PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Love

fireflyknitter
05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Check out my new houseguest!

Her name is Chloe, and she's a 10 week old Lab/mini Poodle mix (Labradoodle :rofl: ). She's staying with me while her owner is on vacation. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I've never had a puppy myself (apartment dweller here) and this little munchkin seems to have a little chewing problem... any suggestions on what to do to get her to stop gnawing on stuff, short of taking everything out of her reach?

cloud9

Wanda Witch
05-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Chloe is a darling. But a ten-week-old puppy needs to chew. Maybe some rawhide-type (or similar) chew sticks are in order. That's what we've always supplied to our little ones. However they still might get hold of shoes. No, not a pair but one each of several. Hmmmm. Toys, and chewy things, I think. Enjoy her.

Puddinpop
05-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Yes, I would get the skinny stick type rawhide. It's small enough for the little puppy. They chew constantly when they are puppies.

snowbear
05-23-2008, 05:34 PM
She is a doll. Puppies do chew. electrical cords, shoes, etc. i've used rawhide chews, the very small ones about the diameter of a pencil. The best think I can suggest is to keep her in the crate unless you can keep an eye on her. It's just like teething. They chew on all kinds of things. I once had a puppy chew on my ultimate favorite pair of shoes. But, she only chewed on one. Then she found my daughters favorite pair, and chewed on one of hers. So, if you can't see the pup, find her fast! lol

Enjoy and give her a hug.

bjc1050
05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
I agree that rawhide treats are the best, especially the chicken basted ones. My 3 dogs love them. All I have to say loudly is, "rawhide" and their ears perk up.

Silver
05-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Yep, you have to puppy-proof just like you would baby-proof. Remove all non-chewables from her reach and replace with plenty of puppy friendly chewies. My pups love rawhide and it keeps them busy for quite a while. Ropes are another favorite of theirs. Good luck and have fun with your temporary puppy! :)

Blissknits
05-23-2008, 06:40 PM
At ten weeks, unless they're sleeping, you can't let them out of your sight for a second! They're teething like crazy, and with tiny little bladders, they have to potty about every 3.5 seconds. :wink: Its either one or the other....

The best thing to do (besides never ever let her out of sight) is to put everything you don't want chewed out of puppy range *and* provide lots of nummy puppy chews that are way more appealing than, say, your computer cord.

Rawhides are good, but you (alas) have to supervise that chewing too. They can try to swallow a stick all at once, or swallow too much of a stick, and that often requires surgery. We found the flat pieces of rawhide more puppy-friendly than the sticks. Carrots and ice cubes are also a big hit. :)

The other thing to do is to make sure she gets plenty of play time. Puppies will go a million miles an hour and then *crash*. You will learn to value "crash-time." :) If she has a crate to sleep in, so much the better. She will quickly learn that crate-time equals sleep-time, and you can, say, take a shower without worrying about an electrical fire.

I gotta tell you though, our house was never cleaner than when we brought home our little bundle of joy.:wink: She's a just a year old now, and has only recently stopped chewing shoes we're silly enough to leave out. Now she just carries them around occasionally and drools on them. Little dear. :inlove: Have fun with the puppy, she is adorable!

mwhite
05-23-2008, 06:46 PM
What a cutiepie! They love lots of attention! Enjoy the little sweetie!!

mks22300
05-23-2008, 07:47 PM
What a cute puppy!

fireflyknitter
05-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I've only had her less than a day and I've already noticed the "crash time" phenomena! I think it bummed my nephew out because when I was watching him too all he wanted to do was play with the puppy and all miss Chloe wanted to do was sleep! When she was dropped off, they brought a doggy carrier type thing that I'm to use as a crate but she so far hates her little carrier and likes to nap on the couch. She cries when I put her in the crate and I don't have the heart to ignore her crying :(

She also came with a little hollow bone that you fill with water and freeze for teething, and a soft toy with a squeeker (the squeek scares her) but she would rather chew on my hubby's flip flops or my rug, or fingers or toes-- you know, whatever's handy!

Wanda Witch
05-23-2008, 09:02 PM
You, Dear, are going through puppy-hood. They are soooo cute and then can drive you up the wall with their chewing and crying. I have been most fortunate with the latter however. I just put the critter in bed with me (d.h. has his own 'nest') and that will do it. I KNOW I spoil 'em rotten because I love them so. This is not your puppy, I know, but spoil her to death and then - tee hee - the parents will come home and - well, you get the picture?????

fireflyknitter
05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
You, Dear, are going through puppy-hood. They are soooo cute and then can drive you up the wall with their chewing and crying. I have been most fortunate with the latter however. I just put the critter in bed with me (d.h. has his own 'nest') and that will do it. I KNOW I spoil 'em rotten because I love them so. This is not your puppy, I know, but spoil her to death and then - tee hee - the parents will come home and - well, you get the picture?????

Oh I intend to spoil her totally rotten :mrgreen: If I could keep her in bed with me I would, but the mister doth protest too much, boo! When I was younger, my dog slept in bed with me-- she was a pound doggy with severe seperation anxiety and she would destroy things if she wasn't around her people. I know now that there are programs and stuff to break them of that kind of behavior, but I was 10 and I just thought my dog missed me!

eladine
05-24-2008, 08:18 AM
She is soooo cute! And she seems to have you right around her little paw also....

The rawhide chews are good - however you do have to watch as previously said they don't try to 'bolt' a big bit. The ultimate favourites for the doggys we've had as puppies, are the rope thingies - the ones with a knot either side?

They're also not *quite* as bad to put your bare foot upon when they've been chewed and left on the floor as the rawhide ones are... which tend to stick to your foot... euwwwwww!

Spoil her rotten for the time you have her, but if you can try and make the cage non scary... try hiding treats just in the doorway - don't force her to go in, but on the other hand, don't let her ignore it completely!

Have fun!!
And sending lots of scritches to Miss Chloe...!

dustinac
05-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Enjoy your puppy sitting she is a cutie!! :happydance:

Blissknits
05-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Re: carriers. They really are a godsend, especially if you ever want to leave the house. :wink: We put our puppy's crate by our bed, and for the first week or so, I slept with my arm hanging over the edge of the bed, dangling into the crate. :) It wasn't the *most* comfortable sleeping position, but it worked. It made it easier to know when she needed to go out, too, because she'd start nudging my fingers. :)

We popped her in her crate a *lot* when she was tiny. Like, if I had to run to the garage for two minutes, in she'd go with a treat. Take a shower? In with a treat. And so on. We relocated the crate from bedroom to living room during the day. She learned really quickly that crate time = treat time *and* that she wouldn't be stuck in there forever by herself. Oh, and she had to be quiet before we'd let her out. Just for a split second cease in the whining. She figured it out in less than a day. :)

Pretty soon she'd run in there whenever she needed a time out. Dogs like a little den where they can go and not be bothered. :)

She has a much bigger crate now, and she doesn't get locked in anymore, but she'll still go in it and take naps. Its "her" space.

I can't wait to get another puppy. Widdle puppy tummies, widdle puppy breath. :heart::heart::heart: :sigh:

fireflyknitter
05-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Well hubby and I went to the pet store and got miss chloe a rawhide chew, and after appearing utterly disinterested in it for most of the day, she finally showed some interest in it... by pooping on it. :wall:

Blissknits
05-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Take her to the pet store with you and let her choose. ;)