PDA

View Full Version : Best Stitchionary?

redheadrachel
05-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Hey everyone! I'm really wanting to start designing my own shawls and socks. What are some great books for lace or cable stitch patterns? If there's a book with both lace and cable that would be excellent, but if you know of a good one that is specifically lace OR cable, let me know that, too :) Thanks for your help!

divagirl
05-14-2008, 09:59 AM
The Vogue Stitchionary for cables is wonderful. It is all cable designs, no patterns and would be perfect for a designer.

Simply_Renee
05-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I checked out A Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker from the library:
http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Knitting-Patterns-Barbara-Walker/dp/0942018168/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210782811&sr=8-1

Looks like there are 3 more editions after that. There were TONS of different stitch patterns- I was amazed and will probably end up buying it at some point.

ETA although "patterns" is in the title- it's stitch patterns, not patterns to make things. Looking through the Amazon reviews will be helpful for you too I think for what's in there.

KnittingNat
05-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I was asking the same question here a while ago and i think that eventually i will get Barbara Walker's Treasury. It has a variety in one book and you don't need three books for all kinds of stitch patterns.

YouCantBuyThisMovement
05-14-2008, 07:11 PM
The Vogue Stitchionary for cables is wonderful. It is all cable designs, no patterns and would be perfect for a designer.

I have to agree I like this one. But I dont think it will matter what you use I am sure you will be whipping up great stuff in no time!

Mirl56
05-15-2008, 06:34 AM
I've checked both of these books out at the library: the cable version of Stitchionary and the cable version of Harmony's Cables & Arans.

The harmony book has more cable patterns (250); Stitchionary has around 200. I still liked Stitchionary better - it had charts and words for each pattern. Harmony often had either or, plus in some of the photos a portion of the stitch pattern was cut off.

I own Barbara Walkers 2nd Treasury - it has a wide variety of patterns. I bought it back in the 70's (no idea why I bought the 2nd and not the 1st). It's black/white (the other 2 are in color). Not sure if the newer versions of her books are color or b/w.

Momto G B and H
05-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I love stitch dictionaries. I have the Barbara Walker ones, the Vogue ones, and the old Harmony ones. I plan to get the newer Harmony ones after seeing them up close.
The Walker books are all in black and white, their biggest downfall. The first has a nice mix of different stitch patterns, while the second adds a big section about color and mosaic knitting. The third is a mixture, and all the patterns are charted and many also have written instructions. The fourth focuses on shapes and samplers, most of which I'd never use. There are a few new stitch patterns in the back.
The vogue books are great. Beautifully done. Each section uses the same color yarn. I especially like the color book because they've used really bright colors.
The Harmony ones I like, but are harder to understand. They are written in a mixture of American and British terms so they can be hard to translate. Sometimes they use YO, and sometimes YF to mean the same thing. The older books are a tall paperback style with many patterns on one page, while the newer ones (the ones I'd suggest) are one pattern to the page. Don't quote me on that though, I bought them for my mom for Mother's Day and only got a quick glance at them.
I say buy them all, a little at a time. The Walker books are $30 a piece, and I was never able to find a better price on them. The new Harmony ones run around $16 from Amazon, and the Vogue ones run around $20 or so. KnitPicks usually runs a 40% off MSRP on books during the summer so you might check out their library then hold off on the ones you can get from there if you don't mind waiting.