PDA

View Full Version : dental implants..good or bad??

Pat in Ca
05-20-2008, 04:15 PM
My dentist is recommending an implant!!! I am sooooo scared.. I am a big baby when it comes to pain..One friend said to look into a marilyn bridge instead?? Does anyone have any experience with dental implants.. or marilyn bridge? thanks

Debkcs
05-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I have a friend in Texas who has had four or five implants (I'm headed that way). She doesn't get the novacaine shots, because she says there's not that much pain involved, but others have told me different. Once she's home she takes "a" Tylenol and naps.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Knitting_Guy
05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I know people who have them and they said it wasn't bad at all.

I plan to get them myself when I can afford it.

Oh, one thing about them, they work better if the tooth is removed first :mrgreen:

gamerchik
05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm going to be getting an implant (probably within the next year) and although it makes me nervous too, my dentist assures me that it is absolutely the healthiest option for the teeth/gums (and he's not the one who does it, so he's not making money from it) because the implant will act like a real tooth and will thus prevent bone loss, etc.

Personally, I am not interested in having the healthy surrounding teeth "ground down" so that a bridge can be put in -- to me, that sounds very unpleasant.

I've heard countless success stories about the implants and the hygienist at my dentist's office is also very pro-implant (he said that you can clean/floss an implant just like a regular tooth, whereas sometimes with bridges, stuff can get trapped underneath and that just sounds nasty, lol).

Anyway, I hope that helps!

stitchwitch
05-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Implants are fabulous if you don't smoke and you don't have any type of periodontal disease. Basically, if you lost a tooth to injury or decay and the surrounding teeth are healthy as are the tissues you will have success. Smokers have less success and are more susceptible to implant failure. The implant surgery isn't as bad as it sounds, it's kind of like getting a wisdom tooth out. The time in the chair from start to finish of the whole procedure from initial consult and initial impressions to final seating of the implant crown can be a drain since it takes a few months (healing and all) and you'll probably be seeing a couple of dentists (one surgeon and a general dentist). Once it's complete though it's just like having a natural tooth. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Sewing Angel
05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
My DS19 is getting 5 in September. He was missing permanent teeth. I'm not worried about the procedure itself, I'm more concerned about the cost. Medical insurance will pay for the implant (80% + the deductible) dental insurance will pay only a small part of the prosthesis. Implants total are $10,400. and prosthesis are $1,300.00 each! Thats correct ,the total is $16,900.00!!!! It is a great thing to have, but the cost is absolutely absurd! I'm thinking we will pay between $8,000.00 & $9,000.00 out of pocket. I've been freaking out about this for several months now. We will be making payments for a long time. Oh and he has never even had a cavity. He still has braces on, so when all is said and done he will have over $23,000.00 in his mouth! It just blows my mind. Sorry I got off on a rant, it just all came spilling out.
As for the bridge, I would be concerned about the adjacent teeth. Also, bridges do need to be replaced at some point and there is a lot more maintenance with them.
Angel

Shandeh
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I used to work in the administration office of an implant dentist, and saw several successful implants. If I could afford one, I would get one or two myself. :thumbsup: They are awesome!

bjc1050
05-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I've had two successfully and am trying to save for two more. The last quote a few months ago was $2000 for each plus the abutments put in by my regular dentist plus the crowns to go on them. Looks like it will be pretty close to $6000 when they are done. May have to just get one this fall and the other whevever with gas prices the way they are.. Was hoping to have them both put in this fall.

bjc1050
05-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Must say the process wasn't too bad. The periodontist who does the implants did the extractions. After 40 years of being too afraid to go the the dentist, with God's help I finally mustered up the courage to get my teeth taken care of. DH was a dental tech for about 20 years, but I was too scared to go. I would have preferred childbirth to a dental visit.

Puddinpop
05-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Good for you. Glad you got the courage to go. I am 52 so I have a lot of big fillings in my teeth that are on their last leg(?) Anyway, my dentist told me that eventually they will have to have crowns on all of them. I just had the prep for another one. I hate the pain, but it's not a lot of pain, when you think about it. A little pain for the pain shot and maybe, it's not enough and they make a nerve jump. Then when they give you another shot, it's over. I think we just get tense and nervous.

Pat in Ca
05-23-2008, 01:04 AM
I had a consultation ... I was shocked at how expensive it is and I don't think insurance will help.. I told him if he wants to keep me quiet he better knock me out..so I have my tooth pulled in a little over a week.. then I have to decide what I want to do..My tooth hurts..I am such a big baby...

