fun.

Ladylou
05-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Oh, I'm so glad you got them. I used Caron SS in white and orchid on one, and off-white and soft green on the other. It was really fun.
Hey Ya'll!:D

Jdee... do they have a self striping or did you to a yarn change every...two...rows?:O:O They really are beautiful!

Love,

jdee
05-29-2008, 01:57 AM
I changed the colors every two rows, carrying them up the side of the piece (the way I learned watching Knitty Gritty:) )

KnittinMitchie
05-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Knitty Gritty is a good show I tell you what. The down side is for me to watch it now its on at 5 AM?!?! HGTV desided to air it at 6am/5am CST NO way am I getting up early just to watch a half hour show. DVR here I come.

jdee
05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
I know. I don't watch it anymore for that same reason.

Ladylou
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey Everyone!:cheering:

It looks so neat, like you didnt even change colors! You have a ton of patience:O

Mail still hasnt come yet today (Trust me, i've been watching:teehee: ) but if anything comes in i'll be sure to post picscloud9

Love,
Lexie

auburnchick
05-29-2008, 05:22 PM
I finished my hat last night. I used the No-Hair-Day Hairy Chemo Cap pattern from the Head Huggers site (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt10.htm).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/2534112165_3289c07d57.jpg

I'm going to start work on a pair of fingerless gloves.

jdee
05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
:inlove: Oh, that's so cute. Good job.

Ladylou
05-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Hey There!

OH so cute Ms. Nathalie!cloud9 If all my hair fell out... I would definetely have pink hair just to make my friends laugh:teehee:

Love,

Dangles
05-30-2008, 03:16 AM
I've found some Bernat Satin in worsted weight in this colour ...

Sterling

http://www.bernat.com/data/product/sample/sample_16410404046.jpg

I just hope it goes with the blanket :think:

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Here's my square... http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/artteacher2007/knitting/travel003.jpg

evona
05-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Here's my square... http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/artteacher2007/knitting/travel003.jpg

That's so beautiful!!!!!

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-30-2008, 10:00 AM
evona- thank YOU! The back side ends up having a ribbed stitch pattern too- so, it's actually reversable... I might use the stitch to make a scarf someday??? (If I can remember, that is!) :aww:

auburnchick
05-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I've found some Bernat Satin in worsted weight in this colour ...

Sterling

http://www.bernat.com/data/product/sample/sample_16410404046.jpg

I just hope it goes with the blanket :think:

I think it will look lovely with the other squares!! Go for it!

What a lovely pattern! Can you tell us the name of the stitch you used?

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-30-2008, 11:02 AM
It was a twist stitch that I found 'somewhere' in one of my stitch dictionaries... IF I can find it... I will post it later...(since, it was knitted on the plane and I had the stitch pattern memorized quickly... I don't know if I lost it or not?)

It looks better in person- than the photo shows... the flash washed out the stitch pattern and the color.

KnittinMitchie
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm really excited to see all of these wonderful squares put together into the afghan :)

LadyLou I found the Caron SS in Autumn at my walmart. We call that color Texas A&M aggie red :)

jdee
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
:cheering: gorgeous square!

Pat in Ca
05-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I LOVE that pink hat!!! It looks soo soft and comfy and light for summer.. good job.
Also, I must have that stitch pattern on the blue square.. IT IS GORGEOUS.. and I LOVE the striped squares.. (When you carried the yarn up the side did you pick up the new yarn and move it to the front of old yarn before you started to knit? ) Your edges look so even and I can't get mine to look like that..

I have 3 done, and have started on another, but mine are pretty plain
compared to your fancy ones!!

Cynamar
05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
I finished my cap. It's a terrible picture because I used my phone. The cap is RED--not pink! It's the Rolled-Brim Chemo Cap pattern from Head Huggers but I didn't follow the pattern very well--mostly just for casting off and decreasing. I like the texture of ribbing. Then I got bored and did some purl stripes.

Dangles
05-30-2008, 02:02 PM
It's one nice looking square! good job :thumbsup:

kellybigeyes
05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I love it!! It looks great!

I finished my hat last night. I used the No-Hair-Day Hairy Chemo Cap pattern from the Head Huggers site (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt10.htm).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/2534112165_3289c07d57.jpg

I'm going to start work on a pair of fingerless gloves.

jdee
05-30-2008, 02:42 PM
When you carried the yarn up the side did you pick up the new yarn and move it to the front of old yarn before you started to knit?

