PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Oprah's clothes?

figaro
05-16-2008, 05:08 PM
As I am watching todays episode (5.16.08), she is doing a show on her favorite summer things and while a few of the things are nice, the price tag is a bit much for me($165 for a medium sized bag?). But what is she wearing? It looks like a muu-muu! Isn't the summer at least about wearing some shorter pants (shorts for some, capris for others) and the top is just outrageous! Big orange top with sleeves that hang down to her waist maybe? I don't get it? Most of the time, I really like what she wears, but not so today.

fireflyknitter
05-16-2008, 06:00 PM
a few of the things are nice, the price tag is a bit much for me($165 for a medium sized bag?).

I didn't see oprah but I always wondered about this... when shows do their little blurb on fashion and they show a dress and they say something like, "it's so beautful, and affordable too! This dress is only $300!"

I guess I'm a little fashion challenged. :rofl:

figaro
05-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I in that club too! They were talking about some makeup and the low end of the price was something like $65, for makeup! I shop at Target, I find it hard to pay $10 for mascara.

fireflyknitter
05-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Same here, I rarely wear makeup so I find it hard to swallow to cough up much money for something I know I'm not going to use very often!

ArtLady1981
05-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Oprah left the REAL WORLD a lonnnng lonnnng time ago, it's obvious. Her Favorite Things programs gag me.

She is obviously 'playing to' folks in her own league (or just below it) It's kind of insulting to most Americans.

But then, I never liked "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" series (with Robin Leach) either. It was almost embarrassing to watch. You think to yourself..."If people in other countries see this...what in the world will they think of Americans? Will we appear to be shallow, materialistic people? Will they think we are all like that?" But then on the other hand, what is worse: having $2,000 for a handbag, or envying the people who do? I think those programs are designed to foster covetousness and discontent. I'm grateful for my 1400 sq ft home...and I don't want to watch a program that flaunts homes where the master bathroom is 1400 sq ft...like that is somehow an better way of life!

I have been noticing that Oprah has been gaining weight again...hey, who cares?...and her choice of clothing is reflective of that.

She's over 50...and looking it. Good for her, right!?? :teehee: How refreshing...to see a 50 yr old celebrity that doesn't look 25! That is one REAL THING about her.

I loved her ROAD TRIP ACROSS AMERICA a couple years ago. And that thing where her and Gayle camped out with some FRONTIER VILLAGE PIONEERS.

What a hooot!

Karina
05-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Artlady don't worry we normal people that live in the real world know people are not like that unless they slightly obsessed.

There was a girl on Big Brother 1 or 2 years ago that was obsessed with posh spice and dressed like her had her hair cut like her etc. She saw a pair of Jeans for something like 300 that Posh Spice owned and lied to her adoptive mother that she needed some kind of operation and her mum gave her the money and she then went and bought the jeans. Complete madness. I go the Marks and Spencer and buy a pair of jeans for 12 maybe go to 30 if I really like them but that is absolute my limit. Although I have to admit that I have bought just over 100 worth of yarn and other knitting related goods this month.

Anyway that have nothing to do with Oprah. I used to watch her years ago. But I think her shows changed and became slightly self obsessed so I lost interest.

Cynamar
05-17-2008, 08:48 AM
I rent a 600-square-feet home so I hear ya!

knitgal
05-17-2008, 08:58 AM
I think the main thing is that most people cannot afford these luxury items, but it seems like our society wants us to try. That's the culture now, materialism. My cousins that are 16 and younger are disgustingly materialistic. They are the "me" generation. They have more than one iPod, they have cell phones, they have their OWN computers, they have the brand name clothing etc. I didn't have these things and I'm only 22.

Oprah's show just shows why people are so self-centered and materialistic these days. Apparently we should want to spend $300 on jeans and not blink. We all have our little luxuries, personally mine is good quality foundation and cover-up from Prescriptives...and shoes. Now some people might find us a little crazy for spending hundreds of dollars on yarn, but that's different....right?

Silver
05-17-2008, 09:02 AM
I love her Favorite Things shows. I really do. I like seeing all the little things she picks out (or is paid to pick out). I loved the $100+ weekender bag on wheels, really cute. But I'm not going to run out and buy one. I know that that style will be out soon enough at Target for us normal folks, and then I'll be delighted to buy one for $30.

I just don't get annoyed when rich people lose sight of things. It happens. It happens to us normal people too, but on a smaller scale. You might think that buying a $5 latte at Starbucks "no big deal", but trust me there are lots of people who see that as a flagrant and irresponsible spending of money just like Oprah spending $2000 on a purse. It's all perspective. I have a comfortable amount of money, so I can afford to spend 2 or 3 hundred on a purse. Oprah has tons of money, she can afford to spend 2, 3 or even 10 thousand on a purse. Same thing, IMHO. And whats more is that Oprah worked her way up from squalor to get where she is now. So I'm not gonna scoff at her when she spends her moolah. :)

But that orange moomoo was horrendous. Maybe her stylist is on vacay. :ick:

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I only see Oprah 'once in a while' during the summer-- since, I'm not living in the states right now...

but, the one thing that has started to bother me about her is... she has these guests on that are 'experts' in some field or something and she constantly interrupts them... to push her point of view, to finish what they (the experts) are trying to say or share w/ someone... and keep in mind- I've only seen her show a few times in the past several years... but, I've noticed her doing that a lot on the shows that I've seen.

We have a saying in the south: She's getting to big for her britches. (and thinks she knows as much or more than her guest experts)...:wink:

Knitting_Guy
05-17-2008, 09:49 AM
What is an Oprah?