Denise in Michigan
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Pat, could that be a "Maryland" bridge you're talking about? If so, I got one about 25 years ago that lasted for 18 years. I had no problems with it at all. When you floss your teeth, you just use a floss threader (available at drugstores) to get the floss under the bridge. Easy!
I understand that people who are missing a tooth and have sound teeth on each side are the best candidates. There's no surgery involved. The dentist roughens up the backs of the teeth on each side to help the adhesive bond the bridge's "wings" to your teeth.
The only reason I still don't have that one is because I didn't realize it had loosened and a cavity formed underneath one of the wings. After that, the Maryland bridge was no longer an option. I'd get another one in a heartbeat, but I'd get in the habit of trying to jiggle it occasionally to make sure it hadn't loosened!

Pat in Ca
05-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Denise ,, thanks for your information.. I asked the dentist about the Marilyn bridge, and he said since I have crowns on both sides, I would have to do lots of work on those teeth (remove crowns put new ones on, etc.. so the bridge could work well.. the cost will probably be more for that..I am still researching the option though, and it is very encouraging that your bridge lasted that long...did you eventually have to get an implant?

Denise in Michigan
05-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Pat, sorry not to reply right away but I've been away a few days! The dentist said I had two options: 1) an implant with a filling in the tooth next to it that got the cavity. or 2) a regular bridge with the teeth on each side crowned and a "falsie" in the middle.

I would have liked to get the implant, but my insurance covered more of the regular bridge, so guess which I got? Yep, the bridge!;)

shifio
05-30-2008, 03:21 AM
i had a tooth out yesterday, and it wasnt too bad, i had jad a root canal done a week before and it didnt work, it is a back toth so we havent discussed if im going to replace it or not yet, was in a lot of pain, before and i cant talk much today , to sore, my hubby says yea peace. lol

cphkat
05-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Pat,

I had an implant a few years ago on a front tooth. Long story short...it was damaged as a child, roopt canel, crowned a couple of times and then I had problems. The tooth had to be removed and that had to heal before the implant could be done. It was a long process. The actual work wasn't toooo bad. In all honesty, it was the best thing I could have done. I can bite into and apple now! I couldn't do that with the crowns I had. I don't know how the bridge would've done because I haven't had one, but if I ever needed to choose again, I would definitely go with the implant regardless of any and all negatives. :hug:

Pat in Ca
05-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks so much for the info.. I go in Monday for the extraction..
then I need to heal for 3 months before the implant..(so I can save some $$)!!! It sure helps to hear others have gone through this..

Shandeh
05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
The doctor I used to work for did a neat thing with his patients. After their implants healed, he would take them out for a steak dinner! Some of them had not had steak in a long time, because their traditional dentures prevented it.

Pat in Ca
05-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow.. I love steak.. I guess I will have to chew on one side for awhile...

bjc1050
05-31-2008, 07:33 PM
The doctor I used to work for did a neat thing with his patients. After their implants healed, he would take them out for a steak dinner! Some of them had not had steak in a long time, because their traditional dentures prevented it.

Maybe I should show this to my dentist when I have the next implants done. I want to go to Ruth Chris. :teehee: Their commercials sound sooooo delicious. Have never been. However, the nearest one to us is about 50 miles away.

Hygiene Mama
06-03-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm a Dental Hygienist and I would recommend implants to those who would qualify, meaning, if you've got periodontal disease, that does not make a good candidate. You need so much bone in order to place the "post". Also, when or if you get an implant, metal is forbidden. As a hygienist, we have to use plastic instruments to clean an implant because they are so prone to scratching. A very good friend of mine got implants last February, on his mandible and has a full upper denture. It cost him 30K. But, it's so worth it. Bridges are fine too, but you would need to use a bridge threader to get under the pontic (fake) tooth. It's less money and there's still more of a chance of losing the teeth involved in the bridge if it wasn't cared for down the road. I hope that has helped you a little bit. Good Luck with your decision!

Pat in Ca
06-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I just got my tooth pulled yesterday.. not too bad,
But I cannot eat anything but "mushy" food..I think it will be a long time before I can eat steak or anything chewy..
The upside.. maybe I will lose weight!

Shandeh
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Have some mashed potatoes or eggs or yogurt or ice cream! :)

Pat in Ca
06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks Shandah..

I had mashed potatoes last night and they tasted soooo good..

The.Knitter
06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Maybe I should show this to my dentist when I have the next implants done. I want to go to Ruth Chris. :teehee: Their commercials sound sooooo delicious. Have never been. However, the nearest one to us is about 50 miles away.

Ruth Chris is an experience. You have a server who keeps quite an eye on you. He came around with a little brush and brushed the bread crumbs off the tablecloth before serving the main course. When we got there, we were asked if we wanted still or sparkling water and when we said still a bottle of water was produced and served like wine. We chose our meal and side dishes after choosing our cocktail and we had a lovely two hours of blissfulness and being treated like gentry. The problem was when the bill came. You see, we got charged for the bottled water, the main dish course (meat only) was $50 each and each side dish cost at least $10.00. We each had a potatoe and a vegetable oh and the salad was $7.00 each. I am amazed they did not charge us for the bread rolls, but perhaps they did, I didn't look that closely after seeing $300.00 for two people for one meal and we only had one cocktail each. I know the coffee after supper was $3.00 a cup. Yes it was a good meal, BUT $300 worth? I don't think so.