Yes. It's' easier for me, if I hold the old yarn in back, then pick up the new yarn. But it's really the same thing as pulling the new to the front, but it keeps the old yarn out of the way, when knitting that first stitch.

jdee
05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Cynamar, I LOVE your hat!:yay:

Cynamar
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Thank you! It looks soooooooooo much better in person but I've seen better.

Ladylou
05-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey There ya'll!

Oh wow! That hat is just gorgous! (I wish i could make something like that:teehee: )

I really love the square as well! Of the squares that I've seen so far and the two that have come in... I think it'll make a most lovely addition:aww:

No squares came yesterday... the mail comes at about four so i'm sure you'll hear from me again then:teehee: :teehee:

Love,

Update:

I got not one... not two... but THREE PACKAGES!!:heart: :yay: :cheering: :heart: (which brings our total to 9 squares so far!! How exciting)

Thank you so much for all of the beautifully stunning squares!:knitting: And thank you SO much for the goodies. The stitch markers are simply beautiful:heart: I cant beleive you made them, Ms. Rachel!:O

Anywho, I'll definetely post pictures tomorrow... it was dark by the time i rolled down to get the mail, and my camera doesnt do so well in little light:teehee:

Love,

gmmarton
05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Lexie,

I mailed out two squares to you for Mason's Mom's blanket. Delivery confirmation # is: 0307 1790 0005 4923 9919. I'll be making more squares over the next two weeks...

Many thanks!

Gail

mks22300
05-31-2008, 11:56 AM
I finished a washcloth a few minutes ago from the Spa & Bath sets to knit (http://www.amazon.com/Bath-Sets-Knit-Leisure-Arts/dp/1601402708) pattern book, I used the pattern called Refresh. I'm so happy with the way it turned out. I'll try to post a pic later. I'm hoping I can make one or two more, but Father's Day and Preschool graduation projects may limit me.
Everyone has done such wonderful work!

Xyza
05-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Thank you so much for all of the beautifully stunning squares!:knitting: And thank you SO much for the goodies. The stitch markers are simply beautiful:heart: I cant beleive you made them, Ms. Rachel!:O

I'm glad you like them.

Can't wait to see pictures of the other squares. Everyone's have been so beautiful so far. It's going to be stunning blanket.

auburnchick
05-31-2008, 08:34 PM
'm hoping I can make one or two more, but Father's Day and Preschool graduation projects may limit me.
Everyone has done such wonderful work!

Do what you can, but don't stress yourself. Your generosity is very much appreciated. :hug:

It's going to be stunning blanket.

That's because it's being made with tons of love...the most beautiful thing of all. :heart:

Y'all are fabulous!

auburnchick
06-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi all!

I just finished this pair of Greenaway Fingerless Gloves (http://www.purlbee.com/greenaway-fingerless-gloves/). I'll send them along with the cap I made.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3122/2539285851_0f8ef35c8e.jpg

KnittinMitchie
06-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I have my hat done and ready to go. I for got to take a picture BAD me. Should get it mailed this week

jdee
06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi all!

I just finished this pair of Greenaway Fingerless Gloves (http://www.purlbee.com/greenaway-fingerless-gloves/). I'll send them along with the cap I made.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3122/2539285851_0f8ef35c8e.jpg
Very, very nice:)

evona
06-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Those gloves are very cute auburnchick :)

Ronda
06-03-2008, 07:33 AM
My hat is just about done. It's knit flat and then seamed up. All I have to do is seam it up today. Auburnchick, can you PM me your address so I can mail it out to you? (Or did I miss a post that had your address in it already?)

auburnchick
06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
My hat is just about done. It's knit flat and then seamed up. All I have to do is seam it up today. Auburnchick, can you PM me your address so I can mail it out to you? (Or did I miss a post that had your address in it already?)

Nope, you didn't miss it. I've been PM'ing my address. Posting private information like that in the forums is discouraged due to safety concerns.

I just sent you a PM, though. :thumbsup:

Ladylou
06-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Hey Everyone!

