PDA

View Full Version : Knit Picks Lace Samplers

suziehomemaker
05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Everywhere I go I see the advertisement for Knit Picks Lace Samplers (http://www.knitpicks.com/promo/lace_knitting_yarn_samplers.aspx?utm_source=KP_hom ePage_Lace_Samplers&utm_medium=side_graphic&utm_campaign=Lace_Samplers). It's here, it's on Ravelry, it's in my email from Knit Picks. It's everywhere!

I really, really want to buy all 4 samplers!

Here's my issues: I don't have any need for more lace yarn since my stash is great right now. I have no idea what I would actually make with them since you can only make so many lace scarves. I think I'm working on my 5th or 6th lace scarf right now and I have plently of lace yarn to make 4 or 5 more. I love the suggestion to use two strands "to create your own fingering weight yarn for socks or gloves" but with this light weight yarn I would need to learn how to knit with 2 circulars first and I was hoping to get my second set of circulars for Christmas later this year.

I am normally very rational when it comes to yarn purchases. I want to make a certain pattern so I buy the right yarn OR I find wonderful yarn and find the perfect pattern. In this case, I just really, really want the yarn! It's like all of those food cravings when I was pregnant - nothing rational about it!

Anyone else in the same quandry as me? If someone could recommend a project where I could use several of those hanks I would be so grateful! I've been wanting to make a lace shawl or stole but I never found one that used multiple colors.

suecq
05-14-2008, 09:43 AM
I purchased the "Wrapped in Comfort" book and plan on making most of the shawls in it. I am almost finished with the first one and it looks like I will only use 1 skein or yarn as I am only making it elbow length. Just long enough to take the chill off of your back and shoulders.

suziehomemaker
05-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I looked at the "Wrapped in Comfort" book and I really liked it. The only problem is that I would only be able to make the 4 scarves in the book because the shawls would all take more than one hank. The Knit Picks yarns are all around 440 per hank and the samplers are just one color of each hank.

Simply_Renee
05-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Same problem here- only I have never even knitted lace before and am unsure what I could do with it. I am really burning to try some shawls (especially in the hot summer) but I must. finish. my. other. stuff. first.!

Maybe have a friend or 2 also order one and share so you each got enough to make something bigger?

Those samplers are GORGEOUS.

tarrentella
05-14-2008, 12:46 PM
why not find a pattern that would talk all 6 hanks of the sampler and alternate them in stripes. that gives you 2200 yards of co-ordinating colours to work with, which could work into a lacy wrap, vest or shrug or a a giant shawl/blanket.

suziehomemaker
05-14-2008, 01:20 PM
why not find a pattern that would talk all 6 hanks of the sampler and alternate them in stripes. that gives you 2200 yards of co-ordinating colours to work with, which could work into a lacy wrap, vest or shrug or a a giant shawl/blanket.

I do like that idea. I just need to get creative and find a pattern that works. On to ravelry . . .

InterNette
05-14-2008, 07:50 PM
that sampler add I saw has been tempting me as well. I would love to know how you like it if you get it.

Plantgoddess+
05-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I bought lace yarn from KP last month. I got 3 skeins of the Oregon Coast and I made the Adamas shawl with about 1.5 skeins. I also bought 4 skeins of the Gossamer lace in Sweet Pea colorway. I love the variegation (it's pink, fuchsia, all the way to dark purple. I started a shawl with it and am not fond of the busyness of the colors. I have completed on sock with it though on 0 dpns and am loving it. I didn't double it, I like how light weight the sock is and I think I can wear these socks later into the summer than fingering weight. I will have plenty of yarn in the skein to make the 2nd sock.
I am deperately trying not to buy the sampler though, it takes a lot longer to knit a sock in lace weight than it does in fingering weight.

CognizantAmiga
05-14-2008, 09:24 PM
OOOOHHHHH! ME! ME! ME! Everytime I see that, I think to myself I aught to try it, but thankfully I have talked myself out of it so far. They are beautiful! I imagine you could use most any pattern and change the colors if they coordinate well. I am working on Adamas right now, and could see changing the colors (if subtle color changes) at the repeats.

However, I remembered seeing several shawl patterns on ravelry while searching through that changed colors. Here are two of them. I like the first one best. You could also do the Ealenor shawl (out of Scarf Style -- Interweave Press) I want to do it in a lace weight. And color changes with entrelac are beautiful and easy. Just a few thoughts.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/revontuli--huivi

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/infinity-and-

Plantgoddess+
05-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Here's a link to a list of triangular shawls starting with about 200 yards. Just in case you just need a little nudge. I sure enjoy the feel of the shawl I made with the lace Shadow.
http://simpleknits.blogspot.com/2007/08/296-triangle-shawl-patterns.html

blueygh2
05-15-2008, 12:08 AM
I found those samplers as well and would SO like to buy them, (even though I already have so many projects going on, two of them lace scarves), and as I tell myself, one can never have too much yarn, not for the moment, because I don't have any real stash, but the problem is, they're only shipping in the US, so I can't buy those samplers... :(

(Already ordered some yarn from the states, but it cost me 20$ of shipping!)

redheadrachel
05-15-2008, 12:11 AM
I want it so freaking bad. lol I'm not getting it yet, though... if they keep it up long enough, they may eventually wear me down. I'm developing a lace fetish...

