PDA

View Full Version : FO: Artlady's Central Park Hoodie

ArtLady1981
05-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Well, it is finally done! I sure had a devil of a time inserting the zipper on this CPH! I dunno :shrug: why I had such a hard time with it. After I ripped out the first zipper application...I just had to set the whole darn thing aside for a couple weeks. The other day, I had the motivation to give it one more try!

It still rippled a bit...but I pinned the thing down to the blocking board and misted the tar out of the zipper and ribbing, both sides...and left them til bone dry! That'll teach 'em a thing or two!

Today, I un-pinned them...and they cried UNCLE! UNCLE!
The zipper was finally tamed! :woot:

So here I am in my denim tweed Central Park Hoodie! We had a bit of sun today, so I ran out side...set up the camera and tripod...and got some photos! I didn't even time to put on any makeup for you! (Not even eyebrows!) Oh well...who's lookin'!? :teehee:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2070/2496020332_c0a3319a3d.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/2495197281_3a4ee30af8.jpg?v=0

What a dork! :eyes:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/2495197089_9eba181f50.jpg?v=0

Oh well, who cares!?? :eyebrow:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/2496021906_760e27fd3e.jpg?v=0

Karina
05-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Artlady that is a great looking cardigan, looks lovely and cosy, I want to wrap up in that. Well done for taming that zipper and showing it whos the boss.

KnittingNat
05-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Great job, zipper-tamer! It looks wonderful on you :thumbsup:

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-16-2008, 06:21 AM
It looks great and Your version makes me want to give in and make one of these... CPH

How many skeins did you use? I won't have any of the yarns recomended here where I live-- but, if I at least know 'an about' amount.. I can do a swatch and figure out what I have-- that will work and in enough skeins... (plus a skein or 2 just in case)

ritaw
05-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Looks great to me :)

Slim
05-16-2008, 07:40 AM
It's gorgeous! It fits you beautifully, too. You showed that zipper a thing or two.

redheadrachel
05-16-2008, 07:43 AM
It looks amazing, fits well, and you are adorable :muah:

auburnchick
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Awww, you're not a dork! You're the Knitting Guru!!!

It looks terrific on you!!! I'm always glad to see something that you've made for yourself. You are such a generous knitter...giving most of your projects away.

Wonderful job! Love the pictures!

knitgal
05-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Great sweater- and it fits you perfectly.

dustinac
05-16-2008, 08:51 AM
:inlove: very pretty! You did a great job! and your not a dork..I love that last picture too cute!

Pat in Ca
05-16-2008, 12:16 PM
What a gorgeous sweater..I absolutely LOVE the color...the finishing is so professional looking and the cables are so beautifull...I usually don't like hooded sweaters, and have seen this sweater without the hood (on ravelry), but it lays so nicely, I think I prefer it with the hood, but don't know if I would use the hood.. oh well.. I want to make this sweater someday, thank you for sharing..

Knit4Fun
05-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Beautiful work, as always...and you apparently don't need makeup or brows or anything - you look wonderful! Pretty colors too!!! :muah:

Jan in CA
05-16-2008, 12:56 PM
It's just beautiful!!

bambi
05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Beautiful work! And you look fine without makeup.

Bambi

slightly addicted to yarn
05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Both you and the hoodie look great - if you don't mind my asking, what yarn did you use? It's a lovely colour and looks really cosy x

MerigoldinWA
05-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I've followed your progress somewhat on this hoodie on your KAL. It turned out really nice. It sounds like the zipper was trying to get the better of you. I'm glad you won out. The tweedy blue is really nice. It looks great on you. You don't look like a dork. You look like a forest sprite. :-)

Indygirl
05-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Love that Hoodie! It looks great on you and you have a natural beauty, you don't need make up. :wink:
I really wanted to get in on this hoodie but, I got sidetracked. maybe next time :)

ArtLady1981
05-16-2008, 07:05 PM
It looks great and Your version makes me want to give in and make one of these... CPH

How many skeins did you use? I won't have any of the yarns recomended here where I live-- but, if I at least know 'an about' amount.. I can do a swatch and figure out what I have-- that will work and in enough skeins... (plus a skein or 2 just in case)

I used 12 skeins of Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed in color 09 blue. It is still available at www.yarn.com (http://www.yarn.com). You get a 25% discount off the per ball price when you are spending $120 in your cart.
You probably already know that. WEBS offers a lot of yarns that say "discountable". Then there are yarns that are already reduced, and they say "no further discount".

There is a discrepancy about the yardage in my yarn. The ballband doesn't say how many yards are in each ball. However, search engines say 97 yds. I dunno if I trust that. If that is the case, my size 46 only took 1,164 yds. But, another search I found said that this yarn has 122 yds per ball. If that is correct, then I used a total of 1,464 yds...which is more reasonable.

