PDA

View Full Version : Chili For Dinner

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
I rode my bent to the grocery earlier and picked up the stuff to make a nice big pot of chili. It's been simmering on the stove for a while now and the smell is starving me out.

I can't wait for it to be done. Not bragging, but I really do love my chili and so do a lot of other people (at least they've said so while wiping the sweat from their foreheads).

Yum, yum!

cdjack
05-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Sounds good. I love chili, but then again I'm from Texas.
My dh and I lived in Ann Arbor, MI for five years and I had a lot of bean and veggie soup that they called chili. Before I moved there, I didn't know that there was more than one kind.

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Sounds good. I love chili, but then again I'm from Texas.
My dh and I lived in Ann Arbor, MI for five years and I had a lot of bean and veggie soup that they called chili. Before I moved there, I didn't know that there was more than one kind.

:rofl:

Yeah there are certain parts of the country where I'll order chili and certain parts I'll order anything but.

Pat in Ca
05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
OK.. this is too funny.. I am making Chili today too!! We must be telepathic..since we were both furiously posting on KH today..OK..
Lets here your recipe.. here's mine..(LOW FAT and LOW CALORIE ..
My hubby has heart disease)

CROCK POT

one large 46 OZ container of V-8 Juice
as much chicken as you like
as much Lawry's Chili packet or spices if you prefer
I large can of Chili Beans
1 large can of corn..

I am really a boring cook, but I like this.. yours is probably better, but I am on weight watchers constantly and v-8 is zero points.. and my hubby thinks I am trying to kill him if I make it fatty...

Pat in Ca
05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
oh I forgot.. Since this is in the crock pot, I take the chicken out at the end and cut it up and put it back.. it is like shredded and just falls apart it is so tender.. we had a change of weather here in Southern Cal.. cooling off with threats of thunder storms.. perfect for chili

Pat in Ca
05-22-2008, 06:56 PM
I meant lets hear your recipe..

Debkcs
05-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Pat, I think Mason would call your recipe 'Bean Soup'. :)

We usually make 'Chili Colorado' and occasionally the ground beef and bean type.

My DH is a Texan and doesn't take kindly to 'Northern' chilis.

Cynamar
05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Mmmmmmmm. Smells good from here! On my way......

Jan in CA
05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
My DH made a big Crockpot of chili for the last day of class last Wed. I don't know exact amounts of anything, but it had -

black beans
pinto beans
kidney beans
a small amount of garbanzo beans
can of tomatoes
big onion
10 cloves garlic
ground beef
green bell pepper
diced ortega chilis
a little tomato paste
cumin
crushed chilis
chili powder
paprika
salt and pepper
a touch of molasses

Pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. He and everyone else said it was delicious!

Cynamar
05-22-2008, 07:49 PM
You must have a HUGE crockpot! I use a crockpot for mine because every single thing sticks on my electric stove. I hate it!

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, I never give up my chili recipe (it's won a couple of chili cook offs) but suffice it to say there's a half dozen different kinds of peppers, several different spices, and lots of meat, beans, and assorted other little goodies.

If it doesn't make your forehead sweat it isn't good chili :mrgreen:

Pat in Ca
05-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Jan
That sounds delish!! Sounds like your husband is a creative cook..lucky you..

Jan in CA
05-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Jan
That sounds delish!! Sounds like your husband is a creative cook..lucky you..

He does almost all the cooking! :thumbsup:

Debkcs
05-22-2008, 08:48 PM
He does almost all the cooking

Color me :mrgreen: !

Mason,the cookoffs I entered didn't allow beans. I LIKE beans in my chili! My days of eating super hot foods are over, but I can still get high on the fumes.

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Color me :mrgreen: !

Mason,the cookoffs I entered didn't allow beans. I LIKE beans in my chili! My days of eating super hot foods are over, but I can still get high on the fumes.

I've never been to one that doesn't allow beans. Chili without beans is just...wrong.

mimi
05-22-2008, 09:52 PM
What is a bent?

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
What is a bent?

LOL a recumbent bicycle.

Here's a pic of my bent

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/1616/mybike1jq.jpg

Puddinpop
05-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I want to know what bent is, also. I can't eat beans because of Ulcertive Collitis. I like my chili without it, but it's definitely not soupy.

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I want to know what bent is, also. I can't eat beans because of Ulcertive Collitis. I like my chili without it, but it's definitely not soupy.

We must have been posting at the same time. See the post above yours.

mimi
05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Does it collapse so you can take it with you?

Knitting_Guy
05-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Does it collapse so you can take it with you?

Nope, it's a six foot long bike and it's solid.

I do have a folding bike that I carry in the truck with me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2514582507_489cb6bd7d.jpg?v=0

saracidaltendencies
05-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I've never been to one that doesn't allow beans. Chili without beans is just...wrong.

