PDA

View Full Version : having 2nd thoughts about pure wool

gotta knit
05-22-2008, 12:50 PM
So dh's wool sweater is more than 1/2 done. The more I see about felting though, the more I think I've made a mistake.

The acrylic sweater this one is replacing lasted 10+ yrs of regular use, machine washed & dried on 'delicate' very regularly. (I think it was Patons Shetland Chunky, 75%acrylic 25%wool.) He's outside a lot in the winter and around the shop, so always getting dirty.

Should I make something else out of the wool, and buy acrylic for the sweater that's going to be worn and washed constantly?

knitgal
05-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Well, you definitely won't be able to wash it the same way you washed the other one, so if you're looking for something that you can throw in the washer and dryer, then I would say use the wool for something else. You could use Paton's again?

suzeeq
05-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I think you'd do better with a blend, it'll stand up better to more use and washing.

Cynamar
05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
If he wears it a lot and it has to be washed frequently and you don't have time to hand-wash every time (meaning you have a life), I would use washable wool and save the pure wool.

gotta knit
05-22-2008, 01:13 PM
3 out of 3 replies already agree with me. Why didn't this occur to me a couple months ago?:wall:

Oh well. I guess I'm going shopping.

tarrentella
05-22-2008, 01:25 PM
if you still want the luxury of wool don't forget things like acrylic/wool blends, which stand up to a lot more, or superwash wools.

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah pure wool pretty much means hand washing. Superwash is a great alternative and that's probably what I'll use for my next sweater.

candicane
05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I LOVE superwash wools.

candice

knitasha
05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Superwash IS pure wool. It's just been treated to resist felting in the washing machine. But most makers do advise you not to put it in the dryer.

If you want to machine wash AND dry the sweater, you'd be better off with an acrylic-wool blend like the Paton's or Encore. They're the best of both world for someone who wears his clothes hard.

Crycket
05-25-2008, 10:25 AM
The only project I made out of pure wool in the whole project was a jacket... (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Crycket/the-sweater-fix-project)

It is the best thing cause it is warm even when it gets wet...and I can take it off if I need to, and best of all....it doesn't need to be washed all the time.

I have made it small enough to get under my winter coat, but big enough to be a spring jacket....I would personally say, if you have enough real yarn for a "cardigan" or jacket...do that... and get something easier to wash for a everyday wear sweater.

jeanius80
05-25-2008, 01:00 PM
i like wool for a few reasons. Even if you have to handwash it, it will need less frequent washings. Wool is inherently less staticy (sp?) meaning it won't hold onto dust and dirt the same way, say, acrylic or blend will. It's warmer and more breathable than acrylic, as well as being cooler as it regulates temperature much better. Wool has natural wicking properties and will feel warm even when wet! I wouldn't give up hope :)

gotta knit
05-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the advice. The comments about wool staying warm when wet remind me why I bought wool, and I'm glad I only set it aside for now. Actually found some 'Cozy Wool' in the stash (70/30 blend), and figured out how to actually make the cable & twist top-down, so I'm starting that.

He always wears it over several layers, but that's why it would get the dirt & grime rather than sweat, and still need lots of washing. Both the pure wool & the blend I now have are much darker than the original though. Maybe he'll end up with both!?