PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I did this.........!

cookworm
05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
I've made at least six of Sally Melville's "Einstein Coat" in newborn-toddler sizes now, so you'd think this wouldn't have happened to me because I should be able to do this pattern blindfolded by now.:verysad:

For the latest infant/newborn one I made for a gift for a niece or nephew, for some reason, the buttonholes wound up on the female side rather than the male side of the coat. I'm guessing I probably began the latter stages of the coat with the wrong side facing instead of the right side facing and that's what threw everything off. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this (for whatever reason...maybe lack of sleep!:wink: ) until the coat was completely done. It came out really nice, except for this one glitch.

I guess the question is, what do I do? Do I rip out the whole thing and restart it? Do I hope that they'll have a girl?:teehee: Do I leave it as it is (neither of them are crafters) and hope it'll be okay? Or, do I try to do some manipulations which will produce buttonholes on the correct side and put the buttons on the male side?

I asked my sister what to do, and jokingly, she said, "Do you think anyone will really notice/care?", referring to those hazy first few months when nobody is getting any sleep and it seems that all you do is change diapers, burp the baby, and feed the baby. Could I hope this will be the case? I mean, not to sound mean, but, does it really matter all that much since this is going to be for a newborn infant (not like a school-aged kid that might get teased if kids notice something like this, right?)? I feel so bad about this, and I really don't want to tear the whole thing out because I still have to finish a blanket I started that I'm way behind on, and I want to make sure I have everything done before the shower.

Wildfire
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Just looked up the coat online; can't say as I know what you mean by male side and female side of the coat as the coat looks reversible to me at least if you don't pay attention to which side you placed the buttonholes on. I figure you could either manipulate your garment for buttonholes on the right side or just turn it inside out. But I know how you feel..... Just knowing yourself that you made a mistake feels awful/weird; even if they don't notice it.

Ingrid
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree with your sister. Leave it--nobody will notice or care.

Of course, the baby will turn out to be gay because their buttons were trans-gendered.:rofl:

evona
05-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I really don't think it will matter much and to tell you the truth I bet even school aged children wouldn't care :)

cookworm
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I was going to turn it inside out, since the way the coat is done, the coat looks beautiful on the reverse side, except I weaved my ends in already in the inside.

For the coat pattern, the buttons on the male side means that the buttons should be on the right side and the buttonholes should be on the left; my coat has the buttonholes going on the right side so my buttons will be on the left.

kellee0302
05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
I would say leave it as is. The baby won't care, I'm not sure if I would even notice most of the time.

kellyh57
05-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't think many people know nowadays which side is which or that there is supposed to be a certain side. There are so many gender neutral clothes out there for babies too. They don't go by those rules. Even if they do notice, you can tell them the pattern is gender neutral so they could use it for either if they have another child to hand it down to.

Kelly

LovelyLinda
05-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Of course, the baby will turn out to be gay because their buttons were trans-gendered.:rofl:

Ingrid,

:rofl: That's hilarious! Luv it.

Linda

cookworm
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM

:chair::roflhard::roflhard:
Ingrid, you had me laughing so hard when I read that!!!!!!!

Thanks everybody for your helpful responses. I was hoping it wouldn't matter; honestly, I never notice things like that myself, even on adult clothing, but I wondered, "What if somebody else notices?" Then I thought, maybe it's a sign that my brother and his wife are going to have a girl? :?? :teehee: Since it's a gift, I just wanted the coat to be as near perfect as I could get it, and I felt like this might have been a glaring mistake.

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 04:56 PM

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Hilarious Ingrid!

It's a baby coat, as the baby won't be doing the buttoning, leave it be. I really don't think the baby will care.

cindycactus
05-21-2008, 05:12 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I was laughing so hard my dh came running to see what it was all about. Then he went off laughing. Thanks from both of us.:thumbsup:

snowbear
05-21-2008, 11:15 PM

You are sooo bad!

But I agree. no one will notice.. those days are so foggy anyway...

xxkarenlxx
05-22-2008, 01:16 AM
I'll never forget my son's first button up sweaters. He was in kindergarten and I was helping him dress for picture day. (Yes, I know he didn't really need my help, but he is an only and hey, I'm a mom) He was all set, except for the buttons and when I went to help him, they were "backwards." I couldn't figure it out. Well, when I bought my first "Hawaiian" shirt (yep, I bought it in the men's department, but it was BEAUTIFUL) I quickly figured out that men's buttons (and shortly thereafter zippers too) were on the opposite side.

Let's just say, I don't think mom will notice if the buttons are on the wrong side, and i doubt that dad will care either way if he does notice.

Dangles
05-22-2008, 02:28 AM

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard: :roflhard:

Ingrid you're too funny!

Lisa R.
05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I was an adult (or maybe older teen) before I realized there was a difference...maybe lots of people are like me?

At any rate, I wouldn't undo a perfectly good garment for that reason. If it were for an adult male, I might, but not otherwise.

gotta knit
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I was an adult (or maybe older teen) before I realized there was a difference...maybe lots of people are like me?

I'm sure I didn't care, and my almost-teen dd didn't realize when I made a comment about this sort of thing while shopping recently.
The new parents won't care, handmade baby gifts are always adored!

Crycket
05-22-2008, 11:01 AM
The fun thing about baby coats is that it will end up on a girl eventually anyway.

I always go through the great debate of whether I should even care each time, just because the baby will wear it for like 2 weeks before it grows out of it anyway....

Don't sweat it!

geekgirl
05-23-2008, 02:32 AM
I think if you've knitting from that same pattern that many times.. You deserved a little variety! :wink:

McKnitty
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM

Yes! I've yet to knit anything with buttonholes, and I don't sew, so I guess I've just never noticed. I can't speak for others, but it wouldn't matter at all to me.

knitasha
05-23-2008, 02:41 PM
I asked my sister what to do, and jokingly, she said, "Do you think anyone will really notice/care?", referring to those hazy first few months when nobody is getting any sleep and it seems that all you do is change diapers, burp the baby, and feed the baby.

Let me add to your sister's wise and sensible statement (which doesn't sound like a joke at all): Amen!

Does anyone really think that having the buttons on the "wrong" side will warp the child and give it gender identity problems for life? What makes the left side "feminine" and the right side "masculine" anyhow? (Or is it the other way around? I can never remember.) Those are the cutest little coats around, and you are so nice to make one for the new baby. Who cares where the buttons are?

Lucy78green
05-23-2008, 03:04 PM
What makes the left side "feminine" and the right side "masculine" anyhow? (Or is it the other way around? I can never remember.)
Think it originally stemmed from when posh/rich men had valets to dress them so it was easier for them to button their clothes if the buttons were on the other side. I guess rich/posh women had maids to dress them too so I don't know why it never happened there, or why us normal people copied it.

hummingbird
05-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I say don't worry about it.

For someone who isn't dressing them self - like a baby, the female sided buttons make sense, for some who is dressing them self the male side buttons make sense. The whole girls' shirts have buttons on the other side is a hold over from when women had servants to dress them. Or if you're left handed maybe you want them on the female side anyway.
My shirts go both ways. It doesn't matter. :)

Debkcs
05-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Ingrid, you are just too funny!

Leave the coat the way you made it. No one will know if you don't tell them, and even if they do, it doesn't matter.