PDA

View Full Version : Would you like something like this?

Eekee
05-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking about making some soap sacks for my kids' teachers and giving them with some nice soap. It'll be knit like a little sock, with sock yarn, and a ribbed opening at the top so it can be reused when the soap is gone. They bubble up really nicely and feel good on the skin.

Is this something you'd use in the bath, or do you think the teachers might just use the soap and throw away my precious knitting? :knitting:

CognizantAmiga
05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
As a teacher, I would be touched to recieve a personal gift like that. You never know what happens with a gift once it leaves your hands. But I am sure the teachers would appreciate the thought.

Wildfire
05-15-2008, 01:17 PM
As long as they knew what and how to use it, I think your precious piece of knitting will be safe. In fact, I think the mere fact that it came from you will be reason enough for them to keep it =)

Jan in CA
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, since you asked.. I probably wouldn't. Everyone can use a nice facecloth with some soap though.

SBG
05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Do you have a pattern? That sounds fun :) I mostly use body wash but if someone gave me one of those along with nice soap, I would give it a try.

Eekee
05-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I just started it like a toe-up sock and increased until there were 40 stitches. I knit in the round until the soap fit in, and did an inch of ribbing, and cast off. It took less than 2 hours.

It's pretty cute. But, I'm kind of with Jan. It's not something I'd make for myself, so I wondered if people would like it. I guess enough people would give it a shot. I'll enclose a little note explaining what it is.

losnana
05-15-2008, 05:49 PM
In your note, add that the soap can be replaced when used up. Oh, and I'd use it. I have something similar, but not a sock and not handknit. I use it every morning.

Knitting_Guy
05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Must be a girl thing, I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Aello
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I have done these as gifts before. They have been great little last minute gifts for me to take when visiting friends, etc. My Dad actually loved the one I made him so much, he called and asked for another. I usually included some yummy handmade (bought) soaps.
Thepattern I used is this one (http://jenniferhoel.wordpress.com/2006/05/08/quick-fix/).
I have used both cotton and microspun. I don't have pics of all, but they are here (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Aello/quick-fix-soap-holder) if interested.
I think that teachers would love the thoughtfulness of your gift. Happy knitting:knitting:

heatherg23
05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I think it's a great idea. Doing something different really makes that much more special.

Heather

Jen17
05-15-2008, 08:26 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Must be a girl thing, I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Hmmm, sorta a girly thing, but I think a guy would like it too...just picture a 3x3 baggy with a drawstring..you put a bar of soap in it. Then when in the shower/bath you use the whole thing to "soap up" with! Quite handy actually!

fireflyknitter
05-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't know if I would use it the way it's intended, but I wouldn't throw the little knit baggy away. I probably wouldn't know that the soap was supposed to stay in the sack unless someone told me. :figureditout:

Karina
05-16-2008, 05:33 AM
I love this idea, wish I had thought of it when I knitted a wash cloth for my sons teacher a week or two ago. I would definitely use something like this.

I always buy Loccitane soap so I am going to make myself one in a cotton yarn make an eyelet row at the top and insert an I-cord for hanging it up. Brilliant

pastrymama
05-18-2008, 09:24 PM
I made myself something similar to this, except I added a long rope to put it on like a necklace and I put my cellphone in it when I get home from work. I normally keep my phone in my briefcase at work because I mostly carry it just for emergency if I have car trouble. But my daughter kept getting mad at me because I would leave it in my case upstairs when I would get home, and if she tried to call me I wouldn't hear it ring. It doesn't have a clip, so I put it in my pants pocket and twice I put it through the laundry because I forgot it was there and had to get a new phone. So now I use my little necklace. I just tuck it into my blouse and it doesn't get in the way.

Knit4Fun
05-18-2008, 09:40 PM
What a lovely idea...what if you included a small note or tag indicating that you can use it with the soap in there? That way it will be clear that it can be used that way so if they want to use it like that, they can. Maybe something like: 'To enjoy, simply open the soap and insert in the soap sack - have a relaxing bath!'

Very thoughtful of you! :hug:

fireflyknitter
05-18-2008, 10:00 PM
what if you included a small note or tag indicating that you can use it with the soap in there? That way it will be clear that it can be used that way so if they want to use it like that, they can. Maybe something like: 'To enjoy, simply open the soap and insert in the soap sack - have a relaxing bath!'

I think this would be a great idea!