Oh my gosh, i am sooo sorry i havnt been here in so long:cry:

My computer power cord broke... we're going to Best Buy today to get another one! YAY! I'm using my moms laptop but hers isnt compatible with the pictures i took*sigh* Will have them up soon! They really are just beautiful!:D I've gotten in a few more packages... cant wait to share!

Love,
Lexie

P.S. those gloves are STUNNING!

rennfamily
06-03-2008, 04:20 PM
My hat went out today, along with a skein of the cotton yarn I used to make it. Just in case Mason's mom wants to crochet something while waiting for her therapy. I just hope its a good fit. And Bad me forgot to take a pic of it.

auburnchick
06-03-2008, 06:06 PM
My hat went out today, along with a skein of the cotton yarn I used to make it. Just in case Mason's mom wants to crochet something while waiting for her therapy. I just hope its a good fit. And Bad me forgot to take a pic of it.

I'll post a picture when I receive it! :thumbsup:

Ronda
06-04-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm done and ready to mail my hat to auburnchick (just gotta find an envelope!)

auburnchick
06-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Gorgeous!!! :inlove: You really did a great job! I love the pattern and the color!

evona
06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm done and ready to mail my hat to auburnchick (just gotta find an envelope!)

Cute cute cute cute cute :)

Arielluria
06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm a little late on reading this original post. Any more caps needed for her? I didn't know about Mason's mom.

auburnchick
06-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm a little late on reading this original post. Any more caps needed for her? I didn't know about Mason's mom.

Oh, please, if you want to make a cap, by all means do! I think she'll use every single one we make.

Here's the low-down.

You can make anything you want. I originally started with the intent to send her caps, but we have some people who don't get along with hat patterns very well, so they are making her something else instead.

If you want to make a cap, machine washable is best. But, if you use something else (like me, :teehee:), include care instructions when you send it.

Some people are making bed socks; others are making spa cloths. I made her some fingerless gloves.

She's not allergic to any type of fiber, that Mason is aware of. If you make a hat, make a medium. She wears 7 1/2 shoes. Her favorite colors are red, earth tones, and pastels. The last round of chemo left her cold all the time. So, even though she lives in Florida, don't be afraid to use something warmer.

PM me when you're done, and I'll send you my address. I'm going to put everything into one big care package and send it at one time.

NOW...

You can choose to make a square for a blanket we're putting together. Squares should be 8x8, worsted weight, and machine washable. Squares get sent to LadyLou, who will be seaming the blanket. Send her a PM to get her address. Obviously, the blanket will get sent separately, since KnittinMitchie will be adding a border when Lexie is done seaming.

I should have all items by June 30th.

I hope I've covered everything. Please let me know if you have any questions!

auburnchick
06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I received Rosemary's hat today! It is beautiful! And so soft! Even my son commented on it when he picked it up to inspect it.

She used Hobby Lobby's Sweet Delight. It's got more blue to it than the picture shows. The pattern is the Lace-Edged Women's Hat, located here (http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt18.htm), if I'm not mistaken.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/2551417551_fcce0ecdfe.jpg

Jaxhil
06-04-2008, 08:19 PM
oh WOW!! that hat is *beautiful*!!! :heart::muah: she'll love it (it does look soft, too!) ok, ALL the hats/squares/mitts that've been posted are beautiful!!

I just have a quick question- I'm a little over halfway through the shawl I'm making for Mason's DMom, and the pattern I'm using calls for fringe.

Now, I think the fringe looks pretty, but you know, fringe is a very personal thing, lol~some people love it, and some people HATE it! What do y'all think?

To fringe, or not to fringe...:hmm: :shrug:

Any advice appreciated!

KnittinMitchie
06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I mailed you a box to day AuburnChick. You should get it sometime over the weekend. It is coming Priority mail.

auburnchick
06-04-2008, 08:57 PM
To fringe, or not to fringe...:hmm: :shrug:

Any advice appreciated!

Do what YOU want to do. She'll love it either way!! :thumbsup:

DianaM
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
My squares are finally in the mail!

Ladylou
06-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey Ya'll!

I finally got to take pictures!:woot: They're all SO beautiful... and guess what? Our total is now... ***14 squares!!!*** YAY!cloud9 Here are the pictures I took... I hope they come through okay, and the pictures dont do them justice!!

