PDA

View Full Version : Love The Felted Join!

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 03:37 PM
When the first skein ran out on this sweater I used a normal join for the next one. I never even thought about a felted join.

I just had to do a join for the third skein and decided to try the felted join this time. It really works great!

I just quickly dipped the two ends into some water and then laid them overlapping each other and rubbed them quickly between my palms. Wow, a nice strong join! I gave them a little tug just to test it and they held. It's great!

This is the same color join I'll be using for wool fibers from now on. Love it.

I'm going to let them rest for a little while just to make sure they dry enough that they don't shrink up or anything at that point after they're knit.

LovelyLinda
05-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Glad to hear it worked. I'll have to give that one a try when I'm using wool fibres. Right now I'm using a cotton blend.

Jan in CA
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
I know! I love that one, no ends to weave in!!

lactosefree
05-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Glad to hear it worked. I'll have to give that one a try when I'm using wool fibres. Right now I'm using a cotton blend.

The Russian Join is fantastic for non-wool. I'm knitting with Knit Picks Comfy (cotton + acryilc) and the Russian Join works really well. There is a video of it on here under two colored joining but it works great for same color join using yarn that won't felt.

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 06:16 PM
The Russian Join is fantastic for non-wool. I'm knitting with Knit Picks Comfy (cotton + acryilc) and the Russian Join works really well. There is a video of it on here under two colored joining but it works great for same color that won't felt.

I've tried that one. To be honest I'd rather just weave in the tails.

lactosefree
05-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I've tried that one. To be honest I'd rather just weave in the tails.

It's funny how we all have our preferences :)

I am making an afghan and just thinking about having to weave in 35 balls of yarn makes me feel nauseated - though I suppose I could be proactive and weave as I go, but since I love the Russian Join, I'm pretty lazy about weaving in.

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 06:29 PM
It's funny how we all have our preferences :)

I am making an afghan and just thinking about having to weave in 35 balls of yarn makes me feel nauseated - though I suppose I could be proactive and weave as I go, but since I love the Russian Join, I'm pretty lazy about weaving in.

Yeah, that's why there are so many ways of doing the same thing. I find that join too fiddly and, well, to be honest my close up vision just isn't that good.

Of course I could just put on my glasses, but who wants to do that? :mrgreen:

lactosefree
05-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Of course I could just put on my glasses, but who wants to do that? :mrgreen:

:rofl:

Tutu Carol
05-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi Mason,

Is your "felted" join still holding? what a great idea!

Knitting_Guy
05-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi Mason,

Is your "felted" join still holding? what a great idea!

Yep, held just fine. Solid as a rock.

mimi
05-21-2008, 09:56 PM
If you don't have any water handy, you can spit on them. Honest. It works.

Debbie
05-21-2008, 10:07 PM
mimi, I use spit, too !

LovelyLinda
05-22-2008, 07:03 AM
The Russian Join is fantastic for non-wool. I'm knitting with Knit Picks Comfy (cotton + acryilc) and the Russian Join works really well. There is a video of it on here under two colored joining but it works great for same color join using yarn that won't felt.

Thanks I haven't tried that one. If there's an easier way to do something then I'll try it. Not having to weave in later would be a bonus.

Is it a strong hold?

jess_hawk
05-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I love the Russian join too... haven't had much luck myself with the felted join. I don't know - I must be doing it wrong. I've found the Russian to be an excellent join, I used it in my angora sweater and it seems to hold well for me.

knitgal
05-22-2008, 08:18 AM
I love the felted join too! I discovered it early when I have knitting a blanket made of Manos del Uruguay- I had about 2 or 3 knots in the yarn every skein! I also use spit...it adds a personal touch to you knitting.

Lisa R.
05-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Oh, that is the coolest thing in knitting! Glad you discovered it!

gotta knit
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Are felting and the Russian join really strong?

I usually throw knits in the washer & dryer on delicate, and worry about the ends unravelling. Would be great not to have tails to weave in though.

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 10:16 AM

I usually throw knits in the washer & dryer on delicate, and worry about the ends unravelling. Would be great not to have tails to weave in though.

The felted join is strong, assuming the fiber felts.

gotta knit
05-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Well, you know what they say about assuming things.:wink:

Will it stay strong through years of regular washing?
I think I bought too much wool for dh's sweater. I'll have to make a hat to test it.

lactosefree
05-22-2008, 10:54 AM

Well, you know what they say about assuming things.:wink:

Will it stay strong through years of regular washing?
I think I bought too much wool for dh's sweater. I'll have to make a hat to test it.

For a garment that has the felted join, I would assume that you would not be throwing it in the washing machine - cause then the entire thing will felt, not just the join...

If you're using machine washable wool - i.e 'superwash', a felted join will not hold, as it's not meant to felt.

A handwash garment will hold up just fine with both joins.

As for the Russian join, I haven't put anything with it in the washing machine. I would think if it's on gentle cycle it would be fine, as the join is pretty strong - when you're making the join, you're literally weaving the 2 ends into themselves.

Wanda Witch
05-22-2008, 11:28 AM
You've had better luck with the felted join, Mason, than I did; however, think I was a bit too hasty. Mine was thicker than the rest of the yarn. I will have to give it another try as it would be so much nicer than weaving the ends.

Newbie2Knitting
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Oooo - I LOVE the felted join, and sign me up as another who just uses spit. I agree; it adds that personal touch that means so much.:mmm: Wanda, you might try snipping some of the plys out of each end before you felt them together. That seems to help mine with the thickness. I only do that, though, when I'm using a chunkier yarn, mostly b/c I'm just too darn lazy. ;)

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
You've had better luck with the felted join, Mason, than I did; however, think I was a bit too hasty. Mine was thicker than the rest of the yarn. I will have to give it another try as it would be so much nicer than weaving the ends.

Yeah it will be thicker, that's just the nature of the beast. I just knit those two stitches where the join came in a bit tighter than the rest so they wouldn't show as much,

evona
05-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I just watched the video for the felted join AND the Russian join and I am going to have to try them both!!!!!! I love it!!!

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I just watched the video for the felted join AND the Russian join and I am going to have to try them both!!!!!! I love it!!!

Fun learning new stuff eh?

knitasha
05-24-2008, 08:04 PM
If you don't have any water handy, you can spit on them. Honest. It works.

Spit is supposed to be even better than water.
I bet beer would work, too.

Knitting_Guy
05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Spit is supposed to be even better than water.
I bet beer would work, too.

Hmmm, dunno if I'd want to have my work smelling like beer.

Of course that rules out my spit too, for the same reason :rofl:

boo1
05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
feltable wool! :inlove:

Glad you're a convert now! :)

iwouldratherbeknitting
05-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes, I love the felted join too... and I used it on almost all of the color changes on the log cabin knitted squares that I have been working on... (photo is in: what'cha knitting)