PDA

View Full Version : Interesting factoids about ballet knits

bambi
05-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I went to ballet class tonight complaining that I needed to knit a ballet sweater. My teacher used to dance with ABT under Balanchine in the 40s. She said they used to knit their own tights! She also told me that they would take a regular cardigan sweater and instead of buttoning it in the front, they would stretch it and button it around the back. Truely a tight wrap! Probably the forerunner of the current ballet wrap sweater.

Anyway, that's my fun factoid!

Bambi

mwhite
05-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Very interesting! Knit their own tights? Now that's dedication!

suewoz
05-22-2008, 12:49 AM
My daughter was a ballerina. They always wore leg warmers which of course you could knit. they are like knee socks without the feet. But I can't imagine knitting the tights. wonder what kind of yarn they would wear. they also wore light sweaters that wrapped around the body and tied in front. Could knit those if you could find a pattern.

She was a lovely ballerina but as she got into college it became too much to keep up with that and her studies. I was sad when she finally quit but also I knew it would be a hard life. So was glad she got her degree.

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Ballet...I've heard of that.

Ronda
05-22-2008, 11:51 AM
That is interesting, but it makes me very, very glad that my daughter takes ballet in 2008! I have yet to even attempt a sweater, so I don't imagine me knitting ballet sweaters or tights! I pay about $17.00 for a pair of tights, but they are made of steel, I think, and last my daughter a whole ballet season (September to May). I did buy her a ballet sweater last fall. Those dance wear stores are EXPENSIVE. :shock:

bambi
05-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Mason, you ought to try a class! My DH did the adult scene of the Nutcracker with me and had this to say:

"If I had known when I was 16 that I would be the only guy in class and I could put my hands on all these beautiful girls, I would have been doing this for years."

And, Ronda, I've had the same two pairs of tights for years! They last forever. I'm going to attempt a ballet sweater but I have a little V neck with elbow length sleeves that I can't find in any dance shop or website. I just have to figure out how to do it.

Bambi

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah I'm sure I'd be really graceful with this bum hip

Most days I'm doing good to just walk without lurching like Frankenstein's monster. :rofl:

suzeeq
05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Yoga could help loosen up your hip.

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Yoga could help loosen up your hip.

Or disable it completely :rofl:

Bicycling is the best thing I've found for it. I just got back from a ride and it feels a lot better.

bambi
05-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I love biking, too. Haven't in a while due to an active 2 y/o. Seriously, lurching or not, most adult ballet classes are SO excited if any man comes. Could be any age and any level and the teacher and students are grinning like idiots!

Bum hips can be a hamper but I danced in a class in Chicago with a 68 y/o man with two artificial hips.

Ballet and yoga are about the only forms of exercise I know that work the inner thigh muscles. After biking, my quads are so tight!

:thumbsup:

Bambi

Ronda
05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Dancing classes were never an option when I was a kid, which is why I've gone out of my way to provide my daughter (and son) with options to try different things. DD started dancing at age 3 (jazz, hip hop, but mostly ballet) and is going to a very good ballet school now at age 10. There are times I wish they would offer an adult beginner class!! I would love to learn, but they would have to provide a room with no windows, a class with all adults, and NO RECITAL! Ha!

Mason, what's up with the hip? I have a bum hip and knee too (car accident at age 21 - fractured left hip, left leg, and left ankle). I have been wanting to try Pilates and Yoga, but I need to find a spare moment in my life...

jess_hawk
05-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Mason you should try ballroom - I took a ballroom class at college last semester, one of the guys who was actually (shockingly)decent had a broken leg and was dancing with a walking cast. I'm a big fan of straight guys in dance classes (ever watch the movie Center Stage, anyone? See how the girls just melt for the straight guys?), and as mentioned, they're rare so if a guy joins a ballet class they're probably the only one around, leaving them therefore the pet of all the lovely ladies.
I did ballet from age 3 to 18, and I vaguely remember when I was younger it was sometimes chilly in the winter and I had a sweatshirt I would wear, but nobody in my class wore legwarmers or other shirts/sweaters/etc. until we were in at least middle school, at which point legwarmers and sweaters became way too much for me because of the simple physics of the building. The teacher had a "babies" class right before us - that's the 3yo's and 4yo's, so she'd have to crank the heat to keep them warm. Then we'd walk in and within minutes we'd be broiling and end up with the door open and heat off (in mid-winter no less) just to keep from getting overheated. I have much higher tolerance for cold than for heat and just my tights and leotard were sometimes almost unbearable.
Regardless of how much I hated dance class (and I would like to point out that it was my own choice to continue doing it, my parents would have been only slightly disappointed if I stopped and that only because I hate team sports and therefore dance was my "sport") - I really miss the music, the lights, the glamour, and the high emotions of recitals. Maybe sometime I'll find an adult class once I'm settled with a job and such. My last set of shoes still fits and I still have them...

Debkcs
05-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Sigh . . . I truly envy those of you who can dance. I've had so many surgeries, it's impossible now. Doesn't mean that I can't get pleasure from watching those who can, though, and I do. Especially the little ones.

My DDIL is from Argentina, she tried to teach my son the Tango. Finally she said,"If you don't ask me to join you in Civil War activities, I won't ask you to hurt my feet learning to tango." :teehee: