PDA

View Full Version : New KH Feature: Photowall

sheldon
05-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

I created a simple little feature for KH called the KH Photowall. It's basically a photo gallery were anyone who uses flickr can add their photos too simply by adding a knittinghelp tag. Take a look at the page and click around and you'll see what I mean:

http://photowall.knittinghelp.com/

I have set up a few different photowalls which anyone can add photos to simply by tagging their flickr photos with either of these tags:

knittinghelp
knittinghelp-fo
knittinhelp-wip
knittinghelp-stash (thanks kellyh57 for the tip!)
knittinghelp-kids (new!)
knittinghelp-pets (new!)

You can add multiple tags to have your images appear in more than one photowall.

I'd be thrilled if some people tagged their photos with knittinghelp so that photowall would fill up :cheering:. It currently has only 1 photos :(

If you come up with any other ideas for photowalls let me know. Each wall holds 100 photos and once it reaches its capacity the old photos are bumped off to make room for the new ones.

I hope you enjoy it. I may expand upon it if KH'ers take a liking to it. Also, I know some will ask if it will work with other photos sharing web sites, and I am afraid it only works with flickr. I may integrate others later on.

UPDATE:

I added a new forum profile field for us to add our flickr usernames. If you go to User Settings and the Edit Profile if you scroll down the page you should see it. It's not being used for anything currently. It would be nice to be able to attribute the photos on the photowall to the KH member they belong to. There's a lot of great things being posted and I'm constantly thinking "WOW! Who made that?"

And this field is optional. Your photos will still end up on the wall, they just won't have your KH username attributed to them.

- Sheldon

figaro
05-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow! I think I need to get me a Flicker account! What a great addition to KH. And I can't believe I am the first to see/comment on this!

You guys take wonderful care of all of us, thank you for all you do!:hug:

kellyh57
05-24-2008, 10:56 PM
How about a yarn category. That's the other thing I think we all like to photograph and share with our KH buddies :)

Kelly

Knitting_Guy
05-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I tagged some photos to help kick things off. Sounds like a lot of fun.

sheldon
05-24-2008, 11:03 PM
How about a yarn category. That's the other thing I think we all like to photograph and share with our KH buddies :)

Kelly

Great idea, I justed added a knittinghelp-stash photowall. Tag away!

Jax3303
05-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I had fun playing around with it, and I tagged a bunch of my FO's and a few wip's :)

cam90066
05-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Wow....how fab is this! Even with my slow DU it's great to see all the creative projects. THANKS!

cam

saracidaltendencies
05-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Awesome! Off to start tagging :)

Plantgoddess+
05-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I got a few of my photos tagged. I realized I'm falling behind on photographing FO and getting them uploaded to Flickr. That means I'm even further behind on getting things on to Ravelry. It cuts into my knitting time.

Eccie
05-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I tagged some things, I need to organize and post descirptions. I usually just upload and link to ravelry but now I have a reason to decorate the flickr pages :)

gingerbread
05-25-2008, 11:47 AM
OK I just got a new camera, :woot: so any who how do I get an account on Flicker?:shrug: So until I can figure how to do this I will just keep taking pictures on what I make. Hope to be on here soon.:happydance:

:waving:

tarrentella
05-25-2008, 12:48 PM
just been browins the photos! i need to hurry up and get things done so i can add to it!

and who made the celtic pillow? that design is absolutey beautiful!

heatherg23
05-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't know what "tag" your photo means. When you upload a photo to flicker you can't "add" something to it. I read everything from that announcement thread and it doesn't make much sense.

oh well.......HG

cam90066
05-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't know what "tag" your photo means. When you upload a photo to flicker you can't "add" something to it. I read everything from that announcement thread and it doesn't make much sense.

Below every image you post to your flickr acct is a 'tag' box. Input the KH info there. (There's also a 'description' box where you can provide details on the photo.)

cam

cam90066
05-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes or no to including crocheted items? Do you want tagged items limited to knit?

cam

feministmama
05-25-2008, 02:05 PM
SO once you tag your photo then what?:??

cam90066
05-25-2008, 02:26 PM
SO once you tag your photo then what?

Open the photowall for the appropriate tag and your images will appear along with others with the same tag.

cam

sheldon
05-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone! This is really great to see so many of you embracing this. :cheering: I am shocked at how fast the photowalls are filling up. I am definitely going to make them larger than 100 images each!

