PDA

View Full Version : Ott Lights

Knit4Fun
05-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi friends,

I was just over at our local JoAnn's yesterday (it's an okay store but lacks a lot of the variety and quantity of many of the other ones but the sales are good) and I saw that they have Ott lights on clearance for $29.97. I don't know much about them except that they give natural light for crafting to reduce eyestrain, but I wondered if y'all have them and use them?

I can see the use for with a sewing machine that doesn't have a light or if you craft in a dim or windowless room but I wonder about the use for knitting - I mean, it isn't like you can set it up easily for couch sitting if you knit while watching TV or take it with you everywhere you go...is it a worthwhile investment?

Generally, my eyes are okay except they get a little strained when I work on teeny sock yarn.

Thoughts?

mathwizard
05-18-2008, 09:19 AM
I use one whenever I knit or crochet. I especially use it for my embroidery and needlepoint. I use both hands and can't take my work outside as I wouldn't want to get anything on it especially bird poop,lol. I know it can happen. I like the natural light given off by it. I have on that attaches to my embroidery stand or can sit on a table. Even windows don't give enough light.

Cougar1
05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
I bought one of their lightbulbs that screw into a regular lamp...I can unscrew it and take it downstairs and put it in the lamp when I knit down there till I can get another to keep in both places. I like it.

Wanda Witch
05-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I have three Ott lights and love them. One clamps onto my sewing machine cabinet, the other is free standing which is great as it can be moved from place to place, and the newest is a floor-type model. The light is the closest thing, I feel, to natural lighting. I am pretty lucky in this house as we have a kitchen that has a partial glass roof and I can knit there in the good daylight, but come the heat of summer (Dallas), even with the a/c going full-bore I will be forced to move to the family room and use one of my Ott lights. I really recommend them.

Debkcs
05-18-2008, 11:59 AM
We have one, and I'm about to buy the floor lamp style, my DH keeps stealing the table top one for his miniature painting. I didn't know that you could get a bulb to screw into a regular socket. Makes sense,though.

BTW, that is a great price.

Knit4Fun
05-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Hmmm...sounds like it might be a worthwhile addition to my crafting supplies.

I finally got my yarn totally organized this weekend too...I got two of those hanging (from a closet bar) sweater organizers so most of my yarn is now in them - it looks SO much better and now I can find everything!

Mirl56
05-18-2008, 05:30 PM
I got a floor stand model years ago when I was mostly cross stitching. Past 2 yrs or so I'm most knitting. I have it next to 'my' chair in the living room and use it every day - whether I'm reading, knitting, crocheting, or occassionally fall back into cross stitch. I love it - don't know what I'd do w/out it.

Doodknitwit
05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I bought one of their lightbulbs that screw into a regular lamp...I can unscrew it and take it downstairs and put it in the lamp when I knit down there till I can get another to keep in both places. I like it.

me too!!:blooby:

snowbear
05-18-2008, 09:50 PM
It shows the colors so much better. It helped me see if the 2 yarns really matched or were different. It makes a huge difference w/ colors. Mine is always beside my spot to knit.

kellyh57
05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Does anyone else use these in the store to see if the yarns match? I've noticed yarns that don't match when I got home one too many times. Now, if I'm shopping at Michaels or JoAnn that have an Ott display, I take it over there and double check. Just thought I'd throw that tip out there! (No dye lot, my butt!)

I don't personally own a light yet, but I've thought about it when I see them cheap. One of these days. My kids are still in the "break everything nice" stage so I need to wait a little while.

Kelly

Knit4Fun
05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Okay, you all wore me down with all the nice talk about the Ott light and how great it is...I went and bought one. And you are RIGHT! Wow...my eyes sincerely thank you!!! :muah:

And best of all...the cats are afraid of it so maybe just maybe they will leave my knitting ALONE from now on...okay, wishful thinking...I know...:teehee: