PDA

View Full Version : need opinion from magic loopers (not how-to)

boyforpele13
05-19-2008, 08:53 PM
if you were reading a pattern intended for magic loop in the round, would you be put off it you had to re-arrange the stitches once per 8-row repeat in order to accommodate a pattern, for instance, like a 4+1 repeat where on the first pattern row, you need 64 sts on one needle and 65 on the other to accommodate the +1, but on the next pattern row, you need the 65 to be on the first needle and 64 on the other because the +1 is in the beginning.

if this is offputting to you, would you rather see 65 on both sides so that way the 4+1 works on each needle individually, but then creates a barely-noticeable-because-of-the-pattern (but I notice it) extra stitch in between needles?

suzeeq
05-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't quite know how to work it out, but if there's that many stitches, can't you use one circular? A 16 or 24" ought to handle 130 sts pretty well...

boyforpele13
05-20-2008, 12:20 AM
it's actually a sock, i was using random numbers divisible by 4, sorry!

suzeeq
05-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Okay, I wondered if that was the actual stitch number, or if you were just giving an example. Have you searched to see if others have done the same pattern to see what they did?

boyforpele13
05-20-2008, 01:56 AM
it's actually my pattern i'm submitting for publication. however, during sock wars, the magic loopers had to adjust stitches once per repeat and no one seemed to mind. a friend of mine suggested it might be too much...

Debkcs
05-20-2008, 02:58 AM
I don't mind rearranging stitches, but once every eight repeats (if I read it right) might be too much.

Magic loop is my favorite sock method now.

Mirl56
05-20-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't magic loop (I'm a 2 circ girl) but I would hate to have to rearrange stitches at all, let alone that often. Maybe that's why I don't ML....

Knitting_Guy
05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Wouldn't bother me, might some others. I say write your pattern the way you want and people can either choose to make it or not.

fargo_knitting
05-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't mind rearranging the stitches because it is so easy to do on magic loop, that is if the rearrangement happens where the cable is looped. It would seem easier on ML then on any other method. Good luck on your design.

Mariblue
05-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't mind rearranging the stitches. I've had to do that before, and with magic loop it's no big deal to readjust the stitches. :thumbsup:

MMario
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm very confused by the question, since my understanding with magic loop is that you only have ONE needle to begin with...

and normally with a 4+1 or 8 +2 or whatever pattern in the round the "plus whatever" drops out of the patterning....

but I wouldn't mind adjusting the stitches anyway.

Knitting_Guy
05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm very confused by the question, since my understanding with magic loop is that you only have ONE needle to begin with...

and normally with a 4+1 or 8 +2 or whatever pattern in the round the "plus whatever" drops out of the patterning....

but I wouldn't mind adjusting the stitches anyway.

Well, with ML you are actually working with two needles that are connected by a cable. He's talking about changing the stitch count back and forth between those two needles to maintain the pattern repeats.

Even knitting in the round that "+" will still be there to maintain a pattern. I've done several "+ x" patterns in the round and if you don't have that '+ x" there you'll wind up with a spot at the beginning of the round where the pattern repeat isn't right.

1to1
05-20-2008, 01:08 PM
I like to do socks 2 at a time with ML and rearranging stitches is kind of a pain. IMO

boyforpele13
05-21-2008, 01:10 AM
thanks everyone! i personally don't think it's a big deal, like some of you mentioned, pretty easy on magic loop, but my sample knitter was questioning it and it got me wondering. aside from it not being bothersome to me, i think since i'll be addressing it in the pattern instead of allowing ML'ers to try to figure it out on their own and potentially get irritated, that might be better too. i will make mention of it in the pattern notes.

the pattern is such that it is not TOO terribly noticeable if you do the 4+1 on both sides, but it bugs me anyway. :)

thanks everyone for your input!!!!!

Limey
05-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi

I don't find a problem with re-arranging stitches. I think it would be well worthwhile writing an explanatory note on the pattern, pointing out the + and the shuffle - could save some angst.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

All the Best

Ellie