Here are the squares I received from Rachel (along with the most beautiful hand-made stitch markers for me:aww:) and a note...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/MMsqaresfromRachel.jpg

Here is the square I received from Rosemary along with a note (the pink is such a lovely color... I keep lying them out and figuring out where i want to place them!:aww:)...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/MMsquarefromRosemary.jpg

Here are the squares I received from Connie (suecq) along with a note and directions... (I think i'll use these four as the corners of the blanket because they're the same colors... hmm...)

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/MMsquaresfromConnie.jpg

Here are the squares I received from Gail (gmmarton) along with a very kind note and a lovely notepad for me! (Thank you, Gail... It goes perfectly with my room:) ):

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/MMsquaresfromGail.jpg

Okay, for the rest of them, I'm going to start another post so this one can load for everyone!:)

Love,

auburnchick
06-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh wow! Such beautiful squares!!! :inlove:

Thanks, Lexie, for posting the pictures. Thanks everyone for such amazing generosity!! You picked lovely colors and patterns!! Wow!

KnittinMitchie
06-05-2008, 09:43 AM
WOW Lexie 14 squares :) I cant wait to see it all sew together.

kellybigeyes
06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Everything is just beautiful!!

jdee
06-05-2008, 12:30 PM
All the squares are so beautiful. Everyone does such lovely work.:muah:

Pat in Ca
06-05-2008, 12:31 PM
What beautiful knitting.. thanks for posting pics.. they are really fun to look at...
I mailed 4 squares to you today Lexie..

Ladylou
06-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey Everyone!:)

Here are the two squares that I didnt post last night (sorry, I have a spinning class today and wanted to get to bed at a decent hour:teehee: )

Here is the square that came from Thelma:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/MMsquarefromThelma.jpg

And here is the square and note that came from Yvonne:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/MMsquaresfromYvonne.jpg

This is just so exciting I can hardly bear it!!:woohoo: :teehee: I think this is really going to turn out to be a blanket and not a lapghan... I keep lying out the squares how I want to seam them and all the squares ya'll have knitte are just beautiful!!cloud9 :knitting:

Love,

Cynamar
06-05-2008, 02:05 PM
The squares are beautiful!

auburnchick
06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I have a mint green square done and will have it in the mail tomorrow. I will PM Lady Lou as soon as it is in the Post Office.
I also have my Chemo Cap OTN. :knitting:

I received both hats today!

Here's cindycactus's:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2554702474_09e9732e8f.jpg

And here's rennfamily's (this one is actually shades of blue, not gray):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/2554702430_029e905c3f.jpg

Cynamar
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Ooh! Pretty!

Knit4Fun
06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Everything looks so beautiful... :grphug:

I sent my two squares to LadyLou today and I mailed Mason's Mom a box of books that I hope she will enjoy since she is a big reader!

Pat in Ca
06-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Wow.. fancy-dancey hats!! and the squares are so creative!!!
I wonder if Thelma would share the stitch pattern for that pastel green one... it looks pastel green..

I seem to be addicted to making squares.. and thinking about making squares...I need to learn the method of putting them together.. I am interested in learning the process of putting them together and also putting the border on the blanket at the end..where can I learn this?

KnittinMitchie
06-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey Everyone!:)
This is just so exciting I can hardly bear it!!:woohoo: :teehee: I think this is really going to turn out to be a blanket and not a lapghan... I keep lying out the squares how I want to seam them and all the squares ya'll have knitted are just beautiful!!cloud9 :knitting:

Love,

I keep seeing these wonderful squares and have begun to think about my border. :woot:My mom has come to my rescue, she crochets MUCH better than I do, and is thinking of a good border that is girly and lacy but will also look right in worsted weight yarn. I'm gong to be doing some sample squares to see what I like then I'll post to see what everyone thinks.

Ladylou
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey Ya'll!

I made a mistake before! I got a pm today telling me that the connie that sent in these beautiful squares:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Lady_lou3/MMsquaresfromConnie.jpg

Is in fact *NOT* Constance123, but rather suecq. I am SO sorry for this mistake. Please do pm me if I did this with your squares as well!

If you have not yet sent out your squares, I would really appreciate it if you could please also include your username with them, that would really help out with this problem:aww: :red: :aww:

Thank you so much for your understanding!

Love,