PDA

View Full Version : Good Book for Beginners

McKnitty
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a kazillion knitting books, but I need a good crochet book. I'm hoping to get one book that covers everything (is that even possible?).

I've been looking at Visual Quick Tips Crochet, and A to Z of Crochet. BTW - I have to have good pictures to go by.

If this has already been discussed in another thread, please point me in that direction. I don't want to wear out my welcome!

blueygh2
05-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I went to LYS and asked for a book about crocheting for beginners, and she showed me a book that explained various stitches, used throughout the book, ...
The things in the book are not really appealing to me, (like something to put your cellphone in, melons and strawberries,...) but it's good to learn some new stitches, so I bought it.
I don't know the name of the book though (don't have it here right now...)

I haven't had a chance to go through it yet, because I have some other projects with higher priority going on, but I told myself that I would crochet through that book at least once, just to learn the different techniques used.

Rabbitrescuer
05-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm not too sure about books but I got an interactive CD-Rom at Joanns that's really nice. It's called Crochet Made Easy. It has basic stitches, special stitches, reading patterns, gauge, changing colors, adding new yarn, etc. Also includes 20 patterns ranging from beginner to intermediate.

mathwizard
05-16-2008, 06:54 PM
I am working on my Master's program for the crochet guild. I have several books that I am using and my favorites are really two:
Crochet Stitch Bible by Betty Barnden
and The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques by Jan Eaton. I have the visual tips book but the ones used most often by me when I need to know something are the two I mention above.

hydeemarie
05-22-2008, 02:17 PM
stitch n' bitch happy hooker! loves it much!!! it tells you the stitches with diagrams as well as circles, joining in the round, and pompoms! some sample stitches and ton of patterns! definitly worth it!

ptms06
05-23-2008, 12:30 PM
nexstitch.com is a great way to learn alot of the basic stitches and some fancy stitches. i have also used crochet made easy it really helps. you also might want to try to go to your local library and see if they have a class for knitting and crocheting. hopes this helps. :)

i do know two books, the complete book of crochet stitch designs and ready set crochet