I agree! Wouldn't chili without beans just be soup?? :teehee: It's gotta have beans!

I would post my dad's chili recipe, but, I don't know what all he uses. It's a vegetarian chili and it's wonderful! Unfortunately he doesn't make it as spicy anymore when I go over there with the kids 'cause the kids refuse to eat spicy foods...I can't possibly be their mom :teehee: I LOVE spicy!

cdjack
05-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Just like there is no crying in baseball, there is no beans in chili.
It's just meat, onion, a bunch of spices, pepper, garlic, maybe some tomato juice, maybe a dash of cornmeal, and that's pretty much it.

Knitting_Guy
05-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Just like there is no crying in baseball, there is no beans in chili.
It's just meat, onion, a bunch of spices, pepper, garlic, maybe some tomato juice, maybe a dash of cornmeal, and that's pretty much it.

I think everyone has their own idea of what chili is supposed to be, but I want beans in mine.

Sunshine's Mom
05-23-2008, 09:52 AM
You guys are making me hungry!!! I love chili, however, my better half hates it so I've never had the opportunity to make it. It's strange that he doesn't like chili because he LOVES spicy foods. Sweat-producingly hot foods!! I think it's the beans he hates.

And - to throw in my 2 cents with no offense to others - chili needs beans. If there's no beans it's meatsauce.

cdjack
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I think everyone has their own idea of what chili is supposed to be, but I want beans in mine.

You're right. I should just say that Texas chili doesn't usually have beans in it. Before I moved to the midwest, I didn't that there was any other kind. In Ohio, I had meat sauce served over spaghetti and they called that chili.

Knitting_Guy
05-23-2008, 10:42 AM
You're right. I should just say that Texas chili doesn't usually have beans in it. Before I moved to the midwest, I didn't that there was any other kind. In Ohio, I had meat sauce served over spaghetti and they called that chili.

That's interesting. Maybe it's a regional thing within Texas but most of the chili I've had there had beans.

You must have had the Skyline chili. Terrible stuff IMHO.

Debkcs
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
In the official rules, set by the ICCI, no fillers, such as beans, macaroni, hominy, etc., are used. That's for the official cookoffs. Others may have their own rules. I was raised on the ground beef and bean type, and make what some have called 'the best' :mrgreen: chili. Over the years, it's gotten a lot milder though. No more 'making you sweat'!

Knitting_Guy
05-23-2008, 12:34 PM
In the official rules, set by the ICCI, no fillers, such as beans, macaroni, hominy, etc., are used. That's for the official cookoffs. Others may have their own rules.

True, but the ones I go to are more the local kind. They're a lot more fun.

Puddinpop
05-23-2008, 12:45 PM
That bike does look comfortable.

Knitting_Guy
05-23-2008, 12:48 PM
That bike does look comfortable.

Very

Puddinpop
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, I love hominey in the bottom of the bowl under the chili!

Cynamar
05-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Do you all make cornbread to eat with your chili? I didn't grow up eating it that way but started it when Julianne was little. She thinks you have to have cornbread with chili.

cdjack
05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I like mine ladled over Fritos with diced onion on top. HMMM... Frito Pie!

Jamers
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I like mine ladled over Fritos with diced onion on top. HMMM... Frito Pie!

Oh geez, now I am HUNGRY. I love Frito Pie! I like to pile shredded cheese on mine too.

saracidaltendencies
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Wow, I had no idea there was chili made without beans...Being a mid-westerner all my life, I always thought the beans were the main part of the chili and everything else was added for filler and flavor...lol

Cynamar
05-23-2008, 02:01 PM
When I lived in North Carolina my boyfriend called chili "chili beans". Here that is what we call one ingredient.

Dangles
05-23-2008, 03:14 PM
How can one not have beans in chili? Mmmmmmm, chili. I like spicy so I reckon Mason's would hit the spot.

Jaxhil
05-25-2008, 07:15 PM
mmm I love chili!! I'm a Texan (San Antonio area) and I make mine with beans ( black and pinto!) and ground beef...yummm! definitely with choice of shredded cheese and cornbread or Fritos, too!

One time loooong ago, I had the opportunity to taste my Granny's chili~ I was shocked at what she called chili! :teehee:~NO beans, NO tomatoes etc~ it was basically just ground beef and watery "sauce"..maybe some onions. She's a Texan, but lived near Waco. Maybe they do it differently, there? :shrug: I was highly disappointed! Sorry, Granny-I love ya! But I can't abide chili without beans and tomatoes! LOL!

Raeknitsnwa
05-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Sadly enough I love chili but hate beans & every person I know who makes chilil makes it with beans but man chili does souch good can I get someone to sened me a bowl lol...:happydance:

Debkcs
05-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Cyndi, I 'have' to have either cornbread (with green chilis and cheese and onion) or Fritos with my chili when we have the beef and bean type.

I love cornbread just about any way it's made.