Anyhoo, I did use 12 skeins of this particular yarn. AND I LOVE THIS YARN! You will, too!

HERE IS A LINK (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/4114/) to the yarn I used. Shown as $9.95 per skein...but only $7.46 with that 25% discount. I remember buying 20...scared that I wouldn't have enough. Now I have 8 left over...but that's okay.
I have plans for it!
Below is the yardage that the pattern says you need:
Finished Size: Sizes 32 (36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60)" bust.
Yarn: Tahki Donegal Tweed (100% wool; 183 yd (167 m)/110 g): #803 yellow-green OR #869 dark-taupe (brown): 6 (7, 8, 9, 10, 16, 18, 20) skeins.
Gauge: 17 sts and 24 rows = 4" in St st on larger needles.

DB

ArtLady1981
05-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Both you and the hoodie look great - if you don't mind my asking, what yarn did you use? It's a lovely colour and looks really cosy x

DEBBIE BLISS Donegal Luxury Tweed! LOVED IT!
CLICK HERE (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/4114/) to see the yarn at www.yarn.com...and this is the place I bought mine. They are wonderful to do business with, and they give a 25% discount if your cart has $120 of discountable yarns in it.:woot:

There is also a DEBBIE BLISS Aran Tweed.
And another good yarn is JO SHARP Silkroad Aran Tweed!

MerigoldinWA
05-16-2008, 07:16 PM
ArtLady,

I had wondered if the discounts at WEBS meant you had to buy $60.00 (for the 20% off) or $120.00 (for the 25% off) of one kind of yarn, or maybe even all one color. But you're saying it is for everything in your cart, mix and match? That's better. And I may take them up on that sometime. (Soon?) But what about all that stash yarn sitting in yarn prison? Too bad. LOL

McKnitty
05-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Beautiful work! You were SO brave taming that zipper. I'm scared of zippers. They are right up there with spiders IMHO.

GirlChris
05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
that is just gorgeous. How long did that take you to make? That would take me a very long time.

mks22300
05-16-2008, 11:10 PM
It looks wonderful! Your work always impresses me. :)

winterblues
05-17-2008, 12:47 AM
That's lovely! A job well done. :woohoo:

ArtLady1981
05-17-2008, 01:41 AM
ArtLady,

I had wondered if the discounts at WEBS meant you had to buy $60.00 (for the 20% off) or $120.00 (for the 25% off) of one kind of yarn, or maybe even all one color. But you're saying it is for everything in your cart, mix and match? That's better. And I may take them up on that sometime. (Soon?) But what about all that stash yarn sitting in yarn prison? Too bad. LOL

Well, here is a way to test it: dump $60 of Yarn A into the cart...and $60 of Yarn B in the cart...then click check out. It will take you to a pre-check-out screen (no commitment)...and your discount is shown right there.

I got the discount last Fall...buying two separate batches of yarn...neither came up to the $120 by themselves...but together they came to $120...and I got the 25% discounts! BOY!!! I sure loved that!!!

I think there is a discount for a $60 order, too.

Today, I had forgotten how the discounts go...so I did a test shopping cart! Saw the 25% on the next screen. But, didn't check out afterall.

I was looking for some charcoal tweed for a cardigan for my brother...but, in the end...I rummaged my stash...and found the perfect charcoal tweed (JoSharp Silkroad Dk Tweed) and 12 skeins...about 1800 yards!!! WhooHooo! I forget why I bought it several years ago. I guess I was saving it for Ricky. :teehee:

He came by today to show me his blueprints for a BIG KITCHEN REMODEL he landed...and he saw my blue CPH tweed hoodie, and ooooed and ahhhhed over it. I've never knit a sweater for him...but I'm gonna have one done for him by Fall. I spent the evening rummaging my pattern books, and found a perfect cardigan. Simple, and masculine, and a twisted rib throughout. It will show up good with the tweediness of the yarn. That JoSharp Silkroad DK Tweed is 20st=4"...and besides wool, it has silk and cashmere.
I made an Elsebeth Lavold Viking Knits pullover (eggplant) several years ago. Loved working with it! Rick seems to like the softness of my CPH.

Til later!

Knit on Good Women!

redheadrachel
05-17-2008, 01:52 AM
You're essentially one of my knitting heroes :)

ArtLady1981
05-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I think I prefer it with the hood, but don't know if I would use the hood..

I use hoods when we go to the movies. :thumbsup: The air-conditioning in our theaters can really BLOWWWWWW! I hunker down inside my big ole hood and enjoy the movie!

ArtLady1981
05-17-2008, 11:45 AM
that is just gorgeous. How long did that take you to make? That would take me a very long time.

