PDA

View Full Version : Between picking up stitches and sewing....

jijiewang
05-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Which one is the lesser of the two devils?

Since day one, I have been knitting sweaters seamless on cicular needles. But I would also like to try shoulder style that has to be knit in flat pieces. That means I have to sew or pick up stitches.

Can you tell me which one is easier for assember set-in sleeve shoulder?

Ingrid
05-15-2008, 10:34 PM
For the shoulder seam, 3-needle bind off is the best--it makes a beautiful, straight line.

For actually inserting the sleeves, sewing (mattress stitch) is best.

If you pick up stitches and knit the sleeves on, it may be easier, but will leave a line where you picked up the stitches on each edge. If the sweater is ribbed, you could get away with it, and I have done it in this case. If it's stockinette, I think it would detract from the look of the seam.

Crycket
05-16-2008, 01:00 AM
I just knit a sweater...and I did backstitch on the sleeves...was that a bad option?

Ingrid
05-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I just knit a sweater...and I did backstitch on the sleeves...was that a bad option?

If you like the way it looks, than it was the right option.

I never liked my seams and it prevented me from making sweaters--until I discovered mattress stitch.

Whatever works for the knitter is the right option.:thumbsup:

knitasha
05-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Backstitch is a tried-and-true technique that makes a nice firm seam but not a very flexible one. It's also fast and easy once you get the hang of it. But it makes a fairly thick seam. I wouldn't use for anything that needs to look thin and drape-y; I would definitely use it for a more substantial sweater.

So, as Ingrid says, if it looks good to you, it's right. Just be aware that there are alternatives that may work better in other situations.

Crycket
05-17-2008, 11:48 AM
so....what is the best seam for a sleeve with decreases? I love matress stitch and did it on the side seams...but when you are decreasing every 2-4 rows....matress stitch looks weird...

What is the best for that??