Firey Vixxen
05-15-2008, 01:05 AM
God bless America and the fact I don't have a credit card. that's all that is stopping me from rushing out and ordering ALL knitpicks nummy yarn.
On what you could do with the samplers, what about a sun and shadows Jumper (Pullover? Sweater? Lol, I don't speak American Good). You Use 2 or 3 strands at once and change 1 strand at a time so you change colours gradully.
eg,
3 Black
2 Black, 1 Brown,
1 Black, 2 Brown,
3 Brown
2 Brown, 1 Green,
1 Brown, 2 Green,
3 Green
ECT
2 stranded has less colour changes, and thus looks more obvious. And I see no reson why you couldn't use more strands to make an even heavier Jumper, with more sutble changes. You can use any jumper pattern as well! Harmonious colours are made for this, travelling from dark to light, but feel free to mix it up or have varying stripe widths. The posibilitys are ENDLESS :X:
FV

suziehomemaker
05-15-2008, 08:26 AM
However, I remembered seeing several shawl patterns on ravelry while searching through that changed colors. Here are two of them. I like the first one best. You could also do the Ealenor shawl (out of Scarf Style -- Interweave Press) I want to do it in a lace weight. And color changes with entrelac are beautiful and easy. Just a few thoughts.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/revontuli--huivi

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/infinity-and-

I love that first shawl!!! With today being pay day I think I might have just been tipped over the edge . . .

I've knit a few lace scarves with Alpaca Cloud and I'm just dying to try all of the other lace yarns Knit Picks has.

gingerbread
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh I love the color ways :heart: that are up on the ad, but just got an order from knit picks. Then I just order more things that I needed. I spent just over 100.00 :passedout: and so I can't justify buying more yarn. So I sit here in front of the screen and drool at the picture.:roflhard:

:waving:

suziehomemaker
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm now debating which colors to get or maybe just splurge and get them all? I'm definitely getting that "Wrapped in Comfort" book too eventually. I don't think I can wait for Christmas for that one.

MMario
05-15-2008, 12:13 PM
it's cheaper if you order the skeins seperately.

Lisa R.
05-15-2008, 12:40 PM
it's cheaper if you order the skeins seperately.

According to my calculations, it's $25.94 separately, and the sampler is $24.99

MMario
05-15-2008, 01:09 PM
I stand corrected - they've upped a couple of prices since I worked it out the first time. However - the collection is $4.16 and a bit per skein. The shadow and gloss are both well below that in price and they are two/thirds of the collection.

Cynamar
05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I want them all, too, but I have never made lace and they would just be in my stash for awhile. Still, though, they are calling to me and begging to come home.

blueygh2
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
No one willing to buy the samplers for me and ship it to me? :teehee:

suziehomemaker
05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm actually planning a trip to London for October. Can you wait that long?

blueygh2
05-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure what london has to do with me, but I can wait as long as it takes :)
I've always been waiting, so there's no problem, and besides, maybe I'd have finished SOME of my projects until then, so that I could start working with some lace :)
(Planned two lace scarves, but in fingering weight)

suziehomemaker
05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I was thinking that shipping from London to "somewhere in Europe" would be cheaper than shipping from New York. :happydance:

I keep thinking that someone should open up a shipping service for people to order yarn from anywhere in the world . . . there's some yarn from Finland that I'm scouring the web for!

blueygh2
05-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure if I could get you some yarn from Finland, but I surely could get you some "bergere de france" yarn, if interested :D (I think it's 100% acrylic)

But shipping to the US, I've never done that, except some letters, but yarn would probably NOT fit into an envelope :D

Could be true that it's cheaper from the UK to europe, but I really don't know about that...

("Somewhere in europe" would be either Belgium or Luxembourg, if there is a difference in shipping cost)

msmelody
05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I live in England, but have an American military p o box, so I order from KnitPicks and others all the time. It takes about a week or so for things to arrive, but I do not have to pay customs or V.A.T. Let me know if you would like some help procuring things from the states.

Cynamar
05-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Isn't postage the same as sending within the states if you are sending it to a military base? I sent a 30-pound box of cookies to Baghdad for less than $20.

msmelody
05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes, sending to me is just like sending in the states, and now they have flat rate boxes that are even cheaper if they are going to an FPO APO box, then a regular address.

snowbear
05-18-2008, 12:38 AM
OK... Help.. I just got paid, I have the plastic, and I am alone..
The bills are paid.. and dang it I have extra... it's making me choose between the yarn for my granddaughter's afghan or a shawl from them..in light to dark colors in Wine..

Or, put the $ away to pay for a tank of gas...

HELP

*pacing back and forth in front of the computer.

annomalley
05-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I see the ads on this website and I go to Knit Picks and see the pretty colors and I am finding very, very, very, very, very hard to resist the temptation in buying some of this. :hair:

I'm trying to finish what I'm working on before buying more yarn. The operative word here is "try". :teehee:

Lisa R.
05-18-2008, 01:03 PM
It seems to me that KnitPicks needs a new photographer--the one they have is obviously way too good for our wallets!!!:rofl:

Knitnite
05-18-2008, 04:09 PM
My order of Knit Picks Sunset Picnic has SHIPPED!! :cheering: Not that anyone needs to be talked into it...but I am going to get a head start on some christmas gifts and make 6 beautiful lace scarves...cheap gifts right??? My first online order...I smell trouble $$ now!!

Plantgoddess+
05-18-2008, 06:16 PM
My order of Knit Picks Sunset Picnic has SHIPPED!! :cheering: Not that anyone needs to be talked into it...but I am going to get a head start on some christmas gifts and make 6 beautiful lace scarves...cheap gifts right??? My first online order...I smell trouble $$ now!!
Oh how wonderful! Lucky recipients.:woot:

suziehomemaker
05-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I just got back from a week of vacation with my extended family. I did visit a LYS while I was there and all I could think of was "these colors aren't nearly as nice as the Knit Picks lace samplers"!

I'm still holding strong but I think if I finish another project or two I'll feel better about purchasing one (or maybe all 4).