PDA

View Full Version : What are these?

heatherg23
05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi,

I had a question about something that came with my knitpicks order for interchangable needles. I got what looks like 4 large buttons. There are no instructions and I don't know what they are for. Does anyone know what they are?

I'm ticked because they gave me something OTHER than what I ordered. I asked for 32 inch cable and they gave me 2, 21 inch cables. I forgot to ask them what they were for when I told them about my order.

Thanks
Heather

LadyB
05-19-2008, 03:31 PM
They are caps to screw onto the end of the cable when you take off the needle. They are used to keep the yarn from coming off the cable.

Knitting_Guy
05-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Those caps are great! They allow you to remove the needles and keep the work on the cable, use the cables as stitch holders, and can even serve as very small frisbees if you're really bored. :mrgreen:

Plantgoddess+
05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
The length of the cables is measured with the needles attached. Without the needles my 32" cables measure about 23". Haven't used the caps yet, but I'm sure I will. You can also use them to make your circulars into straights by capping one end and having the needle point on the other end.

Knitting_Guy
05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Plantgoddess is correct about the cables. You got the 32" cables you requested. The only ones shorter than the 32" actually measure about 13 or 14 inches without needles.

Put needles on them and measure.

tarrentella
05-19-2008, 05:26 PM
those screw on caps are brilliant. I have been using my interchangables for the first time on coachella, and the caps were great for making a spare cable into a large enough and secure stitch holder, and as i often take my knitting with me (i like to take it to work to work on on breaks) i am much happier knowing the needles can be taken off so as not to snag things and the caps put on the keep the kntiting in place.