PDA

View Full Version : Good Cotton and Bad Cotton????

gingergal4l8r
05-18-2008, 12:50 AM
I wanted to make a tank top for the summer.
Now this is my dilemma...

I am not sure what kind of cotton yarn to use. I am really not even familiar with it only to make dishcloths which is 100%. I started a project for a child summer dress, and figured she was not even going to be able to stand after I knit it as it was so heavy.

What yarn inexpensive and expensive are out there for your likings.
I am hoping there is something good out there.

princessbonniejane
05-18-2008, 12:53 AM
lilly and cream, I really like sugar and cream they have sugar and cream twist and sugar and cream naturals. Hope this helps

gingergal4l8r
05-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Where do you find that yarn?
the closest yarn store is 1 1/2 hours away. We have the walmart and zellers thing happening ,but I never find anything in there that I like.

paiva
05-18-2008, 08:56 AM
...we where I live we have an "A.C. Moore" crafts and you can also get it at "Michaels" crafts. But you're in Canada...how about their website?
http://www.sugarncream.com/
The Lily Sugar and Cream I think is the BEST!
I made an ENTIRE sweater out of it once (granted I had to buy like 15 skeins) but recently I noticed they put out a huge skein that's about $11.....I use this yarn for everything from sweaters to dishcloths to reusable shopping bags...you just toss it in the washer and dryer and no worries! :)

annomalley
05-18-2008, 09:41 AM
One thing to keep in mind with 100% cotton for garments is that pure cotton is not elastic (i.e. the fiber doesn't "spring" back when stretched. Wool is elastic and springs back when you stretch it.), and your garment may stretch out of shape after awhile. Some people have had no problems using 100% cotton to make garments, but others have had problems with the FO stretching after awhile. You could probably solve this by using a cotton blend or adjusting gauge if you had to.

Have you looked at Knitpicks.com? They sell cotton and cotton blend yarns. I'm knitting a sweater out of Shine Worsted. It's a cotton blend, and I really like it so far. I think you can also get either Sugar and Cream or Lily and Cream at Herrschnerr's.com (They sell one of these brands, but I don't remember which one off the top of my head).

Cynamar
05-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Knitpicks also has a gorgeous new cotton/linen blend.

Lisa R.
05-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I haven't really advanced to garments much, but apparently you need to have a cotton blend, as 100% is too heavy and has no "give." A cotton blend is recommended for garments.

mwhite
05-18-2008, 11:04 AM
I made a tank top from 100% (Lionbrand) figuring that it would be nice and cool...NOT! Made another from 51% cotton 49% acrylic (TLC Cotton Plus) thinking it would be cooler...NOT! So, my suggestion is to use a blend of cotton with silk or some other fiber than acrylic. Or if you go with a laceweight or fingering weight 100% cotton, it might be lightweight and cool, using small needles.

Debkcs
05-18-2008, 11:50 AM
This thing with cotton yarn has been a continual problem for me. I like to make dishcloths to gift people with, but in my own home they become rather smelly, even after being washed in hot water; friends I've asked have said the same thing. Any suggestions?

On to garments, it's just a 'me' thing, but I really don't like acrylics, and the cottons are just too heavy. Thanks for mentioning 'Twist', I may give that a try, but if any of you can tell me a good dishcloth yarn, or what to do to keep mine from smelling bad, I'd be grateful!

Jan in CA
05-18-2008, 11:55 AM
This thing with cotton yarn has been a continual problem for me. I like to make dishcloths to gift people with, but in my own home they become rather smelly, even after being washed in hot water; friends I've asked have said the same thing. Any suggestions?

:?? The only thing I can think that would make them smelly is if they have a problem drying. I found that when I make them too dense they don't dry well and would do that. I make them with a larger needle (8 I think) and they dry much better. I also change them at least every few days.

fireflyknitter
05-18-2008, 11:56 AM
What about Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece? I haven't used it but it looks lovely and I've heard nice things about it. I wouldn't use sugar and creme or peaches and creme for a garment personally, it would be so heavy!

gingergal4l8r
05-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. As I expected I would get lots of suggestions. I now have to try all these suggestions and find my own likings.
Every time I saw the calling for cotton, I backed away as I was unsure. So thanks again and I will let you know how I make out.

Cheers

Debkcs
05-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Jan, we put out new kitchen 'cottons' every night. When I pull these things out of the dryer, they are still funky. I may go up a size or two on the needle and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Plantgoddess+
05-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I have shopped at this site and am happy with the yarn I have purchased from them. They are also a Canadian company so it may save on shipping. They have an extensive bargain bin of yarn and tons of free patterns. They have a number of summer tops patterns that I found attractive. Their prices are also very reasonable and they have a variety of cotton and blend yarns.
http://www.elann.com/

MerigoldinWA
05-18-2008, 06:59 PM
There are several cotton/acrylic blends that look pretty nice. I have some made by Red Heart even and I knitted some of it up and it looked nice. I got side tracked from that project and don't know how it really washes etc, but I think it might be okay.

I realize it may not be as cool when worn as some other blends, but I don't live in a humid climate, and think it might work here for summer things. At least for spring stuff. And it is cheap enough that I think I would try it for a tank top.

Jan in CA
05-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Jan, we put out new kitchen 'cottons' every night. When I pull these things out of the dryer, they are still funky. I may go up a size or two on the needle and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

That's very odd.. maybe try some vinegar or baking powder in the wash.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-19-2008, 07:23 AM
To my mind, the BEST cotton for summer wear is King Tut Egyptian cotton.

It is a little pricey, but Littleknits has it on sale.

I have made several tops with it and it is lovely to work with and doesn't seem to grow as much as other cottons do. It has a beautiful sheen and the colors are amazing.

I have two huge tubs of it in many colors. My life would be very sad if I ever ran out of King Tut!

paiva
05-19-2008, 07:39 AM
ALMOST FORGOT.........
Blue Sky Alpaca makes a GREAT organic cotton!!!

--PAIVA

mwhite
05-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Deb, I noticed the same thing when we moved from town and a public, treated water system to the country and well water. This might have something to do with it and I solved the problem by adding 1/4 cup of bleach to my dishwater...we also add a gallon of bleach to our well water every couple of months. It's different than a submersed pump, ours is hand dug so simple for us to do this and it keeps our well water nice and clear/ free of bacteria. Our local water treatment plant in the city, tested the well water for us and told us what we needed to do.

Jan in CA
05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Interesting, Mary. That never even crossed my mind. No one has well water so I'd never heard of it!

McKnitty
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Cotton has a tendency to stretch when you wear it. My LYS suggested a cotton/acrylic blend since I didn't want to hand wash and I was concerned about stretching. I haven't tried the yarn yet, but it is called Jeannee from Plymouth (51% cotton, 49% acrylic). It is soft and the colors are so pretty! Has anyone else used this yarn?

http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cYarn.yarnDetail&yarnid=000252&searchcollection=000005

VictoiseC
05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Just noticed Joann's is having a big sale on their cotton yarns....

rissa
05-19-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm using KnitPicks Crayon yarn which is a 100% pima cotton boucle yarn for a Baby Surprise Jacket. Its very light weight and knits at a smaller gauge than Sugar and Cream. It doesn't seem to stretch alot, that I've noticed so far.

The one thing that I've noticed with it is the ball band says the gauge is 5.5 stitches to the inch with size 5 or 6 needles. I needed to go down to a size 2 needle with it to get that gauge. The boucle bumps just don't want to seem to tighten up properly to the needle for me. I thought it'd be a pain on size 2's but its actually working up very well and I really like the fabric it makes.
Hope that helps!