The actual knitting, blocking and seaming took 30 days...with a few other projects were crammed in that time span.

It's a really easy knit...and I recommend this pattern for a first-time cabled garment.

You may not have a lot of time each day to work on your knitting...but if you start now...you may have it for Fall/Winter! :thumbsup:

My CPH is done...but I won't get to wear it til Fall...unless I go to the movies and need it for protection from the air-conditioning, which at my theater, is like a hurricane! :teehee:

Debkcs
05-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Lovely job, again! You are an inspiration to those of us who just kind of putter along with our knitting. I've taken your advice and have started a journal of what I am doing from the beginning to the end of my project.

BTW, you can have some of my eyebrows. :eyebrow:

Cynamar
05-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I love that pattern! You did a great job on it. The color looks good on you. Here's a pat on your back!!!

missmom31
05-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Well done, Artlady! Do you have any plans for another KAL ?? xx fingers crossed xx You are a inspiration to me and I am so impressed with your knowledge, expertise and willingness to share with us. Thanks again! :woot: Patty

Jen17
05-17-2008, 08:59 PM
what a beautiful sweater! I made a hoodie sweater for my granddaughter..now I need to make one of these for me!

Knitting_Guy
05-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Beautiful work (and model). Great job! :thumbsup:

dawnk777
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Wow, that looks warm and cozy! Great job! I'm glad you got the zipper in, and looking nice!

ArtLady1981
05-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Well done, Artlady! Do you have any plans for another KAL ?? xx fingers crossed xx You are a inspiration to me and I am so impressed with your knowledge, expertise and willingness to share with us. Thanks again! :woot: Patty

Hi Miss Patty! :waving:

I've been thinking about hosting another KAL...but, for now...I am working on a mid-calf coat for myself, then have two more baby sets to knit for Elaine's new baby boy (due in July/shower in August)...and then a tweed sweater for my brother. The patterns are not free patterns, nor are they available as a PDF internet download.

I would like a KAL pattern to be something everyone has access to.

I will be gone for a week in June, July and August...our wilderness weeks...so I dunno if a summertime KAL is possible when I'm gonna go off the radar for a week at a time throughout summer.

But, let me put on my thinking cap...and see if I can come up with a pattern that I personally want to do...and that others will want to do, too! I don't want it to be too complicated...it's hard to teach without sitting next to you...but I also want it to be an "expanding your skills" project, too!

Thanks for asking Patty! You're sweet! :hug:

The short answer is YES. I will be hosting another KAL.
I just don't know WHAT or WHEN. But, definitely in 2008.

missmom31
05-18-2008, 10:52 PM
It sounds like your knitting needles will be flying all summer!! I am certain that all of your projects will be flawless. It does make sense for you to "clear your board" of knitting projects before taking on another KAL and to enjoy your summer retreats. I look forward to doing another KAL with you at the helm. Maybe I will get my CPH done in time to join in. I am fortunate enough to live close to Webs and am taking a summer knitting class there that will teach about knitting a cardigan, but the main focus of the class is on the finishing, with which I sorely need help. With your kind permission, I will continue to ask my many questions of you as I knit the CPH...I am on the second sleeve now...we are nearing the finish line! Patty

Hygiene Mama
05-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Beautiful!

ArtLady1981
05-19-2008, 03:42 AM
It sounds like your knitting needles will be flying all summer!! I am certain that all of your projects will be flawless. It does make sense for you to "clear your board" of knitting projects before taking on another KAL and to enjoy your summer retreats. I look forward to doing another KAL with you at the helm. Maybe I will get my CPH done in time to join in. I am fortunate enough to live close to Webs and am taking a summer knitting class there that will teach about knitting a cardigan, but the main focus of the class is on the finishing, with which I sorely need help. With your kind permission, I will continue to ask my many questions of you as I knit the CPH...I am on the second sleeve now...we are nearing the finish line! Patty

Oh yes, please do post your CPH questions! I will check in everyday til the last CPH is done! The only time I can't check in is when we are off the radar. :eyebrow:

I am excited to see all the new CPH's!

You will never ever regret what you learn in a Finishing Techniques class! I took one a few years ago...and BOY! I learned sooo much. I took it for a few things that interested me...buttonholes, etc...but I learned some stuff I didn't even know I didn't know! The appearance of my finished garments improved 200%!

Let me know what you learn!

And I am green with envy that you live close to WEBS! So do Amy and Sheldon!

WandaT
05-19-2008, 07:37 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! it looks fabulous!!!

YouCantBuyThisMovement
05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh it is so very pretty I love it. :heart:

Ronda
05-22-2008, 07:56 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: You know what I think of you and your knitting! Love it, as usual. You're amazing.