PDA

View Full Version : Sock Cast-on.....which do you use? >>

boo1
05-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I know a lot of ppl use long-tail. Just wondering if there were others that you sock knitters like.

Thanks in advance!

dustinac
05-14-2008, 03:38 PM
I always use the knitted on...unless it calls for a certain type of CO in the pattern for a decorative edge or something :thumbsup:

ETA: if it's toe up then I usually do the Figure 8 Cast (http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter02/FEATtiptoptoes.html)on or Judy's Magic Cast (http://knitty.com/issuespring06/FEATmagiccaston.html)on

knitgal
05-14-2008, 05:37 PM
I always use long-tail because it's stretchier and I find it easy.

Knitting_Guy
05-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I like the Olympic cast on. You stand across the room from the yarn and hurl the needle like a javelin into the yarn. :mrgreen:

Spokaloo
05-14-2008, 06:24 PM
I hear people talk about how the long-tail CO is stretchier, but I just don't like it! Mine stretches, but not enough to where I want to use it for socks.

Instead, I use the overhand CO where you loop the yarn around your index and middle fingers, slip the needle under it then slip the yarn off your fingers and onto the needle. It's not as strong and to get the maximum stretch, you have to space the stitches quite a ways apart. This makes working that first row a real pain, but I've always been happy with the results! If I have too much trouble getting the spacing between the stitches right, I will change to needles 2 sizes larger and do both the CO and the first row. I tried this same trick with the long-tail CO, but it didn't seem to make much difference!

Koehnae
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM
I use long-tail for cuff-down socks and the Judy's magic cast on for toe-up socks... unless the pattern calls for a specific other cast on.

Plantgoddess+
05-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I have always done long tail for top down socks. It works great for me. I need lots of stretch because I have thick calves.

GirlChris
05-14-2008, 11:04 PM
See it's responses and questions like these that are keeping me reading, I didn't even know there was more than one way to cast on.:aww: And now Knitting Guy has even shown me how to knit and burn calories at the same time too. LOL

redheadrachel
05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I really like using long-tail cast-on, but I cast-on over two needles so it's extra stretchy.

shortnsweetly
05-15-2008, 12:20 AM
I like the provisional cast on with the crochet hook. It looks nice and neat and all the stitches are even. And you don't get that little dip where you join your yarn. Its my favorite sock cast on

pvsduck
05-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I use the provisional cast on for cuff down. It's neat and even and I've never had a problem with it not being stretchy enough.

Crycket
05-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I do cabled cast on the most...and it is just cause it was what I learned first. I have only done Long Tail cast on once....and I haven't gotten the full hang of it yet....

boo1
05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I like the Olympic cast on. You stand across the room from the yarn and hurl the needle like a javelin into the yarn. :mrgreen:

Is there a book with pics of this? Or can you produce a YouTube vid for those of us who would really like to see how this works? :rofl: