PDA

View Full Version : New to Socks-needle advice

mrsbzb
05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Good Morning! For my birthday, I ordered some needles to hopefully learn to knit socks. I decided on the knit picks in us 1 (2.0), 2 (2.75) and 3 (3.25) with a 32" cable to try magic loop for socks. I am beginning to think that maybe I am getting in over my head. My order is still pending so I think I could call in and swap the needles for 3 others. What do you think? Are those good sizes? Would the 2 circs method be easier? I do plan to pick up us 2 dpns from the lys as well.

Thanks!

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Magic Loop isn't all that difficult. I think maybe 2 circs is a little easier, but the idea is basically the same.

Go for it either way. It's always good to know multiple techniques anyway.

Mirl56
05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Personally I prefer 2 circ method, but I've never taken the time to learn ML. I do not think it is difficult to learn - there are plenty of tutorials & videos on the web to use for learning it (I am just too lazy to try it).

Your sizes are good - I use size 1 or 2 most often for socks. At some point you may want to get 0. 32" long is a good length for ML - maybe not long enough to do 2 socks at a time. But maybe it is, I'm not sure since I'm not a MLer.

MerigoldinWA
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
I've never done Magic Loop either, but I'd like to learn. The sizes you got sound good for socks. The 32" should be long enough, but maybe some like one a little longer, or shorter. That's just the thing, what works best of one person may not for another. I hope the 32" will work for you.

Ellieblue
05-22-2008, 07:54 PM
I am doing a pair of socks on 32". It was kind of tricky to start but as they get longer it seems to be ok. I wish I had ordered a longer circular. It can never be too long when doing ML.

losnana
05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I always do my socks on ML, but find a slightly longer cable to be easier. 32" is certainly doable, though.

Crycket
05-22-2008, 10:57 PM
I like DPNs, specifically 5...