PDA

View Full Version : Dishcloth Edges

McKnitty
05-19-2008, 10:43 AM
The past two weeks I have been on a dishcoth knitting frenzy and I can't seem to stop! It is almost instant gratification since it doesn't take very long to knit a dishcloth, and it is a lot of fun.

However, since I'm new to dishcloths, is it normal for the sides to be not-exactly-staight? I have knit some of the dishcloths with garter stitch edges and the others are crochet edges. I've tried to make a special effort not to knit or crochet the edges too tightly, but the edges still aren't exactly straight and some of the crochet edges even flare out ever-so-slightly.

Most of the dishcloths I've seen (even in the pattern books) don't look like exact squares to me, so is this just the way dishcloths are, or is there something I can do to improve the edges?

BTW - I did try washing and blocking the dishcloths, which did seem to improve the edges, but only a little!

dustinac
05-19-2008, 10:53 AM
My mom likes perfect square dishrags...she will even iron and pin hers...she found this pattern (http://onecatpurring.blogspot.com/2008/03/free-pattern.html)and really likes how it turns out...:thumbsup:

katknit
05-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, sometimes they come out a little wonky. I get different results using the same pattern with different yarn.