Silver
05-17-2008, 10:03 AM
... and she constantly interrupts them.
I do notice that about her too, and it's not just with experts. During yesterday's Favorite Things show, at one point, she interrupted someone (I don't remember who), and Gayle told Oprah "he was talking!" So I imagine she interrupts people all the time. Good for Gayle for calling her out on it. I know several people who interrupt too, and it's so annoying!

ArtLady1981
05-17-2008, 12:09 PM
What is an Oprah?

A backwards HARPO! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
05-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey Silver! :waving:

Yeah, I hear ya! You are right. The amount of money different people spend on different things is all relative. That's for sure.

And, whereas we live in a smallish house, I do manage to spend an inordinate amount of money on yarn, needles and thingamabobs! And, on office equipment (but a write-off for business! ;) )

Oprah's Favorite Things does promote a lot of neat gadgets and electronics. I don't watch Oprah anymore, however, I've landed on Favorite Things twice...and I like the introduction of new gadgets and electronics. However, I don't watch for the program. I don't need any incentive to go out and get a new gadget. :eyes: I'm bad enough as it is!

I try to be the verrrrry last person in my community who has 'the new gadget'...and trrrrrryyyy to wait and see if I will really use it!
Recently got my first PDA...it was free through my husbands safety points at work...and I'm trying hard to make it useful! I can say, if I had spent the $450 for it...I'd be feeling very :hair:. It's technology is above my needs. But, I am using it to a small degree.

Debkcs
05-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't watch her, but did notice that after all that work, she's gaining the weight back that she lost. Maybe the orange muumuu was to cover all that up.

figaro
05-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I understand her wanting to hide some weight that she may have gained but to hide it behind a big ugly orange muu-muu? Alls that did for me was to call attention to the possible weight gain, it kind of brought more attention to it.

Cynamar
05-17-2008, 05:22 PM
She can't keep it off. It's like she's just meant to be a certain size and fighting it isn't working.

Knit4Fun
05-18-2008, 09:51 AM
It's funny...DH and I were talking about this same sort of topic - how when people have a lot of money, some people get upset with them when they use it for themselves (e.g. nice house, fancy clothes, etc.) - I think that people who EARN their money and make a lot are fantastic as long as they use some of their earnings to make a difference in the world.

Yeah, it is sad to me personally that some people will pay hundreds of dollars for jeans or makeup - but I cannot fault Oprah too much because she does a lot of good as well. Many other stars could take a lesson from her.

It's not about what you make or have...it's how you use it. I think people who make minimum wage but still give 50 cents a week at church or to causes they believe in are just as noble if not moreso.

Okay...off my soapbox and back to knitting... :teehee:

lactosefree
05-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Just to address the original posting - the shirt she wore on the show was a modern dashiki (African shirt).

annomalley
05-18-2008, 03:07 PM
If I had a ton of money like Oprah does, and I could drop 2 grand on a purse, I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it. I would feel so horribly guilty for spending $2000 on a purse. Not to mention, I would feel really foolish for spending that much on a purse when I could get one that looked just like it for a fraction of the cost. I guess I'm just way to practical.

Now if it came down to yarn, I don't think I would have a problem dropping 2 grand on yarn. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
05-19-2008, 04:06 AM
I've been thinking about this thread for a couple days...and I think I should revise my original statement a little bit:

I guess I don't really care how OPRAH, or anyone else, spends their money, whether that be a LOT of money, or a LITTLE money. It's their business, and not mine to opinionate about.

But, it does rub me a little bit the wrong way ("gags me" was too harsh) when folks 'flaunt' their spending choices, lifestyle, 'things', etc.

This world of ours has such a range of lifestyles. I mean, you can't even call some "lifestyles" a 'style' at all. So many folks can hardly keep a 'life'...let along a 'style'.

It just somehow seems so shallow to be oooing and ahhhing over 'things', like those things were of any real importance.

Don't get me wrong. As an American, I have my load of STUFF that is NOT important to 'existence'. Just fluff and frills. My house is crammed with non-essentials.

And to give OPRAH credit, she has lots of programming that is fun, useful, and just plain delightful. She is a very nice hardworking woman!

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents for tonight, for what little its worth! :eyes:

feministmama
05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
For your information it is not a mumu it is a traditional African called a Dashiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashiki

dustinac
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I really like her favorite shows...last year one of the things she showed was Havaianas sandals...they range in all different prices and I ordered me a pair...the best flip flops ever...you dont' have to try and keep them on your feet, you can walk up hills, and they are very comfy...

Also, on Oprah she has talked about a thyroid condition and the problem it has with her weight...I like her show and still find her as down to earth as Oprah can be... :teehee:

figaro
05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't want people thinking that I care if she is thin or fat, I really don't. As long as she is healthy it is fine with me. Its not like I am a size 4 or anything close to it!:teehee: And the point I was trying to make about the shirt is that it made her look bigger, that was it. It does not matter to me if it is a muu-muu or a dashiki or anything other type of shirt, it just made her look bigger than she is. The thing about her money is I think she tends to forget that most of the people that are watching her show can't really afford her favorite things. I would be much more impressed with them if they were more affordable for the average person out there.

Just had to clarify a few things there...:happydance:

Cynamar
05-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Her weight does not bother me, either.

ArtLady1981
05-19-2008, 10:24 PM
I heard rumors that she and Steadman are broke up. That's just a rumor, right? I heard it several months ago, and wrote it off as gossip. Is it true?

Some women, not all, when they are experiencing a lot of STRESS...either gain weight or lose weight.

That got me to thinking about the rumor.

figaro
05-20-2008, 07:43 AM
From what has said on the in the past few weeks (I think), it was another rumor. Every now and then, she addresses the rumors on the show just to set everyone straight.