Having said that, the steak was very hot when it got to us and sizzled the whole time we were eating. I don't know what they used to make it do that, but I am sure it is probably loaded with cholestrol.

I got my bridges done four years ago, after having worn a partial denture since I was 16. It is lovely not having to worry about sneezing. My missing tooth was a front tooth. Now they look so nice and natural. I say go for the bridges!

Pat in Ca
06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks Hygiene Mama..

I think I will probably go ahead with the implant if I am able to..
I better start saving my pennies...Dental stuff have become so expensive, but I guess this is a relatively new procedure that was not available before... it sure beats dentures!! I remember my grandparents all kept their "dentures" in a cup of water at night..
maybe as implants become more commonplace, they will come down in price..

Pat in Ca
06-04-2008, 05:22 PM
It's kind of a blur to me now, but I think the dentist said that since i have 2 crowns on either side of the bad tooth, that a bridge was not a good option.. something about they would have to reconstruct those teeth in some way that would "compromise "
them..does that sound right..

Pat in Ca
06-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I won't have any $ left for Ruth Chris.. LOL

Shandeh
06-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks Shandah..
I had mashed potatoes last night and they tasted soooo good..
I'm glad you enjoyed them. :)
Are you feeling better now?

Pat in Ca
06-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Yes,, thanks for asking... it is amazing how fast the body heals...
I just have a big hole right now that feels weird..They said it will take 3 months of healing before they start the process of the implant..
so I have some time to adjust.. but the bummer is when the dentist pulled my tooth, he damaged the tooth next to it.. chipped the crown..the whole side of the crown..
He said he will pay to have it repaired.. but I thought this guy was good... He went to Harvard and Columbia (the IVY league schoools) and he was about 40ish..I thought that was a bit of a screw up.. but oh well...

Hygiene Mama
06-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Yes, that sounds right. You'd have to get the crowns redone to make a bridge and your crowned teeth may already be fragile (if you had root canals on them, they definately wouldn't be in very good shape.).....so that makes sense.

bjc1050
06-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I won't have any $ left for Ruth Chris.. LOL

Me either. I was shocked by a $50 bill at Ruby Tuesday several years ago just for DH and me. We haven't been back since.

VictoiseC
06-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Holy Ship! I CANNOT believe you posted this Pat! I have been in absolute shock for 2 weeks coz 2 weeks ago I got seafood poisoning, causing me to black out 6 times, fall down and knock MY NEW CROWN OUT. I just got my two front teeth crowned at Christmas after putting it off for almost 10 years. I was so happy with them. Then I found out I had broken the right front tooth root, and I am going in for the beginning of getting the implant tomorrow morning. (6 to 8 months of waiting yup)

I was actually laying in bed this morning at 11:30 unable to move I am so scared. I know it's stupid but god, it just sounds so INVASIVE. I also cracked my other new tooth and that will have to be replaced but the root was ok. No insurance coz I just go them done this past Dec. I am so glad you posted this because I've been so whacked out I couldn't even come here and talk about it. (I also broke my finger).

The dentist I saw, a very good one, said the other two bridges I have wouldn't even be done today because root implants are such an advanced technology... no need to destroy good teeth on either side for bridges any more. Not that that applies to you.
So it's a good thing I guess. :pout: ha That is such a bummer that he chipped your other tooth, I can't believe that. Wow. I guess accidents happen to the best of us though

I've actually been praying to get through this like I might die or something. so again, thanks for posting here and it was really good to read the other opinions.
You are not the only baby. :waving:

debknits
06-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Pat get the implants, this is coming from a dental assistant for over 30 years. I have seen so much improvement in implants over the years. My husband has just started two implants. I think he was a little hesitant at first, but he had no pain. I think the down side is waiting 6 months for them to heal, so the crown can be done. The Mercedes Benz of dentistry. :)

Pat in Ca
06-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the good info, guys!! I got my tooth pulled (not too bad cause I told them to put me OUT) I don't remember a thing.. now I have to wait 3 months for it t heal so they can jam that implant in there.. then I have to wait more time before the crown can be put over the implant.. all the while chewing on one side of my mouth..
I am eating slower because I can't chew as fast, so I keep hoping I will lose weight,, but so far , no luck..
VictoiseC.. How did it go? I hope you did not have any pain...I didn't see your post til today..am curious.. did you get the implant or were you just having your tooth pulled?

Pat in Ca
06-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Debknits... that is a good way to describe it.. the Mercedes Benz of denistry.. cause it cost as much as a Mercedes..lol
Thanks for the professional opinion.. it really helps to get the opinon of someone who works in your profession..