I am already seeing other ways I might improve upon this. It would be nice to know which images belong to which KH members so you could contact them if you found a photo that inspires you. It might also be neat to click on a KH member and see all the photos that person has added to the photowalls. This is quite exciting! :happydance:

- Sheldon

bethany
05-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Niiiiiiiice!!! (Insert Mr. Creepy Clapper here!) ;) Thanks Sheldon!

Knit4Fun
05-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Thank YOU Sheldon - for all that you do! What a great feature...off to tag... :muah:

sheldon
05-25-2008, 03:02 PM
FYI: I added a new profile field for us to add our flickr usernames. If you go to User Settings and the Edit Profile if you scroll down the page you should see it. It's not being used for anything currently, but as I mentioned in my previous post it would be nice to be able to attribute the photos on the photowall to the KH member they belong to. There's a lot of great things being posted and I'm constantly thinking "WOW! Who made that?"

And this field is optional. Your photos will still end up on the wall, they just won't have your KH username attributed to them.

Thanks,

-Sheldon

cam90066
05-25-2008, 05:17 PM
it would be nice to be able to attribute the photos on the photowall to the KH member they belong to.

Wondered about that seeing as it was likely those viewing might have questions about the project. Thanks for Profile addition.

cam

CognizantAmiga
05-25-2008, 08:15 PM
WOW!! Sounds really cool. Can't wait to check it out.

cam90066
05-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Sheldon,

When viewing the Photowall pages 'transferring data from farm3 (or farm4).static.flickr' starts running and haven't found way to stop it (neither Stop menu button or Esc work). It locks up my sys and I have to close out browser, and in one instance, log out. Ideas?

Thanks,
cam

sheldon
05-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Sheldon,

When viewing the Photowall pages 'transferring data from farm3 (or farm4).static.flickr' starts running and haven't found way to stop it (neither Stop menu button or Esc work). It locks up my sys and I have to close out browser, and in one instance, log out. Ideas?

Thanks,
cam

The images are pulled in off of flickr, so those farm3/4.flickr.com are normal while the images are being loaded or when you hover over an thumbnail.

Right now it pulls in 100 images at a time which may be more than slower connections can handle. I am working on some refinements and may make it so you can view less images per page.

cam90066
05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
The images are pulled in off of flickr, so those farm3/4.flickr.com are normal while the images are being loaded or when you hover over an thumbnail.

For me, this kicked in after all 100 images were done loading and kept chugging away. I do have DU so that may be the issue.

Right now it pulls in 100 images at a time which may be more than slower connections can handle. I am working on some refinements and may make it so you can view less images per page.

Sounds good! Thanks for all your hard work.

cam

sheldon
05-26-2008, 01:13 PM
For me, this kicked in after all 100 images were done loading and kept chugging away. I do have DU so that may be the issue.

Sounds good! Thanks for all your hard work.

cam

It will continue load things even after the 100 thumbnails are loaded. When you hover over an thumbnail it will start to pre-load the image in the background in anticipation of you clicking on it. It does this to help reduce the load time when viewing the larger images.

sheldon
05-26-2008, 01:20 PM
UPDATE: Just added two new photowall tags: knittinghelp-kids and knittinghelp-pets. :happydance:

cam90066
05-26-2008, 01:24 PM
It will continue load things even after the 100 thumbnails are loaded. When you hover over an thumbnail it will start to pre-load the image in the background in anticipation of you clicking on it. It does this to help reduce the load time when viewing the larger images.

How intuitive! I'll make a concerted effort NOT to 'hover.'

Thanks again.

cam

sheldon
05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
I just added a direct link to the KH photowall (http://photowall.knittinghelp.com). It should appear when you hover over the Community tab. Also, the photos now display the flickr username of the user whose photo you're viewing. I am still working at getting it to display the KH username. Remember to add your flickr username to your KH forum profile (under User Settings, click Edit Profile and scroll down).

Also, in case you missed it, I added two new tags: knittinghelp-kids and knittinghelp-pets.

Thanks,

- Sheldon

Cynamar
05-27-2008, 01:25 PM
AWESOME!!! I just signed up for flikr just now solely for knitting stuff. I will put my pet and kid on there for this, though.

sakura-panda
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Cool idea! I added one just to see what it would do. ;)

I haven't been taking pictures of my work; I guess I need to start up again.

It looks like it is displaying my user id, although it could just be that my Flickr and KH user names are the same. :)

ValFaz
07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
:thumbsup: Great photos! They are all so awesome...can't wait to post one of my finished projects.

sheldon
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
I am just unsticking this thread to free up room. Here's one last bump in case anyone missed it. :mrgreen: